What books are you currently reading?

I 100% agree with this.

2 Likes

I still don’t get the hype around Tom, to be honest

3 Likes

You’ll understand when you are older.

4 Likes

Currently reading ‘A Wizard of Earthsea’ by Ursula K. Le Guin. I’m two chapters in and quite liking it. I got the Books of Earthsea collection on the recommendation of one Jogn Smat, so I hope to read 'em all soon.

4 Likes

I think you’ll end up loving it if you already like it. The real inciting incident doesn’t happen for another chapter or two.

2 Likes

Bit of guilty pleasure, but things have been a little stressful recently…

10 Likes

Ah, I loved those stories. That looks like the same book I read them from too.

1 Like

The Silmarillion.

@John_Smith brought to me such a strange fate.

4 Likes

This is your first step into a larger world.

2 Likes

So I finished reading the Hobbit for the first time ever last week. It was a little hard for me to get into the writing style at first, but after giving it some time, I have no regrets whatsoever. I honestly wonder why it took me so long to read this book. It’s such a simple story that is fun but very engaging and meaningful at the same time. Maybe the arc appeals to me more now, but Bilbo’s main character arc resonated with me a lot. This is also a huge weak point of the movies but I’ll leave that out since this topic is about books :sweat_smile:. Also I loved the songs, I didn’t expect to think much of them but they are the best.

Also I’m now well into Fellowship of the Ring, and will read the other books as well. Than watch those movies too. Tolkein’s descriptions are even more detailed here than in the Hobbit, but I’m starting to appreciate it much more now, they really set the mood and put you into Middle Earth. I like how there was several little details from the Hobbit that are now taking a more important role.

2 Likes

If you liked the Hobbit, then I highly recommend watching the 1977 animated Hobbit movie; it’s short and simple, but quite charming, and really nails the songs and overall whimsical tone imo.

3 Likes

I am currently reading The Invisible Man

4 Likes

Now there’s a heavy one.

1 Like

Watch the 1933 film once you are done and compare the two.

1 Like

I think he’s referring to The Invisible Man, not Invisible Man.

1 Like

Its the one by H.G Wells

4 Likes

Apologies, my mistake. The one by Ralph Ellison is what I thought you meant.

1 Like

I just started reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

2 Likes

The books I’ve read in recent months that I enjoyed are DUNE and Fahrenheit 451. I’ve just started reading Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin (sci-fi streak I know).

Also just checked out Rhythm of War, the newest Brandon Sanderson book from my library. Not exactly looking forward to reading that but I feel like I have to just to satisfy myself a year ago.

Kinda hoping we can resurrect @N01InParticular this topic and generate some interesting discussion about literature.

1 Like

I’m currently reading Horus Rising. It’s good.

3 Likes