What if Marendar could turn Toa into Turaga?

Of all the Kanohi I could have picked, I picked the one Elemental Kanohi that we know of. Marendar actually might be able to resist the powers of a Garai.

I was just about to press reply to point this out but you were faster :wink:

Matatu

It is listed as a elemental mask therofe Marendar would be immune.

I think Marendar could negate kanohi Kakama with his computer brain. predict where toa is going and finish them.

Wait, computer brain? Marendar is biomechanical.

Telekinesis is a power of Toa of Psionics, but that doesn’t make it an Elemental Kanohi. An Elemental Kanohi of Psionics would also grant the user the ability to read and control minds.

Yes he should be able to take on a Makuta 1 on 1, but probably not multiple Makuta at once.
What I always wondered is, why was Marendar designed to purge Toa specifically? Why not all protodermic life forms?
Are there multiple Marendars for different species?

The golden armor was meant for Makuta and Marendar for Toa. :wink:

I assume there is away to defeate Artakha as well. At least velika seems to have a way :wink: kaboom kind of way.

1 Like

Ah yes, the perfect plan. Put your safety in the hands of the Protodermic life forms to eliminate the Antidermic life forms and gain their powers, then use Marendar to eliminate the newly-powered-up Protodermic life forms.

I laugh at this for being a terrible plan, but I wouldn’t put it past the Great Beings.

1 Like

Yes, I thought about the Golden Armor being a Makuta solution. Of course GBs did not foresee (or did they?) Makuta turning into energy virus forms.

But what of the other powerful species? Or were elemental powers the main criterion for “dangerous” on Spherus Magna?

Marendar is biomechanical.

Yeah but he could carry a computer within his helmet etc.

biomechanical

Aren’t inhabitants of matoran universe nanotech? Original Toa’s organic parts detoriated while they slept. They grew back after they build themselves back. It seems their brain was not organic.

1 Like

Yes, from Greg’s numerous replies over the years, their brains were most likely not organic (at least for the most part). I was asking because the way you put it gave impression of Marendar being like a Vahki.
I see what you meant now.

1 Like

The nature of the brains of Matoran Universe inhabitants was never specified, although Eliminator was able to fry them with electricity. Whatever it is, I assume that Marendar’s would be the same.

Greg has been asked to specify this many times, and he always refused to do so.

All we know is that they have some kind of AI. We can take that to mean whatever we want.

I laugh at this for being a terrible plan, but I wouldn’t put it past the Great Beings

These are the same beings afterall who saw a Skopio and thought. “well would you look at that… let’s give it tracks and canons!”

@ToaKebaka Great beings thought that everyone in the matoran universe were meant to shut down after planet was whole again. Due to Velikas influence Matoran became sentient.

Toa Mata and Makuta were self aware I guess from the get go so they prepared for them?

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

No, no, I think you misunderstand. They were meant to shut down, yes. Marendar was a failsafe in case that didn’t happen.
It was designed to stop all the Toa, not just Mata.

And while Toa Mata were fully sapient from the start, they would have shut down as well.
Makuta were probably made self-aware by Velika along with the rest of the MU inhabitants, seeing as they were not created directly by GBs, but by Mata Nui after the fact.

1 Like

You’re both wrong.

Marendar was built after everyone became sentient. Before that, they were just robots who would be turned off.

He was made in case the Toa turned against the agori.

I am afraid you are incorrect.
Marendar was created before.
Velika participated on his creation.
He was also the one who gave MU inhabitants their full sapience. By that time, he was already in hiding as a Matoran, making it hard for him to be also present to design Marendar after the fact.

1 Like

Okay, so:

The Yesterday Quest gives the Awakening as a cause of Marendar’s creation.

And Greg says Velika “may have” had a part.

I’m inclined to believe Greg mixed up the order of events somewhat.

Not really.

The Great Beings, who may or may not have included Velika, created Marendar in case the Toa started attacking the Spherus Magnans when they returned. It had nothing to do with their sapience.

Even before The Awakening, Matoran Universe inhabitants had advanced AIs.
Velika just took them one step further.

It was because of their rise to sapience.
That’s exactly the story given in TYQ: matoran (and everyone else)become sapient, great beings panic and create Marendar.

That’s not what I got from that.

The Great Beings were concerned about the Toa going rogue even before their sapience.

Remember, when Angonce sees the Toa fighting in the Battle of Bara Magna, he is surprised by their newfound sapience:

“Things had not gone quite as planned. There had evidently been glitches in the AI of Mata Nui, Makuta, and the Great Beings’ other creations. Instead of a simple repairing of the planet, there had been a robot war and the bizarre sight of nanotech creations nobly sacrificing themselves in battle and, in many cases, dying to save others. That was not the behavior of bio-mechanical servitors. That was an actual, new species fighting and dying for its freedom.”

Until he saw that, he expected them to still be order-following robots, albiet with a bit of personality.

And Marendar was built long before that battle.

Actually, rereading the scene again, you might be right.

I always interpreted it as the gb’s noticing the rise to sapience during mata Nui’s mission, but your version makes more sense.

Then can Matoran still become Toa and Toa still become Turaga?

Lol :laughing:

Seriously, though, maybe the stuff they took out was a combination of both in the form of human,- er, sapient sacrifice?

I’d say yes since There are still Toa who could create Toa stones.

Greg said during the same interview that he managed to do more with the side stories than with the main story.

2 Likes