Who are the most important moccists in the Bionicle Community?

yes ghid, you are a decent moccists
i really need to figure out how to get into one of those

1 Like

dang it he stole my joke

It’s obviously me I’m surprised more people don’t know :triumph:

2 Likes

Loaded Question lol

6 Likes

I personally feel Bukkey and Sokoda are quite good, and Ben Cossy has put out tons of content on helping mocists, which I’d say makes him decently important

3 Likes

As an actual serious answer, it depends on when the question is asked.

Back in the day, there really wasn’t a mocist deemed more important than any others, but there’s a few which have left an incredible impact on mocing as a whole and really changed how mocs are made nowadays whom I would consider to be ‘important’.

Dviddy and Primus are a couple of notable examples. Their work (and psuedo-rivalry) has lead to some of the most influential Bionicle creations ever built. Best? No. Both of them have room to improve, some areas long overdue, but the impact their builds had on early Bionicle building is absolutely astounding.

Shortly after in terms of repute comes 3rdEye88 and Djokson, who both began honing signature styles that would also influence a lot of future builders. The former’s self-moc ‘Matteo’ presrved that messy, garbled greebling style which was a staple of the mid-2000’s while still being well-built, especially in later iterations, while the latter quickly began branching out into the opposite end of the road, focusing on seeing individual pieces as parts of a complete whole that they were never intended to remotely resemble, honing a style I like to call ‘faces from nothing’ which may have had the most influence on the present day approach to mocing than anyone else.

You could value importance based on present activity, in which case the top contenders are CZQ and Ben Cossy, the former hosting the formerly deceased BioCup to great success, and the latter providing general insight in videos focusing on approaches to mocing. Sokoda might be considered for the list, but even though he does weekly mocs and made a very successful (canceled) IDEAS project, nothing he has done has really changed or affected the status quo. Valuable work, but not revolutionary.

The most important mocists, at the end of the day, are the ones who have inspired you to continue building bigger, better, and bolder, coming up with brand-new techniques and creations with their influence leading you in that direction. Like with Bionicle itself, all mocists creating a moc have a different approach, a different lens in which they see other creations which inspire their own works.

So the most important mocist is the one which made you a better builder. Question answered, topic closed

8 Likes

well there’s @Shadowgear6335 again

1 Like

YOU FOOLS CAN’T SEE THE GENIUS THAT’S IN ME
well, @bukkey @Connor_Hoffman @jayfa are probably my favorite builders.

5 Likes

How 'bout @WholesomeGadunka?

5 Likes

All of these are great moccists, but you should keep in mind that these are the most important and influential moccists, not the best ones.

8 Likes

I absolutely agree with this. I have always been against championing the “best” builders. They are influential, sure, but if admiring them is all we’ll do, we’ll just get discouraged thinking that we’ll never be as good as them, instead of developing our own unique styles.

My advice would be not to compare yourself with any of those builders, but just do your own thing

7 Likes

This^

Imagine two trained mma fighters in a ring and instead of fighting with fists, the competitors have to knock each other out with inflatable rubber baseball bats. That’s exactly what bionicle moccing competitions are. The competitors are allowed to upgrade their bats to soft plastic but it removes half of your prize money. But the plastic bat isn’t enough to defeat your opponent. So you keep losing money to upgrade your weapon to harder plastic, but the wood bat you need isn’t available because someone in the last round already bought it, and for whatever reason, the hosts of the event refuse to resupply them. So you resort to filing the aglets of your shoes down to screwdriver heads and use those to remove a pylon from the ring. You stick the pylon into the rubber bat and knock your opponent out, thus winning the match. After that, everyone files their aglets down to screwdriver heads and the same strategy is employed for every match thereafter. The end.

This is why I don’t rank moccists, because lego mocs are the bat. The rubber that makes up the bat is equivalent to lego pieces. It’s an impractical material for knocking out your assailant, the pieces are impractical objects for designing 1/16 scale figures. Ideally the bat would be made of steel, ideally the pieces would be more precise and more available. The aglet strategy is NPU. Once one person does it, it becomes the preferred trick. Problem is, the number of NPUs is finite and they become less interesting the more you see them. How many times do you want to see masks used as thigh armor or cone bricks used as forearms? That’s your decision.

8 Likes

Being a better moccist is Pay-2-Win. RIGGED!
(We gonna ignore Stud.Io because I hate using it)

4 Likes

well we all know everyone on flickr just copies Djock :middle_finger:

4 Likes

Ben Cossy when it comes to actual importance, but not the quality of his mocs.

1 Like

i prefer their baselines

1 Like

not sure if he counts as a moccist but if we are to have hope perhaps tooth domino man

1 Like