What is the extent of a Toa of Ice's Elemental power?

Seeing as my Self-Moc is a Toa of Ice, I’d like to know where the line is drawn on what a Toa of Ice CAN and CAN’T do. Are their powers dependent purely on the solid state of Water or can they freeze other substances? Also, is it within reason to say that a Toa of Ice can also manipulate the heat energy in an object as well?

2 Likes

My guess is it is restricted to water, so there has to be moisture in the environment for ice powers to work, similar to Frozono in the Incredibles, but they can also manipulate already existing ice.

I like to think that Toa of Ice have the power of freezing anything but, unlike Toa of Fire that can freeze by absorbing heat, a Toa of Ice can’t burn stuff due to simple thermodynamics. Temperature is basically particle vibration, so though it’s possible to absorb the energy from the movement and slow the vibration, there’s no way to absorb stillness.

2 Likes

I suppose I should follow-up with was there ever an instance where a Toa of Ice actually froze something other than water? My reasoning, as an engineer, is that if they have the ability to freeze something; then they have the ability to manipulate heat transfer, albeit in one direction. This means they can absorb or maybe even direct heat energy into themselves or create a low temperature point in the area that heat will be drawn to.

1 Like

Kopaka nuva was able to freeze toa tahu nuva s fire in the comics

1 Like

They can freeze other things indirectly, by dropping the temperature of water particles in the environment, like an inverse microwave.

3 Likes

I would have to say that they are limited to manipulating water. Which is still extremely strong since water is everywhere even in the air.
However it could be that they are able to manipulate other materials as well but just aren’t aware of it or don’t have the amount of skill required to freeze more complex materials.

In the end though everything can freeze if it gets cold enough.

What I would like to see is a Toa lower the temperature of something to absolute zero. Since the state of matter changes at that temp. That would be interesting.

3 Likes

I think a Toa of Ice with the Nui Stone could approach near absolute zero temperatures.

2 Likes

So I’ve got a related question to add. Aside from the Greg Quotes, is their any other source of lore that is trusted as Canon?

Any published material, unless it has been specifically retconned or been deemed non-canon.

This includes the novels, comics, guides, movies, and some video games.

1 Like

A Toa of Ice’s powers are more to do with cold than actual frozen water. Controlling ice and snow is part of their power set, but the primary aspect of the elemental power of Ice is lowering temperature, just like a Toa of Fire’s powers are more about heat than flames specifically.

Also, according to the Ice page on BS01, Toa of Ice can control frozen Protodermis, much like Toa of Water can control and create liquid Protodermis in addition to actual H2O. Combine that with the multiple instances of Ice-users freezing open flames, which are not composed of H2O or Protodermis of any kind, and it stands to reason that an Ice Toa could likely freeze any material they pleased, so long as they had the energy for it. Whether or not they could control the frozen, non-water substance, though, is anyone’s guess. Like yeah, Kopaka could freeze a cloud of chlorine gas into a frozen mass, but could he then control that mass as he would snow or frozen water? Can’t say.

3 Likes

The whole freezing flames thing is a bit of an odd one to begin with though.
How can you freeze fire? You can’t but you can freeze it’s girl source, so most likely it is the air around the flame that is being frozen, not the fire its self. It also begs the question of if the “water” on this world is even water to begin with or possibly some other liquid element, that would explain their abilities a bit better in my opinion

I’m pretty sure that Toa of Ice can make an area warm by “absorbing the cold”

1 Like

Okay, I know this is a fantasy world but that would require them to produce heat. Cold doesent actually exist it’s just the absense of heat, which is why there is no upper limit to how hot something can get but there is a limit to how cold it can get.
Once all energy has been lost then something can’t get colder.
So would that mean that they have some control over energy too?
Lol I know I’m getting a bit real here but thermodynamics are pretty awesome.

2 Likes

I know how you feel. I’m in the HVAC Department and this hurts me on an ontological level. I saw a quote on a Non-BS01 website that said they “can control cold energy” and a cringed very hard.

2 Likes

Then again I guess we have to keep in mind that we are talking about magical space cyborgs living inside a giant robot that would be impossible to create in reality lol so it’s not like it’s the only thing that makes no sense.

1 Like

Guess it’s still a fuzzy topic, but I appreciate the enthusiasm! Guess Ol’ Barafu is gonna have to improvise. Can anybody say Refrigerant Grenades!?

Sounds fun :grin:

According to BIONICLEsector01, they can control “solid ice-like Protodermis” and frozen water, since they have similar compositions.

There’s been some debate about this on BS01 over the years, but this quote would seem to confirm that.

You could say the same thing about Light and Shadow, but they are regarded as separate elements.

2 Likes

My best guess for the freezing fire thing is that they, technically speaking, are freezing the the superheated gas the flame is composed of. Fire isn’t really a substance, it’s an exothermic reaction that, in part, produces flames. Flames aren’t sources of heat themselves, they’re just air that’s gotten so hot it’s started to glow. So if you were able to flash freeze that air with such precision that you only froze the glowing area, which a Toa of Ice could feasibly do I guess, then technically, yeah, I guess they could freeze a flame, but the fire would immediately go out in the process, so really it would be more like extinguishing the flames by covering them with a flame-shaped ice sculpture.

5 Likes

didn’t matoro turn the master of shadows into a popsicle? granted this only worked because they were both underwater but still

1 Like