Warhammer (Fantasy)

I found a Warhammer 40k topic, but nothing dedicated to the tabletop fantasy world which spawned all this madness. I’m quite new to Warhammer and am looking for good jumping-off points in the forms of novels and such. I would even get into the figures if they weren’t so expensive.

Empire is best faction.

6 Likes

The miniatures aren’t too bad, if you know where to look. Besides, the new ones and the ones from GW don’t come with the right bases for WHFB.

Check out ebay, and facebook buy swap and sell sites for better deals.

2 Likes

Yes! as @Doremarpool said you can get a decent starter army from local players and 3rd parties. Though I’d recommend if you wanna get into it, pick an army that you really like (For Example: I really Enjoy Chaos and Lizardmen!) because they are expensive if you wanna buy from GW itself (especially when you factor shipping) and you’ll probably be stuck with that army for a bit. Go to places like Lexicanum to read up on the Lore and each armies aspects etc before picking one you like. Then if you want pick up some novels (which are fairly inexpensive for the most part) or start purchasing your army. Remember, you can always start off small. You don’t have to go all out and get like 2,000+ points worth of units, sometime smaller games are better (especially for starters because they allow for quicker games so you have to time to replay it a few times to get the hang of all the rules).

1 Like

Lexicanum is pretty good, but nothing beats 1d4chan for an irreverent look at the source material :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ll have to check them out then.

1 Like

I’m a skaven man, but unfortunately I only got into it during the end times, when it was gonna blow up.

1 Like

I have heard only bad things about the End Times. What’s up with it?

Well, spoilers, but the world blows up.
Honestly, I read thanquol, and it was a thrill to see such massive, cataclysmic battles.
While I think GW could have handled it better than every character ever dying, I think it was pretty fun.

1 Like

The main issues people have aren’t with the end times itself, but with the replacement of a beloved and tactically challenging game with a simple version of 40k… but IN SPAAAA - wait a minute…

So Age of Sigmar hasn’t been well-received so far?

It started out very poorly-recieved, but when they re-added points values, people have actually become much more interested in it. I think it’s a fun, easy to play game, with great models, but some lacking lore. However, people seem to be warming up to it.

1 Like

I’ve glanced at the starter pack. Once I recovered from seeing the price, it seemed like a neat thing. The figures look nice to me, and lore will probably come soon.

1 Like

They’ve been releasing lore, and honestly, it’s starting to get into stride (namely with the sylvaneth).

1 Like

Eh, AOS isn’t all that bad, but compared with Fantasy (particularly the glory of 6th), it’s still pretty sad.

Yah I agree. End Times really is kind of fun in that it’s sort of like a smaller version of Apocalypse in 40k in that you get to use HUGE models and Hero/Villian type characters, I find it fun personally but yes it’s basically 40k Lite. I’d stick with standard games 1st. AOS isn’t bad so much as just disappointing in comparison to it’s predecessor.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Where have they been releasing lore for Age of Sigmar? Books from the black library?

Books from black library, including one free e-book snippet, and a few campaign books released on the main GW site.

Again you can also check Lexicanum for up to speed summaries.