Writing Advice

No…he just got in a Christmas mood :smile:

1 Like

When You pose a mystery or a question, be sure you know the answer before you continue the story. I need to follow this bit myself more often.

When you want your characters to make a decision, like the name of a team, try to avoid making the decision yourself before you write the scene. This way, you can have the characters have a realistic discussion to make the decision. Unless you want the characters to arrive at a particular decision.

I never give my characters last names unless I need to.

Try writing down what each character knows and doesn’t know to avoid a character knowing something they shouldn’t know. Remember: you, the author, are all the characters at once, but none of them are you (unless you’re in your own story and it’s a true story).

Making a list of events will help you avoid plot holes.

4 Likes

If you are going to write a prequel, pretend like you don’t know what is going to happen in the future because your characters won’t know what will happen in the future book

I hope no one in the history of the world forgot that rule.

When I write creatively, I do so in a very unconditioned manner. I just put words down as they flow out and modify after I’m done.

When I’m not writing creatively, I just write how I think.

So, quite frankly, I’m of no help to anyone in that regard.

5 Likes

That’s how most of my writing is :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am like this as well. This is how my prequel book is being written

I have a soul-mate!

Currently in the middle of writing a full-scale novel for my class.
Already planned on killing my major character’s best friend and lover whilst the latter sings “You Are My Sunshine” in the middle of bleeding out in an attempt to keep the other from crying. And they are both girls.

I love doing this kind of stuff. It soothes my heart to see other people be wrecked by THE FEELS.

Your teacher does not happen to be Skeletor, does it?

What would happen if I said yes?

Then

I am starting to write a Story name “Whadstar”
I am mainly going for a Mystical Western with traces of Steampunk
but I am right now writing down concepts

Time to revive a dead topic.

I’ve been recently trying to write romantic scenes for a comic. Most romance in comics is either the female is just some reward, or it’s kind of forced. Stan Lee, I feel, had the best way of doing relationships: both sides have to have strong characteristics and have reasons to get together.

As for a comic series I’m making, I am writing a woman slowly falling in love with a man in autism, as she starts to slowly teach him to get more adjusted to society. He’s more open and careful with how he feels toward her, and she starts to feel similar ways toward him.

The dynamic can’t be one sided if you’re going for romance. Someone can have a crush on someone, but to actually keep romance involved, it has to show both being interested, and show why they like each other. You also have to find a realistic reason for these people to admire each other. Forced romance is the worst kind in a story, and it feels very common in comic books.

4 Likes

The most important thing in my book (pun intended) would be to create characters people care about. If your readers aren’t invested in your characters, it won’t matter how good your story is, because they just won’t care about what happens, and if they aren’t invested in your characters, they won’t be compelled to keep reading.

1. Make sure your characters are proactive, not passive
  2. They should have a strong and reasonable motivation, as well as have an obstacle they need to overcome to achieve their goal(s)
  3. They should be human; that is to say, they should have some humanity

Dialogue is not an excuse to dump exposition. Exposition can be worked into dialogue effectively, but many struggle to execute this. Write your dialogue, then ask yourself: why is this character saying this? for every line, the character should be trying to achieve something. Nobody says anything unless they’re trying to accomplish something. It is very easy to tell when a dialogue line isn’t the character trying to accomplish something, it is the writer conveying information through this persona. To work-in exposition, ensure that the character’s intentions parallel the exposition you, as the writer, are conveying.

4 Likes

Pinned! Cause I like it, and this is a useful thing to have not floating around!

Also, because if it already exists, I don’t have to make it!

~Hawkeye

5 Likes

So I’m working on a webcomic along the same vien as homestuck, going so far as to be hosted on mspaint fan adventures, a website made for homestuck fan comics. The reason I bring this up is because I’m working on one based around the Toa Nuva, and need some advice on technology. I need to BS away to have computers and internet available to the Toa, but want it to be as lore friendly as possible. Any tips? Specifically on how they would be made and how they would work.

BioSector01 is a good place if you wanna read up on the lore.

If it’s gonna be a comedy, be careful on making things lore-friendly. If not, then lore is your friend. I will say BIONICLE’s lore is very restrictive at times, so you need to find some creative ways to make stories and situations.

You could make it like Digimon, where it’s the island, but with computer tech built into nature. The the Toa tap into their elements or mask powers by tapping into the network of the island.