What are your favorite LEGO villains

What are your favorite villains LEGO put out? There have been many Lego Themes with story, and many of them have antagonists. What are the best designed of the LEGO villains?

I personally will do this as a top ten. If we are counting honorable mentions, it is thirteen, for evil. (Wolf howling is heard).

• Honorable Mentions

13. Lord Business (LEGO movie)
President Business is CEO of Octan, a megacorporation that practically rules the world. His is also Lord Business, whose evil plan is to glue the world together in eternal stasis using Kragle, as he thinks creativity is too chaotic and world should be rebuilt into state of eternal order. Lord Business is actually allegory for an overly strict father, who considers his son’s LEGO builds too nonsensical and wants to glue them into their intended forms. Both Lord Business and the father are in end convinced their mindset is wrong.

11. Rex Dangervest (LEGO Movie 2)
Archeologist, cowboy, spaceman and all around Xtremely Kool Dude, who is in fact callous, unpleasant and overaly odious person who seeks to corrupt Emmet into himself to take revenge from being abandoned, creating a time loop in process.

12. Witch Doctor (Hero Factory)
Hero Factory relies on a mineral called Quaza to manifacture Hero Cores. Witch Doctor was once a scientist named Aldous Witch who worked for Hero Factory. He went rogue, and mined Quaza on planet Quatros, controlling local wildlife with Skull Staff, which corrupted him.

Witch Doctor held no regard for both animals he ruled and planet itself, which was gravely endangered by his mining. Like all of Hero Factory, it is possible that there is more to Witch Doctor, but as he is, he is still best Hero Factory villain for me. His design screams “I am an eeevil sorcerer!” in a very good way.

• The List Proper Begins Here

10. Portal Emperor (Atlantis)
I loved Portal Emperor when I was kid. He was so mysterious. I remember reading that his armor was fused to his body, and that made him even scarier.

9. Lord Vampyre (Monster Fighters)
Lord Vampyre is Dracula inspired character with his own twist. He is lord of all monsters, who wanted to gather moonstones for his beloved Vampire Bride as simple jewelry. Later, he discovered that they hold great power, and sought to create eternal night so he could walk the world of minifigures.

8. Antimatter (Ultra Agents)
A scientist who wanted to create device to remove evil from his city, he partly succeeded. But the evil did not vanish, instead concentrating in his person. He became Antimatter, dedicated to corrupting everything. Firefighters would become arsonists, environmentalists would become polluters, meteorologists would cause bad weather, and so on. He could be compared to early G1 Makuta and the Darkitect, who will both be higher on this list.

7. Hypaxxus-8
Commander Hypaxxus the Eight is the Supreme Overlord of a technologically advanced alien empire. Their technology is appropriately alien. Flying saucers and walking machines are common, all powered by brains of sentients, smarter, better.

Seeing that humans are relatively smart and defenseless, Hypaxxus embarked on an invasion of Earth. I just love the aliens in the Alien Conquest, and how ridiculously evil they are.

• The Real Stars of the List

6. Darkitect (LEGO UNIVERSE)
Source of most evil in the LEGO UNIVERSE, Darkitect is the dark lord of the Maelstrom who seeks to control and corrupt everything in his reach. He once was Baron Typhonus, one of four explorers who discovered the power of Creativity. While each of three created something small and beautiful, Baron Typhonus was too ambitious, and created a horrible spider that corrupted Imagination into Maelstrom, and himself into Darkitect.

Fittingly, Darkitect cannot be fought, but you can see him in several nightmare visions, looming source of all darkness in Nimbus System, a dark architect of corruption and evil.

5. Harumi (Ninjago)
A girl adopted by Imperial Family as a princess, Harumi secretly despises Ninja, blaming them for death of her own parents and idolizes Garmadon as a hero, wishing to revive him. She pretends to love Imperial Family, but hates them for her strict upbringing. Harumi has two faces, being extremely deceptive.

All flaws of Harumi stem from traumatic death of her parents and her adoption to role she did not choose. Otherwise, she would likely grow into a normal person. But Harumi could not withstand things life threw in her way, breaking under the pressure and becoming unhinged maniac. She is a great tragic villain.

4. Pharaoh Amset-Ra (Pharaoh’s Quest)
Amset-Ra was not content in his role as the King of the Two Lands, he wanted to obtain an universal kingship, to rule the Four Corners of World. But before he could succeed, his regalia were stolen. Sending his statues of living stone to find them, he was ambushed and buried in his tomb. Long after era of Kemet was buried, Amset-Ra awakens, seeking to regain his treasures and rule once again.

In addition to the very cool story, Amset-Ra also acts as main antagonist and final boss of excellent game Curse of Pharaoh.

3. Monstrox (Nexo Knights)
At first presumed a sentient grimoire, Monstrox is in fact an evil sorceror, trapped within his own spellbook by his nemesis, wise wizard Merlok. Monstrox manipulates a court jester to summon demons, eventually succeeding in freeing himself from the Book of Monstrox and becoming a storm cloud of evil. While the Cloud of Monstrox’s plan is seemingly foiled, he succeeds at taking over Knighton’s technology and turning many of its denizens into vampires, before being finally defeated for real.

2. Makuta (Late BIONICLE)
Makuta Teridax is such cunning and competent antagonist that he managed to steal godhood from the Great Spirit successfully, while tricking the heroes to do it for him. His evil plan was utterly brilliant in its execution.

1a. Nadakhan
A djinn who lost his homeland and wants to bring it back, Nadakhan orchestrates an elaborate plan to grant himself ability to grant wishes to himself to fulfill this goal, and succeeds through manipulating others. His motives, means, and design are all really cool.

Another tragic villain, like Harumi but in different way. He is not outright evil, just blinded by grief. He also parallels Makuta Teridax, manipulative schemer with a grand plan that manages to win, but his motivation is very different and in my opinion more interesting. And that is why he ranks the first place in my list along with early G1 Makuta.

1b.Makuta (early BIONICLE)
Whether as the jealous brother-god, as the origin of corruption and evil, as the Spirit of Destruction and embodiment of nothingness, as scheming sorcerer who overthrew the God and replaced him with himself, G1 Makuta is a great villain. I personally like the MNOLG portrayal as primordial deity of destruction best, both in its eldritch design, and especially the amazing lore. It shares the top spot with Nadakhan for that reason.

I find it incredible BIONICLE was LEGO’s first attempt to tell a proper story, and it already had an amazing villain in 2001.

Do you agree or disagree with my list? And more importantly, what are your favorite LEGO villains?

8 Likes

ayo wheres my boy Omega?

4 Likes

my favourite villain is laval from chima

I know he technically isn’t marketed as the villain but he definitely is

Most other Lego villains are evil in a “muahahaha I’m gonna rule the world/destroy the world/have my revenge/make you pay for my tragic backstory” kinda way, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but Laval is evil in a very different, very sinister way

He is the only character in all of Lego fiction to legitimately disgust and disturb me and it sometimes makes me very uncomfortable just watching the disconcerting and unsettling actions he takes

He’s racist, ableist, greedy, abusive, unpleasantly cruel, constantly gaslights his ‘friends’, takes advantage of them, mocks them behind their backs and has an insatiable lust for Chi

And he does all of this while speaking in the most grating, cheesy, obnoxious voice I’ve ever heard, like he’s totally aware of how downright demonic he’s being but is somehow taking pleasure in it and revelling in how much pain he’s causing

Laval is such a bizarre case because he doesn’t have any sort of objective to his hateful mania or any sort of ‘evil plan’, he’s just utterly horrible to every person unfortunate enough to meet him and somehow it’s passed off like he’s the hero

He’s not ambitious, he’s not looking for world domination, he’s not even particularly intelligent, he’s just a callous, depraved moron and he sickens me to my very core

8 Likes

Nadakhan and Teridax take the cake, I’ve honestly never seen a better written villain than Nadakhan and Teridax is just too cool to ignore.

5 Likes

Baron Von-flippin Baron.

6 Likes

Speaking of Laval being evil, I had started reading The True Legend of Chima but I can’t find the document, so do you think you could either PM it to me or send it here?

Anyways, my favorite villain doesn’t really conform to the standards of this list due to it not being one entity. What am I talking about? Well, it’s none other than the aliens from Galaxy Squad! For clarity’s sake, let’s just say that this counts as the Hive Crawler, because that’s the most leader-ish thing I could find. The color scheme for these guys is -forgive the pun- out of this world. The unique shaping and modes of transportation that they utilize is stellar and there is nothing like it.

4 Likes

alright

6 Likes

The Brickster
he is truly the most evil minifigure

to Eilrach

I am not that familiar with Ninjago as I am with BIONICLE, though I consider it to be very good story based theme. I never watched the show, only read lore on both on LEGO . com in its former state and later on wiki. (I also have several sets. I really like Ninjago sets as well as story, even though I am currently more of a constraction fan. (When I mean constraction, I include large posable System figures. The dinosaurs from Creator are amazing))

When you mentioned Omega, I did not know what you were talking about aside from being from Ninjago. I read about him now, and I agree, he, or Oni in general should be on the list.

Even before I researched Oni, I just liked Oni twist, and now I know more about them, they seem great. I like how they are similar but different to Overlord, not being source of evil, but embodiment of destruction. Oni tend to be really evil, not because they represent evil, but because they represent unlimited force of destruction, like Dragons represent pure force of creation, and if destruction is unlimited, it results in evil.

Speaking of Overlord:

Philosophy of Ninjago is really interesting and somewhat dark. As I see it, Balance between Good and Evil is necessary to maintain existence of forces of Good. If Evil won, that would be obviously bad. if good won, it would inevitably corrupted into evil by having no point of comparison. That is why the Overlord was originally created as part of Balance, to stop a greater evil from rising.

to Mr. Monopoly

I think this was because of bad writing of the Show. I like concept of Chima, but from what I heard, the show is considered worse than 2015 BIONICLE animations, in that it utterly ruins the theme if it is included as part of it.

If it was up to me, neither alliance overal would be evil. First you see things from point of lions, then from point of crocodiles, and third part would result in both solving their differences, and negotiating peace.

to TheMOCingbird

Baron von Baron was the original lego villain for certain. I am just rather unfamiliar with Adventurers.

to Cordax

Galaxy Squad is a great example of a more serious alien invasion by LEGO.

5 Likes

Galaxy squad is also the beginning of Ultra Agents, (See link here).

1 Like

Gotta give some love to Ogel and Vladek here

4 Likes

not disagreeing but please elaborate

It’s felt like eons since I’ve watched Chima or thought about the plot at all.

oh absolutely. The way he said “Cragger” used to drive me off the wall

3 Likes

he’s the villain from clutch powers btw

3 Likes

Since Clutch Powers and Omega are character names that both appear in the movie as well as Ninjago this is will never not be confusing.

3 Likes

They’re one and the same… probably. I mean, Clutch Powers is a canon Ninjago character in the sets, so it’s likely the same person.

wasn’t he in an episode too?

1 Like

impossible

Clutch powers in his movie is both aware of Lego as a company and aware of the fact he is made of Lego

In fact, he actually works for Lego

The fact that the characters in Ninjago are Lego has never ever been a plot point at all, not to mention that absolutely none of the buildings or vehicles are made out of bricks

2 Likes

It’s kinda a Toa G1/G2 situation. Somewhat similar but only on a very surface level.

2 Likes

He also travels to other dimensions, an important plot point within both the movie and Ninjago. That’s what his job is, in fact. He keeps LEGO’s IPs from leaking into each other, causing mayhem as villains employ weapons and powers where they shouldn’t and don’t exist.

Not different dimensions, just different planets

1 Like