What is the best plot twist in Bionicle?

That was quite shocking, actually!

Makuta wins.

I AM THE UNIVERSE!

2 Likes

Either the ending of the 2008 storyline when we saw the true form of Mata Nui and Makuta taking over his body, or the discovery that the Red Star was some kind of resurrection station. It’s hard to pick one with all the loose ends that have been tired up during the last three years of BIONICLE and all the information that GregF has reveled on the LEGO Message Boards.

Red Star zombie maker.

1 Like

I would say that the biggest plot twist in Bionicle was Makuta Teridax taking over the Mata Nui robot after the events of Karda Nui.

3 Likes

For me, it was the fact that all Bohrok were Av-Matoran.

It wasn’t the robot, somehow, I just knew. When building the sets, before the colored armor parts would clip over the torso I would look at the half-complete figure and think “mata nui”.

2 Likes

I think the biggest twist was that the Makuta won. How often does that happen in any story? He didn’t almost succeed. He actually did.

And keep in mind that this happened immediately after Mata Nui’s big reveal, the twist that BIONICLE was based on. Right after your mind was blown by that, the makuta announces himself appears in the sky, blowing whatever was left of it.

It was a huge twist on top of an even huger twist. M. Night Shymalan would be jealous.

9 Likes

it was nice to know zaktan is alive, well sort of

Evil? Wasn’t Velika responsible for the Matoran having sentience in the first place? Without them they’d essentially Hero Factory, with their personalities coming from little glowing stones.

1 Like

They just wouldn’t have a personality at all if not for Velika. The MUI were designed without a personality in mind, they were intended to be little drones inside the GSR.

2 Likes

I know. Also, what if… gasp the little quaza core thingies in Hero Factory were made by Velika? WHAT IF THEY WERE ORE MINED FROM “THE MOUNTAIN” IN XIA?! ARE ALL OF THE ‘HEROES’ IN HERO FACTORY ACTUALLY EVIL SENTIENT MOUNTAINS?!?!

6 Likes

it all makes sense now :open_mouth:

I’m not sure if this was a plot twist, but when Zaktan was raiding a fortress and found notes from Teridax detailing most of the plan. Zaktan sunk to his knees as he realized there was nothing that could happen to stop Terry

6 Likes

For me, it’s a three-way tie between the Turaga revealing that they were the Toa Metru, Makuta taking over the Matoran Universe Robot, and the revelation of the true purpose of the Bohrok.

3 Likes

let’s hope bionicle 2015 has good plot twists

4 Likes

Except, they technically sort of were (after Helryx) if I understand my lore correctly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, it’s a tough tie between the revelation of the Turaga being the Toa Metru (which I actually didn’t figure out until well into 2004) and the one-two punch of 2008’s ending. I don’t really count Velika and the Red Star Zombie maker as I found both out through people discussing it before I actually bothered to read the serials, and the latter is frankly stupid anyway, imo.

No, probably the one that hasn’t been mentioned that really surprised me was the reveal of the Toa Mata’s past and that they’d been to Karda Nui before. “Closer To The Truth” was so freaking accurate as a theme for that year that I don’t even know where to begin.

5 Likes

Well of course, I just meant…at the time…finding out as a young one…you know? Because…please don’t hurt me. I know my lore, I swear!

1 Like

Not sure about the best one, but the worst was definitely the reveal that everyone in the MU was just created to maintain the systems in a robot.

1 Like

No worries, I was just pestering you. XD

I thought so too, at first, but then I read about Christian Faber’s concept of the MU robot and the significance of the canisters, and my opinion on that has drastically improved as a result. Red Star Zombie Maker was still terrible, though.

5 Likes

I called the red star this around my Bionicle friends and they started dying of laughter, they found it really funny and they now call it by that name

2 Likes