Unregistered Flying Saucer (Bio-Cup 2024 Prelim)

Built for Bio-Cup 2024 Preliminary Round - Space.

IMG_2511a

One day, this alien may find that planetary satellite rumored to be made of “cheese.”

Alt Main Photo:
IMG_2519a

Turn me right round
IMG_2419a
IMG_2431a
IMG_2435a

Daring to Approach:
IMG_2490a
IMG_2493a

Dome, No Dome:
IMG_2448a
IMG_2459a
IMG_2510a

Saucer Base:
IMG_2508a
IMG_2506a
IMG_2505a

Extras:

Click Me!

IMG_2409a
IMG_2438a
IMG_2443a
IMG_2444a
IMG_2445a
IMG_2446a
IMG_2516a
IMG_2534a

Flight Test Video:
Imgur

Thanks for taking a look at my Bio-Cup entry. Normally I would have more things to say, but I’m really tired right now. Maybe I’ll throw in something later. But as always, comments and criticism are welcome.

19 Likes

That shaping on the flying saucer is so incredibly clean and flush that it provides a really nice contrast between it and the NPU alien

Good work with this one!

5 Likes

Loved the flight test video lol, icing on the cake

3 Likes

he should be careful, he could get fined for flying an unregistered vehicle

4 Likes

What are the lime green pieces? I don’t recognize them.

3 Likes

@Ghid Thanks!

@Wekua Thanks! The video was a last minute idea to prove that the Duplo egg top fit snugly on top of the Roborider canister lid. I feel it shows the saucer shape better than most of the photos.

@Hawkflight Nah, I’m sure it’s fine as long as the Space Police never catch him. :stuck_out_tongue:

@TheJerminator That is one of the Racer air pumps.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=87943#T=C

They come apart; the tube/pipe, base, and pump all separate and can be reconfigured for easier storage. In this case, it’s just the pump placed upside down.

4 Likes

That’s a cool part to use, and a very cool way to use it.

I also just noticed that the eye is a Barraki squid; more very cool parts usage.

4 Likes

This was honestly one of my favorites from the preliminary round. Really captured the theme in a great way and I couldn’t help but smile when I saw it. Lots of fun parts usage and the repetition to create the body of the saucer is really clean. Air pump was a great idea for the Alien, and my only crit on the build itself would be the top of the cockpit studs. Not sure you could have cleaned them up and rounded them, but it would have made the build really clean.

Personally, I think cleaner photos would have helped propel you even further in the rankings. The build is cool and cute, the parts usage is great, and the idea is easily identifiable without needing a description, but the photos make all of that a bit harder to see. I always love seeing your creative entries during Bio-Cup, awesome work overall and can’t wait to see what you cook up in round 1!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah, I did try to smooth out those studs. But I don’t have much Duplo, so I’m not used to working with it. Not that anything I tried really worked with the shaping even if I could have gotten the parts to attach. Even with the saucer, I would have liked more color and used the Tahnok-Kal and Nuhvok-Kal faceplates but didn’t have enough of them.

Though yes, I knew that my photos were going to be the biggest problem…only a day or two before I needed to take pictures. I spent six hours experimenting with lighting and trying to eliminate the glare as much as possible. Never quite succeeded, but I have since learned of a camera lens that should help with this issue. I’m hoping it arrives soon for my next entry because I’m definitely going to need it.

3 Likes