Uses of Protodermis

You mentioned Magic does not exist, but how was it that the Mask of Life unleashed its power to make flora and water come onto Spherus Magna and how was it that Kanohi masks have powers given to the wielders?

Also another thing, I know that you answered shapeshifting protodermis, but what about a Slime-like protodermis (Green, oozing, slimy, but with Protodermis features)? Is a Slime Protodermis possible?

2 Likes

There is slime protodermis. Itā€™s the substance that the character Tren Krom is made from.

And honestly, the legendary masks could be described as magic, given that they completely disobey the laws of physics sometimes (more so than other Kanohi).

2 Likes

Great Being technology. It may seem like ā€œmagicā€, but is really just advanced tech. The term used in universe is powers and those are created by the GBs, or by their creations. Only the GBs know answers to these questions.

Yes there is. There is a Rahi producing slime, which Krahka morphed into:

The shapeshifter transformed into a squat, slime-caked creature with wicked blades for hands, something that made even a Hordika look good.

What DuneToa menationed is described in story as gelatinous protodermis:

Even when I look back now, I remember only a scarlet mass, a face that was not a face, tentacles lined with tiny, sharpened hooks, eyes that were little more than holes in a gelatinous skull, and that voiceā€¦

He couldnā€™t get the image of Tren Krom out of his mind ā€“ a writhing, crimson mass of tentacles emerging from a gelatinous central core, with two dead yellow eyes that somehow followed every movement without ever moving themselves.

When the Toa of Stone caught up to him, he found Kopaka standing over what looked like a piece of scarlet gelatin.

So far, he had killed Tren Krom and Karzahniā€¦ one a madman, the other a gelatinous mass of hot air.

4 Likes

Okay so Tren Krom may be a slime-like and gelatinous creature that is partially made of Protodermis. Is there such a thing as a tree or plant enhanced with Protodermis? If so is there a Wood-protodermis alloy as well or maybe a piece of wood that is polished and hardened with a protodermis polish?

2 Likes

For the third time, everything in the Matoran Universe is made of protodermis (with very limited exceptions). As such, the plants are fully made of protodermis.

What would that even look like? Alloys are typically homogeneous combinations of different metals, but truly organic wood, as would be found on Spherus Magna, canā€™t really be melted down and mixed. It could be interesting to see, though.

The Great Beings made an entire universe from scratch; Iā€™m sure they have the ability to put metal on a stick. We can do that.

For the above two points, though, while the Great Beings certainly could, thereā€™s still the question of whether or not the Great Beings would do that, at least with protodermis specifically: there are plenty of cases of the Great Beings augmenting the nature of Spherus Magna, but itā€™s unlikely that they would have used protodermis for those projects and rather would have used other metals, such as Exsidian.

3 Likes

The closest thing I can think of is that one tree that grows in the melding alternate universe. But we do not know if that one was made out of protodermis or was just an enhanced tree of Spherus Magna:

When the lights came on again, the swamp strider was heading right for a massive tree banded with golden metal.

But as others have said, GBs could certainly do something like that if they really wanted to.
If there is Ussal wax for polishing crab shells (MNOG), then Iā€™m sure a wood polish exists in MU. Speaking of crab shells, that is a nice example of a homogenous mixture of metallic and organic protodermis, just like your hypothetical wood-metal alloy would be:

ā€œOur prospectors believe it to be rock, but it has higher organic levels than any mineral composite weā€™ve seen.ā€
ā€œOrganic?ā€ Whenua seems surprised.
ā€œYes,ā€ the Captain affirms. ā€œIt seems to have more in common with an Ussal Crab shell than any normal stone strata.ā€

5 Likes

Wait you really think so too?

Okay I know that Protodermis ca be what I said above. But is there a chance that Protodermis can be either radiating with radioactive energy leaking out? I mean Radioactive Decay would play a role in this because Protodermis is both metallic and organic, and Protodermis might be metal-like right?

And another thing, is there a chance that some Protodermis can be cursed? I know that the Ignika Kanohi Mask was able to curse a few people, more specifically a Great Being as well as the Barakki.

2 Likes

It could be either, but not every sample of protodermis is necessarily both.

Sure; you said it yourself: the Ignika can curse protodermis-made beings. Cursed protodermis.

And we know from the Cursed Great Being that the Ignika is capable of making the curses permanent, so thereā€™s no reason that it couldnā€™t permanently curse a block of protodermis.

As with everything else in this topic, itā€™s not a question of whether it could happen, itā€™s a question of whether it would happen.

3 Likes

Indeed, that is how I meant it @Au-Plau-Se. Not all of protodermis is metallic/organic mixture, only certain components of some living beings (again, not all of them, just some of them). Take an Ussal crab for example - it has muscles (purely organic protodermis), leg segments (purely metallic protodermis) and shell (mixture of organic and metallic protodermis).

As for WHY the organic/metal mixture is a part of its design, that is never stated, but it is easy enough to deduce: organic content likely gives the shell some level of flexibility and regenerative properties (organic proto is known to regenerate fast). It may also serve as means to easily grow a new shell after the Ussal molts the old shell to grow larger (which is implied they do e. g. Pewku).

We are never given any indication that radioactive decay is a process that even exists in Bionicle universe, and we canā€™t say for sure because it does not always follow the physics of our universe.

I agree.

2 Likes

Wanted to point out myself that Iā€™m pretty sure the GSRā€™s fuel source is not energized protodermis, but some other substance submerged in energized protodermis, that the EP is converting into fuel.

4 Likes

The Pit Mutagen is created by radiation from Karda Nui. This is an example of radiation in the Bionicle universe.

3 Likes

It is a radiation, but not a product of radioactive decay - radiation is a general term. The one you mention is unique to the GSR power source.

4 Likes

The Energized Protodermis is only there for stability; the actual power source provides the fuel:

I believe it was implied, if not outright stated, that the power source that Mata Nui used to power the Prototype Robot is the exact same as in the Great Spirit Robot, just without the stabilizing Energized Protodermis.

EDIT: Now Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re the same. Greg has previously said that the Power Source would not work in the Great Spirit Robot, but he has also said that the Power Source is the same thing that is powering the Great Spirit Robot:

Perhaps theyā€™re the same type of energy, but harnessed/contained in different ways?

4 Likes

Okay, interesting, thank you

3 Likes

It seems to me they are the same type of energy, but the two vessels are only compatible with their respective robots.
Considering the Prototype was not made of protodermis (it probably wasnā€™t invented yet otherwise GBs would surely use it), it seems likely that the container for the first power source was also made of non-protodermic material.
MU is protodermis-based and its second power source is probably too. This is where the incompatibility may have arisen from. But that is just my speculation.

2 Likes

Look. I was asking if there is a chance that Protodermis could be radioactive or not.

Also another thing, I know that crystals with protodermis are formed. Is it possible to synthesize a gemstone made with protodermis in a Lab, kinda like Lab grown gemstones?

2 Likes

Not that we know of.

Gems do exist in MU:

ā€œExcept have something I wanted ā€“ an intact lava-gem, a rare find on the Tren Krom peninsula,ā€ Vultraz replied.

Since MU is artificial, its gemstones are already essentially lab grown, or formed by processes natural to the MU, which GBs set in motion. Replicating natural processes in a lab is one of the ways synthetic gemstones are created even in real world. So once again, the answer is yes, but we have no reports of this ever occuring.

3 Likes

Can energy from Ultraviolet light or electricity be stored into Protodermis crystals?

2 Likes

Yep. Lightstone rifle:

The Lightstone Rifle is capable of firing electrified Lightstones which shatter when they make impact.

4 Likes

Okay I know that protodermis can be for those following, but can Protodermis be mixed with Terracotta or clay to make some sort of material? If so, what would the pots that are made of the mix be like? Is it metallic and hard? Organic or inorganic?

2 Likes