What makes a good LEGO theme?

What makes a good LEGO theme? A good story, cool sets, nice pieces, or what? Share your opinions on the things that make up a good LEGO theme.
To me, a good story (such as Bionicle), or very cool sets (such as Racers, IMO) make up the elements that makes a theme that everyone knows and loves.

What do you think?

1 Like

An awesome, complex story that takes itself seriously. In set form, unique builds and great designs for those who don’t know/care about the subject. and awesome story significance (or lack there of) and great minifigures for the nerds. My favorite themes are Star Wars, Marvel, Lord of the Rings, Bionicle, and Overwatch for a reason.

2 Likes

Cool sets, with interesting designs and good parts to use for MOCing. A decent story helps, but I don’t expect much of that from LEGO tbh.

2 Likes

Yeah, I kinda agree. Other then Ninjago, LEGO doesn’t really make that much story-driven themes nowdays…

personally i don’t Think story is entirely necessary to make a great theme. it helps but i don’t Think it’s the main thing like others. the main thing that makes a great theme to me is memorability. my best example of a theme that does memorability right that did not use story especially much aside from to set up a premise is Power miners, Power miners did a uniform look better than almost any other theme and the lime and orange mining vehicles and rock monsters have developed into something of a late 2000s lego Icon. even being referenced in Mighty Micros 6 years after the theme ended when they modeled banes drill after the thunder driller. other fantastic examples include ice planet 2002, the original Classic space and vikings.

1 Like

Money, if it brings in cash, then the theme stays

5 Likes

Not being cancelled

5 Likes

duplo best theme. confirmed.
been relesing sets every year since 1969.

Duplo did get cancelled. It was gone for a few years. 2004 if I remember correctly.

some say it was canceled between 2002 and 2003 but even still acording to brickset 5 duplo sets were released under the bob the builder subtheme in 2002 and 1 regular duplo set was released in 2003. only to return to regular releases in 2004. which is the closest to no new duplo sets we’ve come in coming up on 50 years now. but duplo has released new sets every year since 1969

Very interesting question. To be honest, I can’t give you the whole full right now, but it would be more or less like that: For the fans- pretty much what @Toatrex has said; for the LEGO Group- [quote=“Traykar, post:6, topic:47427, full:true”]
Money, if it brings in cash, then the theme stays
[/quote]