Why didn't Lego do Knights Kingdom III instead of Nexo Knights?

Knights Kingdom II was Legos only story driven castle theme. It ran for three years and had an established plot, characters, and locations. So why hasn’t Lego attempted to make other fantasy story driven castle themes. Was Nexo Knights just a product of Legos current obsession with sci fi mash up themes with jets and mechs? Would you have liked to have seen Knights Kingdom or a theme in a similar style than Nexo Knights?

4 Likes

I personally would have liked to have seen Knights Kingdom III, hands down. Nexo Knights made more money though, because ‘legos current obsession with sci fi mash up themes with jets and mechs’ is less of an obsession and more of ‘the only way to appeal to the generation of Fortnite’. Just look at how Castle did. That was around for what, a year?

This is just my opinion though.

edit: that being said, Nexo Knights brought in some great pieces

6 Likes

Honestly, I don’t really mind it either way. Nexo Knights brought in some neat things, but I’m not really drawn to castle themes outside of Lord of the Rings.

2 Likes

Next time that gets released I will single-handedly fund it’s success by buying so much Lego Castle. I need it for Dungeons and Dragons as well as my obsession with medieval warfare.

6 Likes

xd I tried using lego for DnD but it didn’t work out :stuck_out_tongue: I just do theater of the mind now.

2 Likes

I learned how to do it. A 2x3 platform for the minifigs to stand up, build mixel-sized enemies, and use a battle map for terrain.

4 Likes

It’s not that I can’t physically do it, I just don’t like the way it looks. I might try again though. Also, if you have standard 1-inch squares on your battle map, a 3x3 plate fits perfectly.

2 Likes

Yes, but then the minifigs become off-center, which looks odd.

1 Like

jumper plates

2 Likes

Both of the characters I’ve made out of LEGO pretty much use Star Wars pieces. I gave 4-LOM a chest plate, Bad Robot helmet and LEGO Movie robot head, and then my other uses the Klatoonian Raider head on top of the orange Mandalorian armor from the battle pack.

I use a typical 3x4 baseplate from the Minifigures series. It overlaps the square a bit, but it looks the best.

2 Likes

The only reason they made Nexo Knights was because they thought it was gonna sell better if it was similar to Ninjago, which is one of their most successful themes. And of course, they weren’t entirely right.
As much as I like Nexo Knights for the nice parts and recolors, I can definitely see where the dislike for it comes from. Castle is supposed to be Castle, and LEGO trying to modernize it in order to emulate Ninjago’s success just didn’t feel right.

Castle used to be an ever-green theme, and had a very strong presence during the late 2000’s and early 2010’s. But after the disappointing sales for the lackluster 2013 wave, they gave up on it way to easily, just like they did with Bionicle and other themes.

3 Likes

I really don’t think this is fair to assume. Most original LEGO themes only last about three years in LEGO, for five to six waves (Like how Bionicle G2 was intended). Ninjago is the exception, not the norm, and I’m sure LEGO realizes this.

3 Likes

The real question is why wasn’t it heroica II?

3 Likes

Because Heroica 1 wasn’t that great.

2 Likes

heresy.

pure blaspheme.

3 Likes

Nah, Lego Board Games was a terrible idea. Completely missed the point as to why people buy Lego: to BUILD with them and assembled and disassemble them. Not make a board game you’d reuse. Heroica also only lasted a year lol.

1 Like

Good question, maybe not do it as a board game but use the world and characters. It had so much potential.[quote=“Chronicler, post:16, topic:51788”]
Heroica also only lasted a year lol.
[/quote]

It actually lasted two years.

1 Like

Yes, this would be far better.

I really don’t understand LEGO trying to get into table top gaming markets, like board games, or with the upcoming Ninjago wave utilizing DnD like aspects, or shoot, even the new Lego Mario. It’s a fun gimmick but it’s not gonna give lasting results.

I think Lego needs to abandon the hardcore gimmicks and continue their efforts in neat themes with excellent builds. If they’re gonna use gimmicks, they should do it sparingly. The Hidden Side theme recently uses a gimmick, but it also has some really cool building techniques. Meanwhile, stuff like Lego Mario will require new electronics and expensive molds. (I personally see it being a financial disaster when it finally releases.)

They could easily make their evergreen themes more interactive like Hidden Side. Make cooler builds for less expensive sets, for example. I remember how amazing 2006-2008 Lego Castle was, with it’s high fantasy theme. Lego should return to that in their Lego Castle stuff instead of just doing “uh good clan and bad clan” like they did in Lego Kingdoms.

3 Likes

Castle lasted for three years, what are you talking about?

I kid, of course, but you might want to clarify Castle 2013 - which I assume is what you’re talking about - and not Castle 2007 or Castle 1984.

do you really need me to start posting all the custom Heroica maps I built in 2012?

laughs in Crusaders and Black Falcons

1 Like

LEGO Board Games were great in my opinion. You can build them (or even build your own board games if you wanted to) while also being able to play them with your family or friends.
Love them or hate them, I think we can all agree that they are better than the more technology-based gimmicks such as LEGO Super Mario. The LEGO Board Games you will still be able to play decades after their initial release, but most of the technology-based gimmicks aren’t even playable anymore after the app they are tied to gets retired.

3 Likes