What is your favorite Bionicle set?

Hydraxon always seems to be underrated not only as a set but as a character.

1 Like

my favorite would probably be Lehrahkā€¦ I also love Iruini and the stars Tahu, as well.

Hau can you?

3 Likes

:unamused:

is that the best you can do?
lol, thoā€¦ I probably should have made that joke a looooong time agoā€¦ Nice one!

Just to preface this: This is going to be a mix of my personal views and feelings and my own analysis of the set. Expect a mix of objectivity and subjectivity.

I feel Ketar is one of the best sets design wise. He is the creature of stone and his color scheme reflects this. The various browns can be seen as sandstone, the lime greens can be compared to sulfur or similar elements, and the grey and silver can be seen as rocks and grey metals. Is his color scheme a little complex? Yes, but stone and earth is also pretty complex (stone comes from earth, so yeah). But I will be fair and say this will be a bit hit or miss for some people.

You could also make the argument that it would be easy for ketar to camofalgue himself given his color scheme in a stone ridden area.

I feel Ketarā€™s theme was also a very good pick. Ketar is based off a scorpion and scorpions typically live in arid/desert/hot climates. The stone element is usually shone to be at home in the desert. So it would make sense that he would be based on a scorpion. And the scorpion theme is spot on even if he is missing half of his legs. This is barring his head for obvious reasons.

But the build has a lot to be desired. Note that I distinguish between build and design. A set can have a good design, but also have a poor build. I feel Toa Norik has a great design, but a poor build giving him limited articulation. And of course a set can have a good build, but poor design. My example would be all of the bohrok sets. They have a good build, but they are a bit simplistic and also clone sets. Not saying these sets are bad, Iā€™m just saying.

Anyways: Ketarā€™s build is questionable. The tail could easily be given more articulation and so could the legs. The legs could also be a little longer. The way his crystal swords work I find a bit janky as they move all over the place. Why this set did not come with 2- axle-1-hole thin connector is beyond me. It actually solves a lot of issues.

But yes, I feel Ketarā€™s design is spot on while his build could easily be improved.

On a side note: I may be a little bit biased for several reasons. 1) I found the creatures adorable in the netflix special. 2) I tend to gravitate towards things that are typically disliked. See my liking of Solek and my liking of Trubbish, Garbodor, Lickiliky, and vinilite from Pokemon. But I still stand by what I said.

2 Likes

Well, fair enough! Thank you for helping me understand your point of view. I appreciate it, and Iā€™m glad I got the chance to learn a different perspective on a set that I personally am not a fan of. Thank you!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve owned or come into contact with a lot more Bionicle sets than I can count, but a personal favorite of mine is always going to be the Rahkshi, specifically Panrahk. I have had more fun with that set than any other Bionicle set.

As for the class/category system people are using here, excluding the Rahkshi:

Matoran: Solek.

Toa: Kopaka Nuva. This was before I became addicted to the Akaku, so bear in mind I was at that point in time lingering on whether or not I should choose Lewa or Pohatuā€™s masks for my own personal preference.

Makuta: Teridaxā€™s design is by far one of the coolest things Iā€™ve ever had the chance of building and toying around with, but Krika will always hold favor in my eyes due to how completely different he is from basically anything else.

Rahi: Donā€™t know if this counts, but Iā€™d have to go with either Gadunka or Fenrakk. Both are incredible sets with a lot of articulation and very fluid, well-thought-out designs with a lot of life put into them.

Titan: Brutaka. Absolutely incredible set, one of the best Bionicle sets of all time, and definitely the best set from 2006.

2 Likes

Probably Antroz because it is my favorite character. But I love lots of other sets. Esspecially titans which I donā€™t have any of them.

1 Like

Adding on to my previous listā€¦

I love the toa mata. I just love them. I want all of them, too.
so ya.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

The green bean kind.

4 Likes

My favorties are Rocka 4.0 and Witch Doctor.

Thatā€™s breakout

A.K.A. 4.0

If you go to page 55 in ā€œBionicle: Makutas Guide to the Universeā€, GREG FARSTEY spelt Karaparā€™s name as Carapar. He spelt it wrong.

Unpopular Opinion Time! :laughing:

My favorite sets of all time are the Bohrok. Sorry clone haters, but I think they were an absolute masterpiece.

anyway, continuing the trend
Small Sets: McToran
Toa sets: Toa Mata
Titan Set: Keetongu (probably another unpopular opinion) I also love the Bahrag, but Keet wins because of he pose-ability.

also my least favorite Titan set was Brutaka so Iā€™m surprised to see that most of you loved himā€¦ I just always thought he had really awkward torso proportionsā€¦

1 Like

Brutakaā€™s one of my favorites, I have no idea what youā€™re talking about. His proportions look great, very human.

4 Likes

Butā€¦ He doesnā€™t have hands!

True! but then again, neither do the Toa Mata.
To be fair, Iā€™m not really sure what it is I like about Keet. Heā€™s just a cool set to me.

I would say my favorite would beā€¦probablyā€¦erā€¦umā€¦Iā€™ll sayā€¦toa Ignika?..Maybe?