Viruses in emails from a fake TTV?

Just checked and nope, I did not.

This is really old stuff to be honest. The idea of emails having virusā€™s isnā€™t new and shouldnā€™t be treated as anything other than what it is. This isnā€™t a pandemic (Pun intended) where everyone

A computer virus has two goals;

1. To complete a task on a computer
  2. To share itself to other areas

If you have a good anti-virus software on your computer then chances are the virusā€™s main goal wont be achieved and itā€™ll simply try using your email to send off the fake link to others.

Whoever has access to the TTV email address must have clicked an email with a virus or being sent an email with a virus. That virus then sends out spam emails to members who the email has contact details for.

The alternative is that the problem lies with ā€˜Discoursehosting.comā€™ getting a virus and that transmitting to members who have signed up with the site (hence ā€˜Kevinā€™) and then spreading to everyone on their contact list (Which would be anyone on the boards)

====

Main solution would simply be the following;

ā€˜Donā€™t open any emails from TTV - delete them immediately.ā€™

Iā€™m sure a staff member can probably correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but Iā€™ve never really known TTV to randomly message users via their email accounts. If you know you are going to get an email from them or something, then sure, check it looks legitimate and has a title that matches what you were chatting about and then open it.

HOWEVER, if you havenā€™t spoken or received emails from TTV before, then why even bother to look at it? Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™d be easier for TTV to message you on the boards anyway than to find your email on the boards and then proceed to open up a email service and write it out. In essence what Iā€™m saying is that its best to query these things and think about ā€˜why would i be getting a message about a PSN card code from TTVā€™

4 Likes

could test in a virtual machine what it does

1 Like

I know, Iā€™ve received obvious email viruses before, itā€™s that we have a lot of younger members on the boards, which is a friendly place, so whilst in different circumstances Iā€™d just ignore it, I thought I would just alert others who may see the friendly face, and be more trusting.

Also, @Darknova3529, wonā€™t bother with anything like that, itā€™s probably just your normal virus - it will mess with your computer.

I donā€™t know what happen I didnā€™t even know what happen! I swear bro I Donā€™t know where the link is from ether please forgive for causing this IM so SORRY

I think that you got the email because itā€™s the account thatā€™s linked to your YouTube account. Then, you subbed to TTV? They probably took that info and emailed you bc youā€™re subbed to the channel?

Hey, @NoobyninjaLOLOL can you refrain from double posting, and replying in ALL CAPS?

3 Likes

ok sorry

1 Like

For the record, this is just a spam bot, and itā€™s not being emailed from our email but rather from @NoobyninjaLOLOLā€™s email. Our boards have a ā€œreply with emailā€ feature that allowed users to receive updates on topics and reply to it via their email offsite.

When this is done, the user who is being replied to is sent an email with the reply attached.

We have not been hacked. This email that was sent is just an automated message from the Boards. Our boardsā€™ auto-detection was able to block access to the link, so even if you were to click on it it would have taken you to a 404 error as the message was deleted the second it went live. @NoobyninjaLOLOLā€™s account was also deactived during this interim.

@NoobyninjaLOLOL, your email appears to be compromised though, Iā€™d recommend changing your passwords and maybe consider making a new email to use.

12 Likes

thank you thank you I swear I donā€™t know what happen or when did this happen. I donā€™t know the link as well nor do i know whereā€™d it even came from. Again sorry for this discussion I hope you all forgive me

1 Like