What would you do for G3?

I think @Winger is saying that he doesn’t want a (or worse,- multiple) Bionicle years based on Overwatch/Fortnite. (Something that I totally agree with.:wink::+1:)

1 Like

If a G3 was to happen, sets would likely be System, as it does not seem that CCBS will continue.

For me, at least, large part of toy side of Bionicle are detailed, posable, and playable figures. While having brick-built structures and places in Bionicle toys is interesting idea, making Bionicle toyline focused solely around that would miss out on what made Bionicle toys special. That does not mean that the minifigure-scale builds would not work, merely that they should be only type of sets in G3.

TOYS

My proposal is making primary type of toy in Bionicle G3 system constraction. Remember those brickbuilt animals and creatures in Creator? These would make our Rahi equivalents. Then you would have humanoid Toa as our heroes. Perhaps we have four primary elements, to allow for greater number of character groupings or for inclusion of minifigure-scale builds.

If we have also standard minifigure-scale builds (with minifigures), addition of these could add to the perspectives. You can have minifigures in standard builds alone representing Matoran equivalents, constraction alone representing Toa and Rahi at their natural size, and when you put them together, you got Rahi made giant by Makuta’s sorcery rampaging through landscape, while Toa themselves use either powerful artifacts or their inner powers to temporaly be large enough to efficently confront the giant Rahi.

While masks will still feature in storyline and toys, perhaps represented by printed or stickered plates, knock-off-the-mask playstyle is likely off. As replacement, Kraata Leeches, represented as a new piece, attach to Rahi (perhaps by attaching to studs on the toys), and can be knocked by Toa to free rahi from Makuta’s control.

Said Makuta would not get a set immediatly, and when he shows up, he is an eldritch abomination like in 2001, distinct from humanoid Toa and animalistic Rahi.

That is what I have decided about toys.

Assuming that we have mix of constraction and builds, story and storytelling would be as follow.

STORYTELLING

Firstly, main medium of storytelling, knowing LEGO’s approach these days, would likely be an animated series. Artstyle should be closer to Bohrok Animations than to 2015 Animations, as these did not look good, mainly the characters.

Due to story reasons, the world should feel more artificial than say Mata Nui. Imagine seemingly natural environments such as forests, deserts, caves, volcanic lands, but at a closer look, they look like they have been constructed and not formed naturaly. It should be noted that in the show, the world should not be made out of LEGO parts, only characters and creatures are LEGO, like both Bohrok and 2015 animations or Ninjago show, not LEGO Movie.

About tone, it should be able to be taken seriously. Being serious in this case does not at all mean being grimdark, it only means not being (semi-)comedy. Ninjago’s style that mixes serious and absurd (in equal parts) would not work for mainline Bionicle. Not that Bionicle cannot have funny moments, but if they are present, they should not ruin the tone like G2 website Toa descriptions.

STORY

The Legend

In the time before the time, there were only starry heavens.

Then great Manu created the world. The Sun, the Moon, the Great Ocean, the islands. Then, to populate the world, he crafted miriad Rahi, and us, the Tamata. Before Manu went to sleep his deep wakeless sleep, he appeared to us, saying: “You were made in my image, to create.”

And create we did. The four Great Cities arose on our island home, and their inhabitants made many wonderful things. But our happiness was not to last.

Manu’s evil brother, Makuta, resented Manu and his creation the world. The lord of shadows sought to tear apart what his brother built, and so, he took a worm, and said: “You, the worm of the earth, shall become known as Kraata. I, the Dark Lord Makuta bestow upon you the dark power of possesion. You shall rule the beasts in my name, destroying what Tamata have made.”

Makuta’s power was great and terrible. From a mere worm, he made Kraata, and through them, he held dominion over Rahi. But his sorcery extended far beyond that. He turned elements against us, and Wahi became wild, dangerous places. When we retreated beyond our city walls, the Rahi he ruled were turned giant by Makuta’s spell, and our city walls crumbled around us. Great Cities were beset by floods, fires, earthquakes and even tornadoes. We fled from our once great cities, hiding before rampages of Makuta’s gigantic monsters.

But the hope is not lost. Manu knew that this could happen, and so gave part of his powers to four heroes called Toa. They are:
Tahu, Toa of Fire.
Gali, Toa of Water.
Lewa, Toa of Air.
Onua, Toa of Earth.
When Time is right, the Toa shall come and save the world from destruction, rousing Manu from his slumber.

The Body of the Story

Toa fight possesed Rahi, and are themselves given power to become giant by Manu and thus able to confront the beasts even in their large form. They free them from Makuta’s control, and face Harosa, Queen of Worms deep underground. After the Kraata worms are defeated, Tamata celebrate, while Toa gain new forms through ancient technology in Harosa’s lair.

Makuta then reveals his secret weapon. Kraata are, in fact, larval form of Rahski. The worm Makuta transformed refered to a kind of insect, Harosa being example of neoteny. And the Rahshki are indeed insectoid monstrosities, a swarm of locusts looking to strip the land bare. After a struggle, Toa manage to repel first wave of Rahski.

To stop more from coming, Toa find and confront Makuta, monstrous thing unlike anything they have ever seen. They combine their powers, and manage to sever link between Makuta and Rahski. Then as Makuta falls to ground, a regal looking figure appears, Makuta’s original form.

What follows is chaotic battle over fate of the island. Ghostly versions of past generation of Toa appear, corrupted by Makuta’s power. When purified of Makuta’s taint, they dissapear, leaving apart four keys. Makuta then turns giant, far larger than Rahi and Toa can, Toa rush to Manu’s tomb to awaken him. They find a figure identical to Makuta. They were brothers, after all.

The Truth

In the time before the time, there were only starry heavens.

From the stars, came the Builders, and through their hand, Manu, began to create the world. But everything that the Manu created was imperfect, wrong. And so, the Builders created second Manu to replace the first, and sent the ancient Toa to imprison the First Manu deep underground, taking away part of his powers. Through the Second Manu, they created the world anew.

Then, they left.

The First Manu began to resent that the world was created by his copy and that he was left a deformed monster. Was he not the chosen hand of the Builders, which they unjustly discarded? He took upon himself name of Makuta to symbolicaly sever his connection to his creators. He sought to recreate the world in his image, but for that, he needed to regain his powers.

Makuta managed to free himself, and used his lessened powers along with Kraata to terrorise the island. He created the Rahkshi swarm to be awakened when it suits him the most. Makuta did all this to lure Toa to the island, and through them, to steal a portion of Second Manu’s powers, allowing him to recreate the world in his image. He almost suceeded.

on the frozen island of mata nui…
4 canisters are thawed out.
these are the toa, hook, flame, axe, and claw.
they battle makuta,
who wishes to destroy the island due to the
surface being uninhabitable to his species.

1 Like

Have G1 kill G2

and then slizers kills G1!

This motive doesn’t make much sense to me.

well, let me explain some more (wow. this really sounded better in my head but here goes) mata nui creates the island, but makuta is
enraged because mata nui makes a paradise, a paradise
that he cannot inhabit above ground. over time the legends of
the makuta and mata nui working together are twisted and makuta becomes the villain of the piece. so he thinks “if da people think i’m a monster, then i will be one.” and so he starts an insane revenge thing.
multiple stuffs about taking care of the planet are referenced, and
makuta eventually is defeated by the toa and
everyone is happy. except makuta.

I have two ways I’d run a G3.

For one, there’d be a story-driven one, and it’d be System-built. I’d marry some of the story elements of G1 and G2. Makuta won’t be the main bad guy - instead, he has several generals who the Toa face first. I have some LDD files of concepts for this sitting around somewhere.

For my other concept, I’d have an 18+ range of sets. The focus wouldn’t be on building the whole team, just collecting your favorite Toa. Each Toa would be a highly poseable figurine with a stand, and each one would be ~1000 pieces, a blend of System and Technic. They’d have a UCS-style info plaque, a golden mask, and a brick-built elemental effect (like a flame to come from Tahu’s hand, etc.).

2 Likes

could we see them if you find them?

1 Like

Apparently Stud.io can open LDD files (and mangle them). I built these with the available parts - you can see Makuta’s four generals, as well as a few models of the big man himself (and a titan form, that I’m not sure if I plagiarized or not).

2 Likes

whoa! these look pretty nice!

1 Like

TBH, I would opt for a hard reboot.
That would provide a nice clean slate with plenty of options for the creators to play with.

Yeah, G2 was a big misstep on TLG’s part, but it wasn’t a hard reboot in the “traditional” sense. (since, as you probably know, it was meant to be tied to G1, with the whole “lost upper half of the Mask of Time” thing.) Plus, even if G2 left some bitter taste in my mouth, (I’m probably not alone with that.) I’d still like to see Bionicle as a story, return once, in a really good take, finally done well this time, and see it get the real recognition it deserved a long time ago.

2 Likes

I’ve said this before but it would be interesting to revisit spheres magna and make it a hard reboot with Annona as the main antagonist in the same vien as Makuta pre-2004. I had this idea for a while but it eventually grew into its own species unrelated to bionicle. One idea I had was collectable “algae breathers” that attached to glatorian helmets. They need these algae breathers or “masks” because the air would be polluted for some to breathe properly.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t make it happen.

Like, Bionicle is a great series and all, but in today’s world and market, Bionicle just couldn’t survive. Even if LEGO did bring it back just for old time’s sake, I don’t see a way that they could do it that would be pleasing to old fans ,interesting to new fans, and profitable.

1 Like

I’ve heard this plenty of times before and it feels very disrespectful that you reply to MY post just to criticize the topic instead making your own post in the thread. I would’ve been okay if you made another post here and that’s it but it feels rude here because by relying to me, that implies you have something to say about what I said but chose to talk about the topic as a whole.

Um.

He prolly hit the reply button on your post by accident, instead of the one just below it that replies to the entire topic.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to offend you, I just, like Winger said, forgot to click the button to reply to the topic instead of your post.

2 Likes

This is probably the unpopular opinion, but if I could make BIONICLE G3, I wouldn’t. I love BIONICLE, but I think it’s best to remember it the way it was than to keep rebooting it.

If I HAD to make G3, I would probably return to an earlier, unused concept of G1 that involved the Toa guarding over the last vestiges of humanity, kept in stasis as the Great Spirit searches for a new home. That way there would be a reason for the audience to become personally invested in Mata Nui’s mission.

2 Likes

I have a lot of ideas on how the BIONICLE G3 could be organized, but I know that, especially after the G2 failed, LEGO wouldn’t be taking any risks in creating the G3, so I’m going to share the safest vision I have.

The six G1 Matoran (like Onepu), corresponding to the six major elements, are transported someway to another planet, another dimension, etc., where they experience a three-year adventure, becoming Toa and fighting against some antagonist associated with the Great Beings.

During the three years of the plot, Greg (responcible for connecting G3 to G1) would have time to write side books or short stories to close the storylines of Velika and the Red Star, giving a decent closure to the plot of G1 and introducing a new threat to Spherus Magna.

After three years, the six Matoran would return to the planet of Spherus Magna, finding that there’s a new crisis as another antagonist, such as TSO, started his reign. Since the heroes have been absent for a long time, they would learn gradually what has happened over the past years from G1 heroes, and with them, new fans would have the option to gradually learn about the G1 lore.

That way, G1 fans would get a long awaited sequel, and for new fans, the G3 would be an accessible introduction to the world of BIONICLE.

From the introductory three-year plot, I would expect the creators to take it more seriously and create a story for slightly older audiences than Ninjago, Chima or Nexo Knights, where the world would be darker, more edgy, and the death of the character would matter, not being retconed as is often done in the case of Ninjago.

There’s many options, but the most important is to close plots opened in G1, because as long as it remains opened, old fans won’t easly accept any new generations. Personally, I would accept any BIONICLE content, but to keep series alive, we need more than few less demanding fans :stuck_out_tongue:

About sets… well, Uniters with Master’s gearboxes and smaller chestplaces instead of one huge piece would be a perfect solution. And bring back one-colored masks with axle instead of those weird hinges from G2 :stuck_out_tongue:
And more, more collectibles ^^

1 Like

I think this is the best idea I’ve heard for a G3/continuation. Regardless of who the new heroes are, or why they were gone, this gives a great point of accessibility for new fans while still continuing the old story.

I think it would be a little bit tricky, though, to wrap up the old story while simultaneously setting up the new story that will eventually explore that old story.

Perhaps, rather than having a gap between G3 and G1, G3 could start at the same time G1 ended, but from the perspective of completely new characters; if you focus on, for example, a group of Agori and Glatorian from Bota Magna, you could have them exploring the history of the old story in order to understand the events of the conclusion that are currently happening.

The long-time fans would get to experience the old story from a new perspective while also getting a conclusion, and new fans would get to explore an entirely new, mysterious world.

3 Likes