Warhammer 40,000 discussion et cetera

I cannot help but notice that this message board, which I intend to frequent in the future, lacks a dedicated WH40K thread.
This heresy must be corrected, in the name of the Emperor!

5 Likes

figurines are great. can;t figure out the game

1 Like

…nope never heard of it. What were we talking about again?

1 Like

It’s a sci-fi universe.
Imagine Lord of the Rings, in space, with all the settings turned up to eleventy billion and set on fire. For reference, the human race has been (correctly) described in the same words as the Daleks in the past.
The tagline for the game give a good general description:
"in the grim darkness of the forty-first millenium, there is only war.
I personally haven’t played the tabletop game, but the tie-in novels and video games are quite good!

3 Likes

GREY KNIGHTS

are the best

1 Like

I haven’t done much with it in a couple years due mostly to school, but I actually used to/will again play the table-top miniature war-game. A group of about four of us from where I used to work (and later my little brother) all decided to start it together, but only the boss and I every really played more than a couple games. He collected Dark Angels and I have a small collection of Tyranids. I can’t wait until I graduate so that I have the time and, more importantly, money to get back at it.

3 Likes

Before saying anything, sorry for bumping this topic.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a set of the basic paints/tools? I’m looking into getting into the hobby, I’m reading one of the books (Scars) at the moment and it got me interested in the universe of it. I’m still undecided on which army/race to play, though I do like the look of Chaos Daemons… cough BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD cough

It really depends on how in-depth you intend to get into decorating your minis. Heck, it even depends on which army you go for. More colors=more money. Swarmy armies=more money. More layers=more money.

Honestly though, 40k is so frickin’ expensive for the models alone, the paint and brushes should probably be among the lesser of your worries.

3 Likes

Well, I finally found this topic.
I have a small (In-progress because I ran out of glue and paint) Tau army currently ready to play. I am getting a tyranid auxiliary with the “start collecting” set soon because I like how they look and tyrants are still good. I will make them Tauanids where the Tau have a mind-controlling device hooked up to the hive mind so that synapse creatures are under the control of the Tau. I will paint them in the same colors as the tau (vior’la/ hive fleet kraken) with the same paints and stuff to make them a cohesive force.
Between 40k, fantasy warhammer, scuba diving, and Bonkles, I have very expensive hobbies…

3 Likes

Reading the Yarrick novels, I’m only on the first one and I love it! Also Dawn of War was cool, so was Space Marine

2 Likes

I read the first commissar Cain book. I loved it. It’s called For the Emperor and is about Ciaphus Cain, the unhappy, often cowardly and self-preserving “hero” who believes he doesn’t deserve his fame and is just faking it. Somehow, he manages to be lodged in an imperial guard regiment of two combined regiments - one female, one male - and is forced not only to get them to integrate, but also to get them to work together as a team. This becomes even more important as this regiment is sent into a world with heavy Tau influence, and it only gets worse when the tau diplomat is murdered and Cain is forced to try and prevent conflict.
It’s really good.
Funny enough, while the first novel in the series is called “for the emperor”, the last one also involves the Tau and is called “for the greater good”, which is the tau mantra.

I’m a fan of the Tau empire.

1 Like

/s tau are pretty cool though

3 Likes

In case none of you noticed, Dawn Of War III was announced yesterday.

PC Gamer also released an article sharing a few details about the game.

There will be only three races on launch: the Orks, Eldar and Space Marinades. You will also play as all three in one campaign. These three picks are fine, in my opinion, as their play styles are very different from one another. I’d like to see some Tau and Chaos later on, and maybe some kinky Dark Eldar cruising around on a sled made of prostitutes and wine coolers as well as silly roaming Necron HQ action. But, for now, Orks Eldar and Space Marines are good.

Bases and big armies return, so the game will not look like the fisticuffs in Dawn Of War II. It’s not quite the Apocalypse-scale but we’re getting close with the Imperial Knights. I preferred the base building from the first game; the game just seems all the more exciting the more I read!

The cover system was the best thing Dawn Of War II had and I hoped they would’ve used it on the next game, but alas. They’re creating yet another cover system for this iteration; a simpler one granting cover only on circular barricades, it seems. I suppose I can’t critique this decision before I’ve seen how it feels in the game.

4 Likes

Wow no guardsmen? I officially hate it /s
saw this yesterday actual reaction “Oh my, you can play in space? and use titans? Buying this!”

2 Likes

No Warhounds yet, sorry.

just looked at a picture for the new Dawn of War game and thought Bionicle for some reason

or is it just me

3 Likes

Looks pretty beast. I might get it when they add tau and/or tyranids.

2 Likes

Yeah but we got warlord titans

3 Likes

http://spinecrawlerrush.tumblr.com/post/143883541835

3 Likes