What books are you currently reading?

I’m currently reading the art of war.

Bada bing Bada boom I resurrect this topic from its doom
5 Likes

like actually or is it for the meme.

It’s too late, knave! Your betters have preceded your petty attempts.

1 Like

Actually. I found it in a bargain store and decided to snatch it up.

2 Likes

read brave new world for school and wow! an actually good dystopic novel!

3 Likes

I read Fahrenheit 451 for the first time two or three years ago. Great book; it’s probably my favorite dystopian book because of how plausible it seems, and Bradbury’s beautiful writing of course. Gonna try to read Dune before the movie comes out.

Don’t pressure yourself into reading it if you don’t want to! Brandon Sanderson has his place, but he’s definitely not mandatory reading. XD

Heh, I read and enjoyed The Hunger Games recently, but there are definitely way too many copycats these days. I want to give BNW a shot at some point, but I read the Cliff’s Notes in middle school and almost threw up because of how disgusting a certain aspect of the society is.

Currently, I’m reading Heinrich von Ofterdingen by Novalis. It’s a German Romantic fairy tale/novel/poetry hybrid that influenced the development of the fantasy genre with its mystical philosophy. I find it pretty enthralling, though to enjoy it you have to accept that it’s as much a vehicle for a bunch of stories-within-the-story as anything.

3 Likes

Fair warning the plot and writing are somewhat rambling, but the worldbuilding is astounding.

2 Likes

The Chronicles of Prydain thanks to @John_Smith

2 Likes

I found those to be really Lord of the Rings ripoff-y.

So… does anyone else have a tendency to buy books and then not bother to read them until way later?

I have the Elder Scrolls novels, the first Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones books, the Lord of the Rings, Dracula, Thrawn: Treason, and several Discworld audiobooks – all bought countless months, some even years, ago – most of which I have yet to read.

Granted, since I had time over the holidays, I’ve read the first elder scrolls book and am on the second one. And I have read some of Tolkien’s work… it’s just that I could never finish the series. I remember Tolkien’s prose was… dull, boring, and went on for way too long. Then again, I was a teenager when I tried to read them, so that may I just didn’t have the right mindset back then.

Just a warning, it’s one of those stories that throws you into the world, and you’re left to either sink or swim in the worldbuilding. When I first read listened to it the audiobook, I had no idea what was happening, but managed to figure out the lore as the chapters went on.

4 Likes

Huh, I didn’t really encounter that problem. Like I didn’t understand all the world-specific terms, but it was explained in time, and I was able to use the Almanak en Ashraf in the back after I read the book to clear up terms I didn’t get.

1 Like

They’re really not. They are unique enough to be very compelling with the story on it’s own.

2 Likes

Maybe. Admittedly it’s been a few years since I read them, I’ll check them out next time I’m at my library and give them a reread.

1 Like

I’m reading them RN and I find The Book of Three to be incredibly original, down to some of the humorous dialogue, the status of the characters and world, and just the cast itself.

3 Likes

Prydain definitely takes inspiration from LotR, but overall it’s quite different–much more focused on themes of growing up and existentialism. It’s nothing like Sword of Shannara or The Iron Tower Trilogy where it’s basically the same story as LotR but everything has a different name. XD

I have hundreds of unread books lol

Definitely give it another shot if you think you’re ready for it. Tolkien’s style can feel slow to modern readers, but he was also a master of the English language and crafted very beautiful sentences, the likes of which are not to be found in novels of these latter days. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m currently reading The Return of the King, C.S. Lewis’s Poems, and T.S. Eliot’s Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats. I want to finish reading Arabs by Tim Mackintosh-Smith, but it’s a bit of a dry beast.

I quite enjoyed the first three books in the Prydain Cycle, so I suspect you’ll enjoy 'em too. Books four and five were more of mixed bags for me, though.

2 Likes

Heh, books 4 and 5 are my favorite Prydain books. Taran’s journey in book 4 particularly speaks to me more deeply than I know how to put into words, pretentious as that may sound. Book 3 is the only one I’m not quite as crazy about.

3 Likes

Welp just finished Wolf by Wolf. Pretty fantastic for a YA novel, I’d definitely recommend it if you haven’t read it already.

Onto the sequel!

1 Like

Ha, and book 3 is my favorite! I could definitely see how book 4 speaks to you, though.

1 Like

Probably I should read my art history book

begone, productivity!

3 Likes