What do people have against TTV?

Huh???

2 Likes

you are they

2 Likes

Basically these.

Probably mostly grudges, though.

10 Likes

I think that “voice from above” comment is very accurate, but that doesn’t really bother me. I prefer it usually (except when its done in a mightier than thee way)
I think another thing that bothers a lot of people is that whenever there is something that is open to interpretation or is subjective at best they act as if their interpretation is the only correct one.

4 Likes

Joke answer: they’re all terrible people who kick puppies and steal candy from babies

Serious Answer

Before I start, I want to make something clear: I do enjoy TTV, and I respect them all as people. I have enjoyed the canon contests, even if I don’t agree with every decision. I also like to think that I’m able to see other people’s point of view, and explain why they might feel the way they do. None of this is what I think, but how I think they come across to some people in the community.

I think a lot of the recent negativity towards TTV comes from two factors: the canon contests, and in particular Eljay (Meso to a lesser extent).

Let’s work backward here, from the current issues to the deeper root of the problems. Imagine, if you will, that a person you don’t like gets unilateral authority over something you do like. This is how a lot of people see TTV with the Canon Contests. Most of this community is Bionicle fans, so if you don’t like TTV, it’s easy to be upset with them altering Bionicle canon. Yes, Greg has the final say on the winners, of course, but it is TTV making the decisions; Greg just gives his approval.

Now, if you already don’t like TTV, it’s easy to view any decision that they make that you don’t like negatively, and very easy to paint it that way to others. For example, from the Hagah contest: requiring the Metru Torso, requiring Metallic armor to match Norik and Iruini, banning immoral masks, all restrict creativity and paint the Canon Contests as “TTV’s version of canon” rather than “the Community agreeing on Canon”.

Let me be clear: I think there are valid reasons for all these rules. But when you see something you love being managed by someone you take issue with, it’s easy to see it as them asserting their will to get what they want and nothing else.

Now, let’s couple this with their general attitude. They often come across in debates like “Our side is wrong and any disagreement is silly”. I don’t think this comes from a place of malice, just a human flaw of some members, in particular Eljay (who, I bring up mainly due to him being the head guy of the canon contests, alongside Meso). Often, on podcasts, they have a tendency to seem like they just dismiss any ideas that they don’t agree with/don’t understand. I’m not saying that they feel that way, I’m saying that’s how they come across.

This isn’t necesarily new to the contests, either. I’ve seen this same complaint levied as early as Brickonicle. Some people saide that it seemed like they were declaring their G3 as “the definitive G3”, like it was something official in the community. At the time, I was super invested in their G3, so I didn’t mind how they viewed it, but I can see how it seems a little degrading to act like their project is “better” or “more official”. A lot of this might have come from K*hi, seeing at Brickonicle was his whole idea. I don’t think Meso or Eljay (or any of the others) ever viewed it as “official” or “better”. Just that it was “theirs” and it was “big” due to multiple people being involved. I think it’s a silly thing to have gotten upset with TTV over, but I can see why some people got turned away from them.

To be clear again: I’m talking about how they’re perceived, and how people can view them in a negative light. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with how Meso or Eljay or any of the others behave, or talk, or post.

Eljay, and to a lesser extent, other people in TTV, also have a tendency to completely shut down people who they can’t reconcile with. There’s been a few times where they’ve said of some person “this person just refuses to be reasonable, and just irrationally hate us”. It isn’t wrong of them to say that, but if you are that person, or someone who agrees with them, it comes across as very unreasonable.

So basically:
Could Eljay be more understanding and less dismissive of those who disagree with him/take issue with him? Yes
Would it make some people view TTV more favorably? Possibly
Is he obligated to? No, not at all. Some people just are unresonable.

So, to recap: from the point of view of some people, a thing they love is being arbitrarily and unilaterally controlled and altered by an unreasonable group who shut down anyone who disagrees with them. Basically, to any Bionicle fans who don’t like TTV, the Canon Contests are about the worst thing that could possibly happen. I think that’s why there is such a vocal group, even if they are a minority, that want to see the contests stopped, want a vote to stop them.

Anyway, this has been my psychoanalysis of the community perception of some guys who run a podcast and some contests. Again, just so it’s clear: I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them as people. TTV is a group that I admire and respect.

16 Likes

this is true
this is so very true

3 Likes

gee I wonder what side you take

TTV does get into a lot of scenarios where there really are only two viable options - do or don’t - so that probably doesn’t help their stigma in that regard. Heck, even with the canon contest there’s been a handful of situations and arguments in which it’s TTV versus the crowd - both sides equally demanding and the isolated onlookers often equating the actions of one or two people to represent the whole.

3 Likes

Honestly other the boards I just don’t care about whatever Ttv themselves are doing. No real negativity I just could really care less about the non board stuff.

1 Like

I just got an ad for NFT’s while on the boards, so I’m blaming TTV.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of correct.

Another thing is the channel’s angle, and G3. The channel keeps moving away from bionicle, to branch out into general AFOL territory, yet at the same time still tries to stand as a central pillar of the community.
That just sort of doesn’t work for a lot of people, and comes across very poorly.

Additionally, people have a lot of drama with the various members, those who left and those who are still around. It’s kind of a big deal to those who care about it, me included.

Finally, the canon contests. The canon contests have been a mess, and angered a lot of people. With that, people have started to dig up their past issues with TTV, and passing dislike became active hatred.
You can’t just ignore it, because it’s official :tm: and going up on the most important wiki/resource. Even if you don’t care, or support the contests, they are in fact happening and there’s nothing you can do about it.

also, yeah, this guy gets it. Just cut out a good chunk of that “i personally, subjectively” and “it’s just an opinion and isn’t justified” stuff and you’re left with something similar to the answer you’d get if you just asked someone who dislikes TTV

6 Likes

I don’t see why a topic with constructive criticism would get closed.
I also know a lot of users have been banned, and they may feel this was unjust.

2 Likes

I was only saying such depending on whether further comments might get rude.

But they haven’t. They’ve stayed smart objective comments providing constructive criticism for the most part.

4 Likes

Eljay is an IDIOT and he YELLED at me for being TOO FUNNY and I GOT banned from LIFE ugh he’s SO horrible I can’t EVEN :weary: :exx:

also we really need the Eljay emoji back I miss it

8 Likes

Nice reference.

3 Likes