Why aren't the mahri turaga?

I think since turaga are presented as being “elderly” We forget that age is not necessarily the factor. It’s completely based on choice.

1 Like

They became Turaga because they used the last of their Toa power to awaken the Matoran.

A Toa can give up their Toa Power (which doesn’t recharge, unlike Elemental power) to make Toa Stones, heal others, awaken comatose beings, etc. at any time, but they don’t automatically become Turaga unless their destiny is complete (i.e. why Lhikan didn’t become a Toa until his Toa stones were used) The Mahri’s destiny is over, so they can give up their Toa power and will automatically become Turaga – assuming, of course, that they do not have another destiny.

How exactly “destiny” works is not exactly clear. We know this much: it is preordained at the “birth” of a Matoran/Toa/other MU inhabitant, it can change, it can be left unachieved, but it seems to be a force that tries to be achieved. The only destinies we actually know of, though, are those of Lhikan, The Toa Mata, Mata Nui, Teridax, and Takanuva. We don’t even know the full extent of Lhikan’s destiny, only that it involved the Metru somehow. So it’s possible the Mahri haven’t fulfilled theirs. Actually, it’s entirely possible Matoro never fulfilled his original destiny.

So, basically, The Mahri would become Turaga if they used up all their Toa power, and if their destiny is complete. If not… well, LoMN seems to imply that you stay a Toa, but you have Turaga power level, just not a Turaga body until you actually become a Turaga. So, essentially, this “Turaga-Toa” has the elemental/Mask powers of a Turaga, but the height of a Toa.

~W12~

1 Like

What ever did happen to the Toa Nuva at the end anyway?

Well, you see… Yes.

4 Likes

I mean, did they just live happily ever after on Spherus Magna in their less than stellar Mistika/Phantoka forms? Did they have any position of power? If you think about it, all toa are completely useless by that point. There is no evil left for them to deal with. The makuta are dead, the matoran and agori are getting along. What is the purpose of the toa after the end of bionicle? That’s the question we should be asking!

Greg never finished the story. As far as it is concerned, everything is in limbo. Kopaka and Pohatu are still on the Red Star, Lewa is with a wild Agori tribe, Tahu and Gali are still working with the Bara Magna folks, and Onua is… somewhere.

If you choose to follow the idea that Bionicle ended in 2010 and the serials never happened, then yes, they lived happily ever after.

3 Likes

WHEN DID THEY DIE!!! By mata nui, I really need to read the books. :pensive:

I could see him to be the frist one to socialize with the locals. :slight_smile:

Of course. The best toa is the one who gets forgotten.

2 Likes

They didn’t die, this was in an online serial.

Unless there are any other questions or discussion people would like to have regarding this subject, I think we can close this topic.

4 Likes

Bro, read the serials. My favorite one is Federation of Fear. But yeah I can see this becoming a “trend” of the Toa not giving up on their powers. At this point it would be unnecessary for them to do it.

2 Likes

WHEN DID THEY DIE!!! By mata nui, I really need to read the books.

@MaximusPrime Yeah, man, serials are the way to go. You can find them on BioMedia Project here: Serials | BioMedia Project

Also, to specify, we kind of do know what happened to Onua. At the beginning of the serial the Yesterday Quest, he was carrying out orders for Tahu Nuva as that Toa’s second. So, in the end, Onua got the best position the least-publicized-but-in-reality-the-best-Toa could get.

IMO.

4 Likes

Thanks.

If they became Turaga then that would make HewkiixMacku even weirder.
Just imagine for a moment.

1 Like

I’ve written what by this point is pretty much a novel’s worth of fanfiction looking into that question. Then again, that’s just fanfiction, not canon. Regrettably the canon never really gave us much of an answer there nor closure of any kind.

2 Likes

I’ll take anything by this point.

I’ve been posting it in the ‘Literature’ section of the boards since… last November was when I started writing it. This topic has the first two chapters: The Folly of the Toa II - Chapter 1 & 2
The whole thing started as a joke run amok for me, so there’s quite a few creative liberties taken that include me utterly ignoring any serials post-reformation and playing fast and loose with the biology of the Toa, but it’s something. I’m looking to have the final chapter posted by the end of the week.

2 Likes

I’ve read like… two of the books, I know all of the 2001-2002 story, and a good grasp on the rest. I do not give a flying fish about taking liberties.

1 Like

Good, 'cause I have read exactly none of the books. :sweat_smile: I just wrote a really long, dark and angsty story about the Toa not really living happily ever after exactly because they’re not needed anymore.

1 Like

As long as Onua doesn’t suck, and it gives me some answers, I am happy.

1 Like

Alright, the question has been answered, we’re done here.

2 Likes