Voriki, the Hidden Deity

Hello, everyone!
The MOC that I want to show you this time is something quite… extraordinary: it’s my reimagining of the infamous fake leak Bionicle character, Toa of Energy, Voriki!

Here I just wanted to experiment with some building techniques that I don’t normally use and generally have fun designing a cool character, so I simply let my creative juices flow…and that’s what came out in the end.

I didn’t give my version of Voriki any story, all I have is that he’s an Artakha-like legendary being with great control over energetic stuff n’ things

Anyways, let me explain some of my design choices:

I tried to carry over the iconic traits of the OG Voriki (such as the mask, the staff and purple colour) to my version, and I think that I succeeded… sort ofmaybe
Well, like I said, I just wanted to have fun this time, so I might have not followed my own rules that closely.

So, I think that the staff is quite reminiscent of the original one, but my mask choice probably needs clarification: the OG Voriki’s mask was a squished Pakari with four lightning bolt patterns added to the corners, so I tried to sort of mimic that look using the Skull Scorpio/Basher mask that reminds me of the G2 Pakari (the 2015 one) and some trans neon green Bohrok eyes.
And yes, I used the newer purple instead of the old one, because that colour is a pain to work with (and I don’t have a single piece in it, surprisingly). But building with the newer purple wasn’t much easier for me, since I don’t have that many useful pieces in it either.

The MOC has a lot of accessories (not to the Artillery extent though), so there are quite many display options:

Alright, time for another text blob!

Let me give you an advice: never, never add friction extenders to the ankles of a medium-sized MOC with a lot of small brittle details, that’ll save you a couple of mental breakdowns while you’re trying to pose it. Believe me, I’ve been there…

I’m out of wise things to say, have some more pics:

Okay, here’s a little quest for you guys: this MOC’s appearance was inspired by a certain character form a certain show, can you guess which one?

Alright, that’s it for now! Thanks for viewing, tell me what you think!

64 Likes

needs more purple

3 Likes

The color blocking on this is fantastic. Any good samurai MOC is a MOC, of course.

2 Likes

Okay this is the only Voriki I can take seriously.

2 Likes

Pretty neat! I like the usage of minifig arms as thumbs. Creative

1 Like

Thanks!

Actually, I’m not the first one to use this technique, it’s a pretty old trick and not a very common one, but I’ve seen some people use it over the years.

Haha thanks!
I definitely wanted to pay tribute to the original Voriki, because, while that thing was pretty dumb, it still managed to cause major havoc in the early days of Bionicle, I’ll give it that.

Thank you so much! I’ve been practicing colour blocking a lot in my newer MOCs and I think I’m starting to get slightly better at this.

I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t think that adding any more purple would improve anything. Not only would it break the colour blocking, but it would also make no sense in terms of the concept that I’m going for in this MOC

7 Likes

ok. you do you.

The parts usage here is incredible and very creative. I especially like what you did with the waist cape and the chest. I will say though the similarities between Voriki and your Voriki are very few and makes this moc look like a completely new character, I myself didn’t recognize it was supposed to be Voriki until I saw the name, but its still a cool moc nonetheless.

4 Likes

Great work! I love the use of purple for the skirt/loincloth, and the ring of electricity is a pretty cool way of adapting Voriki’s mask.

2 Likes

I love this, bro. As everyone already mentioned, the faulds and floating circle (raijin circle, I believe it’s called) are both excellently done.

Another detail I loved was his kneecaps using a printed piece; printed pieces are so hard to use given how specific they are, so it’s impressive that you’ve been able to integrate one naturally here.

I also love the belt you included using the yellow tentacle piece, very creative usage there. So yeah, nice work, bro. Keep it up!

2 Likes

@THE_DOOR_OPENER Thank you very much!

Yeah, those were an extremely lucky find. I just happened to have exactly two of those printed tiles (I actually don’t know where they’re from, some Star Wars set, probably) that fit the style of the MOC perfectly

2 Likes