"What LEGO would Have Done..."

For what is otherwise a pretty standard set of Toa, ever since the debut of Toa Norik and Toa Iruni, fans have shown a wide range of opinions on how the rest of the Hagah should look - and now that we have landed on their physical designs, their metallic armour colour is one of the last points of contention to finally be settled, once and for all.
I’ve seen many armour-colour-distribution pitches from Message Boards users here, and other members of the BIONICLE fanbase across various Discord communities, Twitter, Facebook groups, YouTube and Instagram comment sections, etc… which often throw around the phrase “like LEGO would have done” - or something to that effect to justify their ideas to others…
And that had me wondering…

What if LEGO had actually released a full lineup of the Toa Hagah in 2005?
What would they have looked like?
What would LEGO have done?

Looking back at the entire release history of all BIONICLE canister sets from G1’s run, there’s a clear pattern when it comes to the canisters the sets are released in:

They all have canister lids in colours corresponding to the character’s most distinguishing colour. Either matching exactly like the Nuva/Bohrok-Kal/Metru/Inika/etc, close shades like the metallic coloured Mata/Bohrok lids, the earthy-toned Barraki tops, or the vibrant Phantoka/Mistika lids/casings…

Even the Vahki with their bright neon lids match the prominent eyes/heads of the corresponding models.

One important trend that is consistent across the board, is that the lid colours correspond to the figure’s design and these colours never overlap within a wave that shares/reuses canister designs.

The only exceptions being:

The Piraka

But their canister lids are both: a. all a “background” grey, divorced from the appearance of the figures, the same way all prior, and most future canisters are, and, b. topped by an additional piece that does fit this “rule”.

So what does this mean for the 4 “unreleased” Hagah?

The two Hagah we got, Iruni and Norik have gold and silver canister lids, respectively - representing their distinguishing colours, but not necessarily their primary/elemental one (much like the Vahki), otherwise Norik would have been copper and Iruni - metallic green…
Instead, their metallic armour colours are the primary identifying colour, and it can be safely assumed the others would follow suit.

They share a canister design with the Toa Hordika, meaning had LEGO produced the other 4 in 2005 as well, its very unlikely they’d have used Metru red, brown, green, blue, white, or black - and instead, continue the theme of the Hagah and use metallic colours.

It’s already well-established that the Hagah had metallic armour as Toa, so this should come as no surprise, however its even less likely they’d have reused the same lid colours Norik and Iruni used, so that means no gold or silver either.

So what colours could they have used instead?

Well, the Toa Mata and Bohrok are good places to start looking. They too had metallic lids which were in a similar hue to the product they were for. They were metallic red/copper, green, blue, black/gunmetal, white/silver and tan/gold.

In fact, the silver and gold used on the Hagah canisters are the same shades used on the Mata’s/Bohrok’s lids too, and not an exact match to the plastic colour used on either of the models themselves.

An even earlier example of this slight inconsistency is the Krana-Kal, which come in similar pearl colours to the lids of the prior Bohrok, but aren’t an exact match. They are however, practically identical to the actual plastic colours used in other sets.

Disambiguation:
  • Tahnok-Kal’s Krana is flat dark gold - like Iruni’s armour.
  • Gahlok-Kal’s and Nuhvok-Kal’s are the same metal blue (pearl sand blue) and copper (pearl reddish-gold) later used in the Knights Kingdom large action figures.
  • Pahrak-Kal’s is the gunmetal used prior to 06
  • Lehvak-Kal’s pearly olive is an exclusive colour as far as I know (also used in Kraata), but closely matches the metallic (olive) green used on various technic fairing parts.
  • Kohrak’s is pearl white, (which is pretty close to silver, but likely only not actually silver in order to contrast with the rest of the silver parts the Bohrok-Kal utilized, AND be more easily distinguished from the separate silver-state of Krana-Kal in the story, and the very rare and valuable sterling silver Krana.)

This eliminates the concern of them not having colours in LEGO’s palette that exactly match the lids, and provides tangible examples of the plastic colours they could have used.

Pouks and Kualus already can’t use gold and silver like Pohatu and Kopaka did before them, as those colours are already in use - meaning Gaaki and Bomonga likely wouldn’t use metal blue and gunmetal, respectively, otherwise they’d be the only exceptions.

How do they look?

Since two of the Toa Hagah models that won the first half of the canon contest happened to utilize new metallic colours that fit perfectly in line with these “requirements”; Metal blue Kualus, and gunmetal Pouks - I’ve elected to keep them - leaving metallic green and copper between the two remaining Hagah…

This is my personal favourite distribution of colours.
At first I wanted to see Gaaki’s and Bomonga’s metallics flipped as those felt like more elemental combinations to me and I considered them less drastic deviations from the original winning designs… but it made Pouks and Bomonga too similar to each other colour-wise.

This isn’t the definitive conclusion by any means - just the one of the potential combinations that meet the criteria of this particular hypothetical that was visually the most satisfying and appealing to me, personally.

There are many variables and biases in play here, so if you have other thoughts on this, you’re more than welcome to share them.
But just remember:
LEGO doesn’t just design the toys, they’re selling products. The marketing/branding/shelf presence is all taken into equal consideration because if that fails - the sets don’t sell; and to ignore any part of what makes the whole product when making the claim your preference is “what they would have done” is disingenuous.

Was this entire post basically pointless?
…yes :thinking:

Did I have fun with it anyway?
sure. :gregf:

Images used are a combination of my own, edits of my own, the winning Hagah designs by @TheUnderscoredDouble, @doni and @Kodiak, from All-Out-Brick, edits of All-Out-Brick’s, and @Planetperson.

46 Likes

This is a really good argument for the 6 split I gotta say.

From what I’ve seen recently I’m the most vocal person against it, and you almost have me convinced.

Awesome edits btw!

9 Likes

Nice photoshopping!

1 Like

this kinda just makes me wanna see someone make full canister art for the remaining hagah

and then put it on actual canisters

3 Likes

very interesting
It would be neat if they had actually released the other hagah because then we would have more metallic bonkle pieces

1 Like

I like this hypothesis, it does seem very logical. Although I am also an advocate of the 6-way color split (with the slight deviation that I would like pink Pouks) so I’m probably biased too. Anyway, very nice edit as well!

1 Like

very nice

1 Like

There’s one problem with this theory though: at the time the Hagah were made, gold and silver were common colours in Bionicle; most of Iruini’s pieces came on Lhikan, most of Norik’s pieces already came in silver. The same cannot be said of the other mettalic colours, aside from maybe gunmetal.

If Lego had made all 6 as sets, I believe they would have all been silver, gold, and maybe gunmetal, and the lids would have been their Metru colours (since at that point they’d be less “special edition”)

It is possible, though; Bionicle kinda had ridiculous budget at the time, and we do have precedent for a wave with rare colours (the Rahkshi and the Piraka’s secondary colours)

5 Likes

Heh.

Good enough for me.

I do think there’s still a good chance that LEGO would’ve made it a 3-3 split, because, as Racie mentioned, copper/metal green/metal blue/gunmetal weren’t as common, while silver and gold really were. But still; would’ve been hecken nice.

3 Likes

personally I’d like 3-3 gold/silver split
unfortunately I don’t think that will become canon

3 Likes

Well, one of the finalists has a “soft” 3-3 split.

3 Likes

hmm?
which one?

Giving them metru colored lids would cause confusion on shelves with the Toa Hordika, especially among parents buying sets for their kids.

As for the colors being rare, this is only partially true - see 8794 Sir Santis, from whom Kualus got his shoulder armor. We also saw plenty of gunmetal on Makuta/Teridax and later on Maxilos and 08 Takanuva. Besides the robots from Exo Force, I can’t speak so much for copper and metal green - the latter being a metallic color, not pearl, with the exception of maybe the Krana Kal.

5 Likes

Fair point. Could use the six mettalic colours the Mata used, then. The Mata didn’t have any mettalic armour, so it doesn’t have to match the sets.

hich I would hope Lego wouldn’t use because it’s an illegal connection.

3 Likes

Judging by other Bionicle sets on the market at the time they likely would’ve been 3:3 silver and gold. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe any other 2005 Bio sets used gunmetal.

Gunmetal was used in both 2004 and 2006 though, which is partially why I’ve leaned towards a 2:2:2. It’s realistic for the time period, has strong symmetry, and makes the team look very cohesive.

However, I’ll begrudgingly admit that the colors used at the time might not be the best argument. As Racie02 says;

So who knows, I guess.

3 Likes

other metallic colors that could have been used for example the Rahkshi colors and the Kraakhan

1 Like

I can’t bring myself to agree with this reasoning as it flies in the face of the objective parts of this analysis. These “rarer” colours were also used pretty liberally in another line of colorful knigtly heroes from a distant past, adorned in uniquely coloured metallic armour from 2005 - Knights Kingdom II.
Those colours were all in production as of 2003, used in BIONICLE no less, and at least 5 of them to my knowledge were in use in 05. The scarcity of certain colours only affects what purists are able to build with existing parts - it’s not typically a constraint for set designers, so long as it’s within LEGO’s palette and budget, it’s fair game.

If the two existing Hagah’s identifying colours weren’t gold or silver, and instead… something else (other than the metru colours too - not entirely sure what you’d suggest be their new box colours,) or perhaps had an original canister and lid design, then sure.
So long as the other 4 followed this rule too, I don’t see why they couldn’t have all been gold/silver, or gold/silver/gunmetal in this case.
However, I did not go into this thought experiment with the plan to change released sets to fit a given preference - I was just looking at all the data we had and taking it as-is, then drawing one of many possible conclusions from there.

If the remaining Hagah’s appearances were “released” in comic illustrations, not as sets, then it’s entirely possible they’d fit one of those popular metallic colour distributions… But on the other side of that coin, the ‘rarity’ of parts doesn’t apply to the artists either, nor are they limited to physically released molds or colours, so it’s just as likely they’d be just about anything else. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think a single character design that’s exclusive to the comics is replicable with existing parts - except for maybe the skrall/vortixx palette swaps, and the like.
But that’s diverging from the point since I was looking at “what LEGO would have done, had the Hagah been released as a full 6-set wave in 2005” - as that’s how most people using that argument intend it, and some even like to imagine them - as “unreleased” sets.

The only other way LEGO could have released them that permits one of these colour splits that I can think of is if you dropped the “2005” part of this exploration, and instead assume they’d be released in 2-set special edition waves in the following years, like Norik and Iruni were in 05, as they’d no longer be intended to share shelf space.
This would however mean it wouldn’t exactly be an even split any way you spin it from this point onwards, as between 2005 and 2006, LEGO updated their metallics; replacing flat dark gold with pearl gold and silver with a paler pearl light grey. Gunmetal was also used prominently in 06, so it’s inclusion can’t be ruled out in this hypothetical either.

These comments, while not exactly the constructive, analytically-driven opposition I was hoping for, do still help me in highlighting the very emotionally/personally based opinions in this discussion about their colours being “backed up” by this claim I address at the start. :wink:
It’s perfectly fine to have your own preferences, and hold them for whatever reason(s) you choose, but as I said In my closing thoughts; (which apparently needs to be reiterated)

I do really appreciate all the discussion, thoughts and compliments though, everyone - thank you! :grin:

5 Likes

How so?

I think your initial analysis is still completely valid; I’m simply pointing out a counter point you hadn’t addressed (though you certainly have now)

My point about the colours isn’t that they’re rare, but the amount of recolours a full set is six would require. Not counting new molds, Norik and Iruini each have 2 recolors, their chestplates, Norik’s mask, and iruini’s spear. How many would the Hagah require?

Kualus: the spear tip exists, as do the shoulder pads. That leaves the feet (unless he has mata feet) thighs, and chest plate, plus the mask. 3/4.

Pouks: the feet exist, but not in 2005. There were no viable spear tips for him in 05 either. There is a chestplate, lehvak-kal’s shield. The shin piece didn’t exist yet, so that counts too, and there weren’t any gunmetal masks yet. 4.

Bomonga: his feet are also used as his chestplate, and the gearbox cover could be black; that still leaves a spear, mask, shoulders, thighs, and feet. That’s 5.

Gaaki: ho boy, there are no copper parts made for a Metru build, except maybe a Mata mask. She needs 6 recolors, 5 if you use a Mata mask, 4 if you want to do like Bomonga and give her a foot chest.

Sure, bionicle did have high budget, but it still had a limit. The fact that Norik uses Nuva shoulder pads rather than Metru shoulder pads might indicate their recolour budget was limited. And while many of the parts needed to make a Hagah build already existed in 2005 in gold and silver, the same cannot be said of the other mettalic colours.

1 Like

Hmm, up until now I’ve been a fan of Copper Bologna and Green Gaaki, but that last point is something I never considered before.

have I got news for you…

2 Likes

These look really good, it would be nice if you had wrapped the images around the canisters.

You put a lot of thought into this though which is really cool. Nice read :slight_smile:

3 Likes