What are the community's general opinions on the future of Bionicle? (poll)

This post consists of a variety of polls all centering around one theme: The future of Bionicle.

Do you want Bionicle to return?
  • Yes!
  • I would be happy if it did, but I can live without it.
  • I would like a one-off anniversary set, but I don’t need a full on revival.
  • No, I’m fine with letting it rest.

0 voters

Do you think Bionicle ever will return (as a fully fledged LEGO theme)?
  • Yes, Possibly very soon!
  • Maybe, but not within the foreseeable future.
  • I don’t think Bionicle will ever return.

0 voters

How would you feel about Bionicle returning in a story only form, entirely seperate from LEGO?
  • I’d be perfectly happy with that.
  • I’d prefer if there were sets, but I’d still check it out.
  • If there’s no sets, I’m not interested.

0 voters

How do you feel about Christian Faber’s Biovival/14B2020 project?
  • I’m hyped for it!
  • I’m not very hyped, but I’m interested to see how it turns out/what it ends up being.
  • I have no interest in it whatsoever.
  • I don’t know what that is.

0 voters

What is your opinion on Bionicle coming back as a minifigure focused system theme?
  • I don’t care what the sets are like, as long as the story is good.
  • I’d love to see it!
  • I’d prefer constraction, but I’d be willing to give system a shot.
  • If it’s not constraction, it’s not Bionicle.

0 voters

What is your opinion on Bionicle coming back as system built constraction figures with mixel joints?
  • I don’t care what the sets are like, as long as the story is good.
  • I’d love to see it!
  • I’d prefer if it were technic-based, but I’d be willing to give it a shot.
  • No, it has to be technic-based.

0 voters

Marketability aside, if Bionicle came back, would you want the story to be a reboot or continue where G1 or G2 left off?
  • G1 continuation
  • G2 continuation
  • Reboot

0 voters

That’ll be all for now.
Elaborate on your opinions in the comments if you wish.

15 Likes

I think we’d all love for bionicle to return but just like most cartoons nowadays the reboots mostly just ruin it like all the corporate meddling in G2. Again I wouldn’t mind seeing it replace ninjago if that theme ever ends but generally there’s just a lack of risk with new media stuff.

2 Likes

This was a surprisingly encompassing and insightful poll.

Wasn’t quite sure what to put for the last question, as I don’t think any of those are at all realistic options. But alack, it said what I would want the story to be.

5 Likes

honestly the best return is for the entire line to be kopaka

5 Likes

I don’t think mixel joint system figs would work well for bionicle. Traditional system or constraction would, though.

now where’s the poll about bringing Hero Factory back

6 Likes

I think the mixel joint style has a lot of potential but there’s definitely room for improvement at the moment.
the system needs more time to evolve and experiment with itself.

2 Likes

I’d argue that HF got even less closure than Bionicle did. Like, we never found out who created those brains from 2013, and the “villain factory” plot setup from the end of 2012 never got anywhere.

4 Likes

Would totally love for a G3 to happen, although at this point I have no idea if it’d be best for the line to double down on the pitch of “robots on a tropical island,” or go more adventurous with the settings/themes, such as rural tribal life vs mechanized city life, a space setting, or some third thing I can’t think of.

Alternatively, I think it would be interesting to see a company take on G1 Bionicle purely as a story theme, reboot it, and develop it out from there, akin to what IDW did with Transformers back in 2005.

1 Like

oh boy my answers are gonna be unpopular.

3 Likes

Actually, now that I’ve thought about this, I’ve got a question or two myself: if you want a continuation of G1 (whether you voted that way in this poll or not), how do you want the continuation to be done?

How Do You Like Your Continuation?
  • Hard Continuation (Pick up with TBTB Chp 5 + TYQ Chp 4)
  • Moderate Continuation (Do a retelling of the serials as they are now, and continue from there)
  • Soft Continuation (Wipe slate clean of the serials, pick up from ending of Journey’s End)
  • Other (Please elaborate)

0 voters

Additionally:

How Long Do You Want the Continuation to Last?
  • Only the reasonable length of the two unfinished serials
  • The reasonable length of the two serials, plus one more to wrap things up
  • A few extra serials/stories couldn’t hurt
  • As long as possible
  • Other (please elaborate)

0 voters

Genuinely curious to see what other people respond with. I’ve not done a deep dive into this topic personally, but I see it often enough that people want a continuation, but I’ve not seen much of anything about what they want that continuation to be. True, there are plenty of fan fics that continue from and wrap up the serials, but is that sentiment what most people want? I don’t know!

4 Likes

Honestly, I’d be more interested in a brand new Constraction theme that isn’t Bionicle rather than Bionicle back as a system theme. In my opinion, it being Constraction, while being a turn-off factor for average LEGO fans, is kind of the thing that made it so popular to begin with, because it tapped into a unique niche within the LEGO market.
Hero Factory still being popular despite not having the best story speaks volumes about that.

8 Likes

I think Bionicle has a potential to comeback very soon, though the future of Bionicle is very uncertain and before we can get a new successful Bionicle this community will need some reorganizing. cough* cough*

1 Like

I’d honestly want something more along the lines of Nick Anderson’s Nova Orbis, A distant future timeskip.

10 Likes

I’m voting mostly against Bionicle as a system or mixel-joint theme not due to any bias against the building style but mainly for affordability. It was part of why G1 was so successful. Your average Inika-sized canister set retailed for just £7, something you could just buy with your pocket money. And I think that was one of G2’s main problems. Yes, the builds were more complex than we’d ever seen for regular sets, but that came at the cost of being mostly unaffordable for the average consumer looking for something cheap to buy. Even the Protectors were £10 each! I fear that as a system theme it would be even less affordable.

1 Like

“Would you want the story to be a reboot or continue where G2 left off?”
*me, who wants G2’s G2:"
giphy

Technically it still would be a reboot, but by reboot I think you meant the reboot of Bionicle as a whole, so it could be anything from space pirates to underwater cowboys and what I want is more of the world that is shown in the artbook of G2, so my answer would be “Remake G2, cut the second half of JtO, and continue there”. This is why I lean toward the continuation of G2.

3 Likes

cough cough Black Destiny cough cough

Hey you’re not alone

3 Likes

if it’s a turn-off for average LEGO fans then it’s not happening as a LEGO product.

To be fair, I don’t remember the G2 sets being all too cheap.

1 Like

Well, every LEGO theme is aimed at a specific group of LEGO fans. There is no such thing as a LEGO theme that appeals to everyone. For instance, there is a decently large group of nostalgic AFOLs who really want LEGO to bring back Pirates as a LEGO theme, even though most people who didn’t grew up with the original Pirates theme probably wouldn’t care much about it. Bionicle falls into the same category.
Truth to be told, even if Bionicle were a normal system theme, I get the feeling average AFOLs still wouldn’t care about it.

2 Likes

@ anyone who said that non-constraction sets aren’t BIONICLE:

What’s your opinion of the Piraka Stronghold?

5 Likes

Well since the Piraka Stronghold is technically alive, it’s and it has some moving parts, it’s constraction.

Also look it’s some bonkle pieces

3 Likes