What is your native tongue?

Could not find this topic, so here we go.

My native language is Romanian, a latin language similar to French, Italian, Spanish, etc. But for some reason, when people are talking about the Latin languages, they always forget about my language.

Anyway, are there other people here who’s native language is not English [poll type=multiple min=1 max=1 public=true]

• English
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Italian
  • Other
    [/poll]

Those who have voted “Other” please specify exactly what language.

Vietnamese

2 Likes

Really? Your location seems to be Sydney Australia…

Finnish

1 Like

Did you know that Finnish is one of the very few non Indo European languages in Europe? And is in the same family with Estonian and Hungarian

I’m well aware, we’re from the finno-ugric language group. Estonians are our neighbors and we can understand each other on a low level. Hungarians not at all.

Finnish is also one of the hardest languages in the world.

2 Likes

It sure is. But for some reason, Hungarian is regarded as harder. Hungarians are our neighbors, and they are also the largest minority in our country (6.1%) . Also there is a little Hungarian influence in the Romanian Vocabulary. How similar are Estonian and Finnish by vocabulary?

my mom and dad had to go away by boat but my dad went to New Zealand first they had to leave because of the war

1 Like

Do you commonly speak Vietnamese or most you speak English?

english i barely know my native tongue

1 Like

Finnish

1 Like

You’re from Finland too?

German

Speak, three languages you are trilingual, two, bi-lingual, speak one language and you’re American.

6 Likes

Yeah, but this is specifically about what someone’s first language is, not if they can speak more than one. Like English is mine, doesn’t mean I can’t speak more than one : p

3 Likes

Indeed

1 Like

Yeah, I know, but I still thought the joke kinda had to do with the situation. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Fairly. There are a fair amount identical words or slight variations. Often similar words mean completely different things though.

For instance:
Finnish: hallitus = government
Estonian: hallitus = mold
Finnish: ase = weapon
Estonian: ase = location (Finnish word ‘asema’ roughly means location/position)

Same meanings:
Finnish: maakunta = province
Estonian: maakond = province

Still, the languages aren’t similar enough to hold a fluid conversation. Switching to english is generally easier for both of us. We can catch on similar words to figure each other out, but straight up understanding is a long shot.

A lot of misunderstandings can also happen. Say, an Estonian says “Meil on suvel pulmad”, which means “We have the wedding in summer”, but a Finn can misunderstand that as “We have trouble in summer”.

3 Likes

Swedish

1 Like

I speak stupid, in that everything out of my mouth is stupid in some way, shape, or form.

2 Likes