What defines a Toa?

In the Matoran Language, the word “Toa” means “Hero”.
What defines a Toa? A knight for justice who abides by a Moral Code? Some seven foot tall Bio Mechanical being with a dandy mask and powers?
Are Matoran symbolic of us, and Toa representations of what we want to be?
Am I looking to deep into the story line of a Toy series that ended five years ago?

8 Likes

I guess you could say,
Do you know
What it takes to be a hero?
But I digress. :stuck_out_tongue: Looking at Bionicle from the perspective of the Hero’s Journey, I would say Matoran are like people who haven’t yet had the Call To Adventure, Toa are people who have had it (though they can also refuse the call), and obviously Turaga are elders who’ve completed their journey. So I would say Toa could be looked at as being symbolic of adults/young adults struggling to succeed in life. But that’s probably reading WAY too much into it.

8 Likes

Duh

5 Likes

Toa, in my opinion, has two meanings. One is the variation of the species, and the other is the word for Hero. For example, the Shadowy Takanuva from Reign of Shadow count as Toa, but they are not Toa.

It is surely something to think about, but I feel like Toa who aren’t heroes are little more than Tall Matoran.

3 Likes

Ima quote Jaller/Balta here.

You don’t have to be a Toa to be a Hero.

As for the Toa species, It’s pretty self explanatory.

3 Likes

“it’s what you do that makes you a hero”

3 Likes

I think that species wise it is pretty obvious.

But there are certain rules that define a Toa from other beings such as the Makuta or Dark Hunters. Breaking these rules would most likely result in no longer “being” a Toa. One such example would be Nidhiki being rejected after betraying the Toa.

I feel as though the Toa Code would act as a Knight’s Templar, and as such, it governs the Toa’s actions. I think that being a Toa is like being a knight, all of the species (Or for a knight’s case, a noble) can be a Toa (knight) but they must adhere to the code.

4 Likes

Q: A knight for justice who abides by a Moral Code? A: Yes.
Q: Some seven foot tall Bio Mechanical being with a dandy mask and powers? A: Definitely.
Q: Are Matoran symbolic of us, and Toa representations of what we want to be? A: Perhaps… * thinks harder *
Q: Am I looking too deep into the story line of a Toy series that ended five years ago? A: Most certainly.

6 Likes