Why Makuta is "similar" to Toa?

I am japanese fan, so we don’t know many information about BIONICLE.
But this question has plagued us for years. please let me answer(if it is still hasn’t be asked)

Why Makuta species “similar” or in common with Toa in some points?
-Able to use Elemental Power(Makutas has be limited into Shadows, through)(we heard that there is few spicies that able to use it)
-Awakening each Av-Matoran’s Light-based unique power by touch(Especially this)

Perhaps Makuta is a “subspecies” of Toa in designing?
Or is this a coincidence or an evolutionary deservation?

1 Like

Well, actually no. Makuta are totally different in terms of how they were created. You see, Toa were created from Matoran (or by Great Beings/Arthakha). And all of the Makuta were created from Antidermis by Mata Nui himself, as helpers. There are many beings in MU that have elemental powers or element-related powers (for example, Skakdi), Makutas are just one of those spiecies.
And the whole “special power while Matorn and Toa/Makuta are connected” probably was created due to the 2008 set’s feature. But, since it is absolutely canon, it is very interesting, why do Makuta and Toa share that “connection” ability.
Also, you can research Makuta and Toa pages on BS01 for more info.

3 Likes

thank you reply, Lesnichy!
we have already researched BS01 for many years, and watched official homepage when that still exist.
So, we know that things:

To be sure, Toa and Makuta are “physically” made differently. However, The Great beings are fundamentally “designing” them with higher “upper” design way.

(All Makuta has created by Mata nui, included Teridax. But GB has “designed” him to be destined to eventually take over the Great Spirit Robot, example)
(Helryx and Orde has never been a Matoran, but Toa)
(and Skakdi’s power is given by the Makuta, not a nature, or Maybe even that is the “design” of Great Being, through…)

We want to know that GBs’ “Invisible Design purpose”.
but thank you!
(I edited this, about Teridax)

2 Likes

It is also worth noting that Makuta are usually quite bigger than Toa, I think with the exception of the 2008 Makuta Phantoka and Mistika, but this is probably because they had to be cannister sets, and even as cannister sets they are quite big if we compare them to a normal Toa like the Toa Metru. Also the Makuta are more powerful than a single Toa, normally needing a whole Toa Team to put up a challenge againt a single Makuta, and even in the story, at some point in the past, lots of Toa (like the Toa Hagah) were protectors of the Makuta before they turned evil. But anyways, the similarities you pointed out are really interesting I have to say.

3 Likes

Thank you AoMN!
you’re right, usualy Makuta is stronger and bigger than Toa.
but We saw that each Toa-canister-set has diffirent size, but almost Toa has same height about in canon.(off course, looks Mahri-Kongu and Mahri-Nuparu is so different even in story, through.)
but if it is so, I think the Adaptive-Armor has made Nuvas more bigger, yeah.
or I Infered, Karda Nui’s Makutas became “smaller” for fighting with Toa more efficiently(maybe this is wrong)

thank you!

1 Like

You know, I am now too interested in answer.
Size of a Makuta is a very unstable thing, since they are shapeshifters. Also, Makuta were not created by GBs, but, as we seen in other dimensions they could have, so maybe they created a scheme for Mata Nui, so he can “build” Makuta when they are needed. Additionaly, Toa were having an improved design, but Makuta were way more inteligent, so they are not at the same level.

I always thought that Makuta are straight-forward counterpart for Mata Nui (Makuta are “nothing”, Mata Nui is “everything”), but, if we look at his Glatorian form, Mata Nui is pretty similar to Toa, so Makuta are also counterparts for Toa. There are also many similarities and differences for Toa and Makuta:

_________Toa___________________________Makuta
____elemental powers_________________Rahkshi powers
__selfless, noble and so on_________arrogant, proud and so on
________Avohkii________________________Kraahkan
_____normal Kanohi___________________immoral Kanohi
_____Unite into Kaita __________________dissolute Kaita
Av-Matoran power activaion_______Shadow Matoran power activation
______Protodermis _____________________Antidermis
and so on and so on. This is all an interesting concept - Makuta are counterparts for both Toa and Mata Nui (and also for Artakha, by the way).

2 Likes

Thank you again, Lesnichiy!

You understood what I want to say: They are too “Similar”, and “Contrast”.
I’m so glad!:joy:

2 Likes