Who Is The Seventh Toa?

The way I see it, there are a few possible answers, and I’m curious to see, just on a personal preference level, which ones people lean toward.

Now the obvious one is Takanuva. Toa of Light, yadda yadda yadda. Now, since he was intended by Artakha and/or the Great Beings as a failsafe in the same way as the Toa Mata were, the fact that he is transformed from a Matoran like all the more average Toa out there does kinda diminish his impact, especially since it was implied it didn’t have to be Takua specifically; any Av-Matoran would have done. Still, it being Takua does give him a more personal connection than most of the others.

The next most viable contender is of course Helryx. She’s the only one aside from the Toa Mata to have been built directly instead of transformed, and while distant from the team (and arguably redundant since she and Gali share the same element) due to her duties as leader of the Order Of Mata-Nui, she still has that inherent connection to them that even Takanuva lacks.

For a looser case, there’s Toa Ignika. While not technically a Toa so much as a Toa-like body constructed by the Mask Of Life, it still got inducted as an honorary member shortly before its sacrifice. While brief enough that its presence on the team doesn’t necessarily clash with the others’ claims, this is operating under the assumption that there’s no slot for Eighth, Ninth, etc. members.

And finally, laugh if you will but I’m being completely serious here, there’s Voriki. While her claim to the spot is rather hampered by the fact she doesn’t technically exist, she still managed to get the spot in Brickonicle, and does have at least some degree of potential for the role. If nothing else, she’s the first claimant, with the hoax being widely believed possibly before Takanuva was even a gleam in Lego’s eye, and in a roundabout way seems the most fitting with the tribal theme of the early years.

Also, there’s Ekimu, who basically filled Takanuva’s role as G2’s Toa of Light, even if he denied being one.

As an honorary mention, there’s also Ahkmou, who was rumored to be planned as a Shadow Toa antagonist to Takanuva had G1 not been cancelled in '09. While his villainous role naturally precludes him from being counted as a member of the team, and his rivalry with Takanuva also means that the seventh spot is already taken, he still would have had a unique role that, much like these other examples, puts him a step or two above the more rank-and-file ‘average’ Toa that lived elsewhere in the GSR.

So what do you think? Who is the seventh Toa? Who would you like to see be the seventh Toa? Is there anyone else I’m forgetting who could arguably lay claim to the spot? Would saying ‘all of the above’ and giving the Toa Nuva ten or so members be really stupid or really awesome?

5 Likes

Either Helryx or Ahkmou

Helryx because it makes the most sense, Ahkmou because I wanted him to be a shadow toa!

1 Like

Is always Takanuva, because Helryx is the first Toa and Leader of the Order, “Toa” Ignika is just there in 2008, and @ProfSrlojohn well my top secret project had Ahkmou become a Toa of Shadows, with the name a well-know hunter/destroyer.

4 Likes

Well obviously it’s Takanuva. Light is the obvious stand-out choice for a seventh member, and Takua was close to all the Toa before his transformation, so he definitely fits in.

Although, on that note, I do feel he was severely wasted after '03. He definitely fell by the wayside as an important figure, let alone as one of the Toa Nuva. I also felt we never really got much time to reflect on the fact that this character we once knew was now a legendary hero. The pacing of Mask of Light makes him seem like almost a completely different entity once he put on the mask, instantly snapping into the role of a Toa. You could chalk that up to it being his destiny, but to me Takanuva never really got some time to show his growth into a real hero.

I also would have liked if he had continued to play an important role later down the line, and especially would have liked if we got to maybe see some training he does with the Nuva and his dynamics with the others. Does Tahu envy his legendary status? Maybe Kopaka gets short with him because he still clings to his Matoran tendencies. He always seemed to have an interesting relationship with Gali as a sort of teacher/student thing, that would have been cool to see more of.

7 Likes

Yeah, definitely. If we’d had some time to see him adjusting to the new role and suddenly becoming an equal peer to the other Toa, that would have been really nice. And as for getting to do stuff, I definitely feel like the whole Shadow-Toa Ahkmou idea is some massively wasted potential there, that could have developed both characters through their rivalry.

1 Like

Voriki is a He. Voriki is only female in Brickonicle.

Only, as you pointed out, Voriki is entirely non-canon. So bringing him up is pointless.[quote=“ColdGoldLazarus, post:1, topic:49899”]
Also, there’s Ekimu, who basically filled Takanuva’s role as G2’s Toa of Light, even if he denied being one.
[/quote]

…Are you adding G2 to G1? The topic of this discussion seems really unspecified.[quote=“ColdGoldLazarus, post:1, topic:49899”]
Who is the seventh Toa?
[/quote]

It’s Takanuva. No, it is Takanuva. It’s not Helryx, or Ekimu, or Voriki. LEGO’s stated quite often in the Bionicle canon and LEGO’s promotional material for the series that it is, in fact, Takanuva, not an imaginary character or a character from another continuity.[quote=“ColdGoldLazarus, post:1, topic:49899”]
Would saying ‘all of the above’ and giving the Toa Nuva ten or so members be really stupid or really awesome?
[/quote]

Pretty stupid, honestly. It would completely disregard all of Bionicle canon and LEGO’s incredibly obvious marketing. Kinda like this topic does, actually.[quote=“PakariNation99, post:4, topic:49899”]
I do feel he was severely wasted after '03. He definitely fell by the wayside as an important figure, let alone as one of the Toa Nuva. I also felt we never really got much time to reflect on the fact that this character we once knew was now a legendary hero. The pacing of Mask of Light makes him seem like almost a completely different entity once he put on the mask, instantly snapping into the role of a Toa. You could chalk that up to it being his destiny, but to me Takanuva never really got some time to show his growth into a real hero.
[/quote]

Now this is the kind of topic this should be. Discussing the portrayal of the Toa of Light, the seventh Toa, and if you think LEGO got it right.

The movies are all non-canon even though they cover canon events and the order of them. While the portrayal in the Mask of Light is the most defining portrayal we got, it doesn’t count as the ultimate standard for his depiction in spite of there not being any other proper depiction during that period in canon.

Thanks Greg

4 Likes

Voriki isn’t canon. The closest thing Voriki has to a ‘canon’ appearance is Brickonicle, a high-profile fan project. The Voriki of Brickonicle is a she. So, I’m going to call Voriki a she. You can do whatever you like, and I will do the same.

I bring Voriki up due to historically being the first in popular fan conception to be a ‘seventh toa’, even if it was later proven a hoax, and the idea of them has persisted in fan projects, such as Reviving Bionicle or the aforementioned Brickonicle. For the purposes of the topic, that is enough to be relevant.

Did I ever say I was discussing only G1? I wanted to open a discussion on the general idea of a ‘seventh toa’ in Bionicle, and which of the many characters to fill that role in some capacity or another different people prefer. That includes G2 as well, since that was the role Ekimu was cast in near the end. Note I’m also including Shadow Ahkmou, a concept that was never really officially canon either, but we know could have been. In case it isn’t obvious, I’m not just sticking to Official Lego-Approved Geewun Canon for this. If I failed to make that clear in the original post then I’m sorry, but there’s no need to get all uptight with me over this.

Seriously, what’s your beef here? Might want to take a chill pill or something, you’re really getting on my case about this for some reason, when it’s not really that big a deal? I mean, if you think there isn’t much point in this discussion then fair enough, but there’s no need to act so offended by it.

Hey, the guy was just working with what he had. I certainly wish he’d been able to find the time to do more with Takanuva, but given he was working within the constraints of the toyline, not being able to really find a place for him to do stuff until 2008 is perfectly understandable IMO.

1 Like

Honestly Greg has previously lamented the constraints of having to base the plot off the toyline, because it meant extremely influential characters like Artakha and Helryx never even got sets, while also being forced to throw in random side-stories like Mazeka and Vultraz (imagine if it was Takanuva being paired up with the Melding Teridax). And eventually, even important characters driving the plot just became far too numerous to give them all something to do.

Brutaka’s whole redemption arc happens almost completely off-screen, excluding one fight scene; Karzahni has a great setup but is never really utilised, same with Lesovikk, or Takanuva for that matter. It’s really a shame, but oh well I guess.

4 Likes

I agree, though we did get to see some of his youth in the first Legends book.

1 Like

I… Know this? I literally stated it later on in the post you’re quoting.[quote=“ColdGoldLazarus, post:7, topic:49899”]
The Voriki of Brickonicle is a she. So, I’m going to call Voriki a she. You can do whatever you like, and I will do the same.
[/quote]
I’m just quoting the original source, is all.[quote=“ColdGoldLazarus, post:7, topic:49899”]
I wanted to open a discussion on the general idea of a ‘seventh toa’ in Bionicle, and which of the many characters to fill that role in some capacity or another different people prefer.
[/quote]

Except your wording and the characters you mentioned didn’t really speak of that, but heavily implied general ignorance on the topic instead. There’s a couple places where it’s more implied than others:[quote=“ColdGoldLazarus, post:1, topic:49899”]
especially since it was implied it didn’t have to be Takua specifically; any Av-Matoran would have done.
[/quote]

It may have been implied generally speaking, but the Takuas ofother universes were not destined to become Toa, and so wearing Takanuva’s mask didn’t affect them at all. Takua was destined to be the seventh Toa, and so he was.

While Takanuva was the seventh Toa, he did not become a member of the Nuva. He worked almost entirely independently, sometimes out of choice and sometimes out of force. There are only six toa in the Nuva team and there hasn’t been any implication that will ever really change.

Yes, other teams have had more, but those aren’t the flagrunners of the series. And Lhikan’s impromptu Toa team with more than six ice Toa doesn’t count.

Whoa, calm down. In spite of your initial perception of my post I’m not looking for a fight, just wondering why this topic needs to exist/takes so many great strides over preestablished canon for theories.[quote=“ColdGoldLazarus, post:7, topic:49899”]
I certainly wish he’d been able to find the time to do more with Takanuva, but given he was working within the constraints of the toyline, not being able to really find a place for him to do stuff until 2008 is perfectly understandable IMO.
[/quote]

He always had the short stories, in which he occasionally did retrek over old content. But it was primarily LEGO’s fault for not letting him write a book about the movie plot as the movie was being released.

2 Likes

Takanuva. It makes more sense. Helryx was the first. Toa Ignika would be the last.

1 Like

Alright, looking back at my original post, that’s a somewhat fair assumption to make. I assure you that I’ve been a fan since 2001; it isn’t ignorance of canon or the marketing so much as just not caring all that much? As awful as that probably sounds out of context. XD
Idunno, maybe a better phrasing for this whole thing would have been “Who would be the best seventh Toa?” to indicate it’s more of a what-if scenario. Ah well.

Where was this mentioned? IIRC there were several alternate Takanuvas who showed up in one of the serials; given the name was a condensed version of Takua + Nuva, that means they must have been the Takua of their dimensions; so presumably events played out similarly enough to the canon timeline to allow for their creation before getting sucked into the main universe. But at the same time, I do believe it was stated somewhere that the Mask Of Light could have gone with any given Av-Matoran, thus why the Great Beings relocated several to different parts of the GSR so that there’d probably be one around to wear the mask, wherever the Toa of Light would wind up being needed. At the same time, that also applies in reverse, and the Takua of universes where someone like Solek or Tanma became the Toa of Light instead, still could have become Takanuva if the mask had wound up with him instead. If that makes any sense. Admittedly I could be wrong on this as I haven’t read the serials in ages, but that’s what I remember being my takeaway regarding the whole thing.

Ah, sorry; your original response read as bizarrely hostile, so forgive me for getting a bit defensive there. That you apparently thought I had no clue what I was talking about does kind of explain your tone a bit better, though to be honest it still came off as overly emphatic? But yeah, to clarify on my own end of things; the main reason I’m being so loose with things is for the sake of discussion. I noticed there were several characters, canon or otherwise, who struck me as having the potential under different circumstances, to serve in the role of a seventh member of the team much like Takanuva arguably did (or at the very very least, was billed as doing) in the original story, and wanted to see what other people thought of that. I definitely could have thought the whole question through a bit better before posting, but still; it is what it is.

1 Like

In one of Takanuva’s alternate universe trips (specifically in Dark Mirror), he encounters himself as a Matoran and tries putting the Avohkii on his Matoran self. Nothing happens, because that Takua wasn’t destined to become a Toa. (the fact that he wasn’t destined to be a Toa was also confurmed by Grag)

~W12~

3 Likes

How about this:

Takanuva becomes the 7th Toa, but then eventually betrays the team, revealing that he is actually Ahkmou- Toa of Shadow, who had gotten rid of Takua sometime after being exposed by him in MNOG, and had since assumed his identity and infiltrated the team.*

(The disguise and betrayal could be an interesting bit of foreshadowing to Teridax’s takeover in ‘08, and could offer an interesting alternative identity for the “Takanuva: Toa of Light & Shadow” set from that year.)*

*For the record, I like the way they went with Takanuva being the 7th Toa in the actual storyline; I do think the above idea I’ve outlined could make an interesting alternate universe, though.

I’m a bit confused as to the premise of the topic. Is it tongue-in-cheek, or are we specifically answering who is the 7th Toa in the MoL prophesy? In which case we know it’s Takanuva, although the rationale is a little hazy.

2 Likes

It’s neither, really, but the actual idea I was getting at was kinda poorly-phrased, so honestly it’s probably better to just ignore this.

I thought Voriki was male?

I think Voriki was female in Brickonicle, so that’s probably where that comes from.

2 Likes

yeah why is voriki female

Broke: The seventh toa is Takanuva
Broke: The seventh toa is Ekimu
Broke: The seventh toa is Voriki

Woke:

No joke, that really almost happened.

6 Likes