What are your favorite and least favorite genres of music?

We should swap bands sometime. I like doom metal as well, though I’m not sure what qualifies as Doom Metal.

My favorite Genre would probably be Post-metal. Post rock is cool to, but I find I like my “post” on the heavier side of things, so Post-metal, progressive rock/metal, various genres of rock except for like typical modern day hard rock, its so repetitive and all sounds the same, bleh. Alternative and indie rock to are good sometimes, Grunge, love me some grunge. Most of the stuff I like comes from the 90’s and carries into the 2000’s.

Least favorite Genres: Country, Rap, RnB, and I don’t care for most electronic music either, though I love it when used with actual instruments(like Nine Inch Nails :heart_eyes:) For me, its all about the instrumentation. If that sucks then it doesn’t matter if there’s vocals or what the lyrics about, if the music itself sucks then I just can’t get into it.

Favorite: “Classical” music, mainly from the Romantic period and the 20th century. Also prog rock, symphonic metal, big band/swing, and Celtic music.
Least Favorite: Rap, Dubstep, some kinds of Country (mostly what gets played on the radio), and that which I refer to as “Crap”–country mixed with rap.

1 Like

I like punk and classic rock, with some hard rock, some alternative, and some metal. I usually go more by band then by genre when it comes to what I like. For example, I like Creedence Clearwater Revival, most Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles, but not Pink Floyd.
I can’t stand most pop or rap. I generally don’t like country, but there are a few “classic” country songs or artists I enjoy.

YOU PEASANT!

4 Likes

Fite me m8

I don’t like progressive in general

I love progressive rock, though I haven’t listened to all that many bands of that genre. I also enjoy electronic rock and metal such as Celldweller and Amaranthe. I think those are my favourite genres at the moment.

I hardly find any enjoyable rap songs, or trap. I can’t fathom why people would play trap.

1 Like

Finally found another one

1 Like

Oh man. There’s a ton of musical genres that I like; I like most things that fit under the rock/metal, electronic, and classical/orchestral umbrellas. Most “popular” music from these days I don’t really like, and I do tend to like older stuff, but that’s perhaps because I’m not adventurous enough to go find new stuff. I can stand most older pop. But I can’t see myself liking many new rap/hip hop songs… (I adore the old stuff from the 70s-90s, though. Grandmaster Flash ftw)
R&B and jazz can be great if I’m in the mood. Come to think of it, basically it all comes down to the mood.
And I haven’t found that much country that I like. I used to think I didn’t really like it, but then I heard Johnny Cash. He’s pretty much my favorite country artist.
Actually… I just thought of a genre that I actually don’t like at all. Well, mostly. I can’t stand most K/J-pop for some reason.
Also video game soundtracks can be pretty amazing.

1 Like

I discovered Wish Upon a Blackstar the other day, and I loved it.

I like electronic stuff mostly, some dubstep can be good but most is just noise.

As far as specific bands go, Daft Punk is easily my favorite.

1 Like

Wish Upon a Blackstar is great. I love the diversity between each track and I’m a sucker for concept albums. The Lucky One has cringeworthy lyrics and I feel like Unshakeable could have been better if it weren’t drumstep, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Klayton is actually working on a Blackstar-novel with the writer of Bane of Yoto, Joshua Viola. The first two acts have been released along with scores for the acts. I’m going to get the book myself once it gets finished.

1 Like

I am really into different sorts of electronic music. It’s hard to tell what styles I prefer the most, because I like when different styles are mixed.
I also like rock and hip-hop a bit, but very selectively and when different styles are mixed also.
And I have pleasure of classical music.

I don’t like country, don’t like pop, summer music, any latin motives, don’t like overused dubstep samples, or any overused samples and twits, don’t like the EDM movement, classic rock, and Transformers-like or overly-epic soundtracks.

Hey

Wanna start the Celldweller topic so we can discuss it outside of here?

I don’t see why not.

My taste of music is an extreme variable. (my playlist on shuffle) “Pardon Me”-Incubus then “Revolver”-RATM then “Areodynamic”-Daft Punk

…and this is why I qualify as a “fence-hopper” according to idioms.

Least favorite is a genre I like to call “insincere love song played by douchy frat guy on acoustic guitar”

5 Likes

Look up the Axis of Awesome’s “How to Write a Love Song.”

Please.

1 Like

I don’t really hate any (except pop).
Here is my top:
1.Metal (mostly power,thrash, prog, death,so on)
2.Hard Rock
3.Rock and some subgenres of it
4.Dubstep
5.EDM
6.Rap

Pop isn’t making the list because is the worst musical abomination ever unleashed upon this world.And people say that metal is the music of Satan.Bah.

Rap.

I despise that stuff.

Umm, Pop, by definition, is just anything that gets popular.

Which means, by your standards, Nirvana is utter garbage. Way to overgeneralize. Unless of course I’m missing something.

2 Likes