Vakama: Dystopian Pyro

To whom it may concern,
Thank you for viewing my MOC. I have had several projects in the past that were so ambitious as to be ruined by my limited parts collection and turning a good MOC’s concept into a poorly executed mess. I’m only 14 but LEGO has been my life since forever, and I’m much more keen in building with System than CCBS, so please forgive this MOC should you find it mediocre at best, much like the lighting in these quick shots I took.

The idea of this MOC is toa Vakama from an alternate universe where the other Toa Metru are swiftly destroyed by Turaga Dume and the Vahki. Vakama roams the mutated wasteland of the island, succumbing to the mutinagenic effects of Makuta’s darkness and growing more evil each day. The Makuta eventually gain complete control of Vakama and puts him in a deep sleep. He is then transported far into the future of the regular Bionicle timeline on Mata Nui (after Makuta is intially vanquished) with his new cyborg body and equipment to revive Teridax, and make a clean sweep of the island, intending to destroy every last Matoran…

His equipment includes a jetpack, a “HyperTorch” flamethrower, a double pronged spear/sheild-like weapon, and heavy duty Tungsten-alloy armor, with its material stripped from our own universe during Vakama’s journey to future Mata Nui.

His proportions and build are inspired by the profile of covenant elites from the Halo franchise, with a large, hunched back, low shoulders, wide calves and large, toed feet, and a slouched neck. He is also meant to carry the zany proportions of the characters of Transformers: Animated with a thin waist but a wide torso. Initially, the character was supposed to be a shipmaster, with some armor to show allegiance with his troops but patches missing (hence the exposed red parts) to allow mobility and comfort and reduce weight.

My biggest goal going into the project was creating a body without the Inika build. This, for me, meant creating one with pieces from scratch, which was accomplished well. However, the cramped space in the torso’s build made it nearly impossible for me to create shoulders with articulation.This is when I began imagining hunched over, hulking warriors with great strength but lumbering movement. So I kept the forearms minimally consumed with decorative kibble and tried to make a fulfilling range of elbow movement. I’m certainly happy with the result. The figure accomplishes my vision, so playability was the last thing on my mind.

There really is no shortage of kibble on the MOC, but I feel it all creates an interesting detail and adds to the artificial demeanor. I enjoyed incorporating the hoses and tiny, nearly invisible gears wherever space would allow just to have no idea what they would do. The transparent green tube from the backpack to the flamethrower is obviously supplying flammable material for the flamethrower to spew out, but why are there valves extending from the shoulders? A good MOC should always make the viewer think like this.

Thanks for taking a look! I’m nothing special, but I would really appreciate if Ven took a peek at this even on his own time, just because of how much the MOC spotlights have inspired me to build. Hopefully random viewers appreciate this too. Its amazing what such a small amount of pieces can do.
-Bailey Lemire

21 Likes

Yo dude cool moc but quick remove the ven bits so no one starts screaming at you or doesn’t take this moc seriously

3 Likes

It’s cool to see new members on the Boards, especially since Bonkle’s cancellation. Make sure not to double post either, it’s the only way to make people even more mad than seeing a MOC that’s a submission for Ven’s show, which he picks at random, making sure to exclude the people that say that their MoC is exclusively for it.

I think that’s all the advice you need, enjoy your time bro

1 Like

This is alright, an interesting build and story. I like, reminds me of ye old days of MOCing. I like it.

2 Likes

@squeaverking Thanks for the advice, but other than this MOC, i’m not trying to impress anyone. Besides, I rethink my decisions all too often, and may never get posts I want up to actually get there. My fingers itch to build every second of every day, and I’m only now learning the wonders of this website. That’s a beautiful combination. I made a mistake, but now I’m making it clear that I know I screwed up. I’ll post when I feel it, and Ven doesn’t need to know I even exist, because that’s not what the boards are all about.

Other than that, thanks for welcoming a newcomer. This place is awesome, and you can count on me making more posts as time passes. Like I said to ThatchMac, I’m home.
-B.L

@MaximusPrime It was really a last minute throw-in. I started with the hunched over back, but there was a lot of space in between, so I traced it rather smoothly with some female cross axle pieces and had them end out the back with a flame piece off of the gen 2 wave 1 Tahu’s sword. The same piece is featured in the flamethrower. Lastly, the wings are the pincers of a visorak.

@Sonus I do play some online YuGiOh, and that’s probably where I drew inspiration. I havent played Magic before, but you’re probably not far off.

@Chromeharpoon Thanks. I’m glad you think so. More on the way!

3 Likes

(quick bro before they flag you for double posting, use the tag thing. Just type @(insert user here) and you’re good)

I read it too, and saw you liked Halo. I love Halo too, and we have tons of topics relating to it on the boards, from discussion to RPs.

(@TheWaywardWobbuffet I mean delete the post above that one, and tag Thatch in the other one with the same message)

1 Like

The title sounds like the name of an MTG card.

2 Likes

This is amazing! I love the cool jetpack you gave him.

1 Like

Welcome to the Boards! Don’t worry, the MOC looks great.

2 Likes

Agreed. The color scheme is amazing and the build looks fluent and great. The weapons are definitely one of the best things. I give it a 9/10

1 Like