Yellowryx (Canon Contest #1: The First) UPDATED: Parts and Instructions

This is just beautiful. It looks ancient and frail, yet fierce and distinguished. I really hope You win!

2 Likes

Thanks! Unfortunately, itā€™s already out of the contest

3 Likes

Thatā€™s Helryx. I think this entry was inadvertently snubbed by TTV using the yellow background version. Itā€™s got the perfect frailness in body and armor, and itā€™s ACTUALLY got armor. Also, the armor looks alien to anything Takanuva or we have seen.

2 Likes

Thanks! My fault, thatā€™s the picture I had as my main. I hadnā€™t realized it looked that bad and that it made that big a difference. By the time it was pointed out to me that the background might have been hindering it, I could still change it in the topic, but it was too late to change it in the polls. Oh well.

1 Like

Oh noā€¦ that is a shame. I super wish to the stars that theyā€™d reset the contest and have you win LOL.

1 Like

The story of my life! In all fairness, I feel like Hoseryx had a lot of traction and fervent support. Even if in some alternate reality my MOC did manage to make it to the finals because the background colour was different, in the end it might not have made a difference.

Sure it would. Most people are under the assumption, even TTV themselves, that Greg will reject Hoseryx in the end and thus the next most voted on entry wins. Also, btw, could you make some kind of a building instruction video? Iā€™d love to see that! And a parts list!

1 Like

Iā€™m more in the camp that he wonā€™t reject something the fans voted as their #1 choice in their own contest, but who knows?

I could definitely put some sort of instructions and a part list together when I have a chance. Might post it as a topic here.

2 Likes

Hope you do!

1 Like

My favorite MOC from this contest. Great work!

2 Likes

Thanks! :grin:

Iā€™ve had to take some time to gather my thoughts about this MOC in light of the contest, but ultimately I must say itā€™s one of, if not my favorite of the contenders. Originally, it only grabbed my attention slightly, but the more I saw it, the more it grew on me and appealed as a worthy design for the character.

There is a great level of balance in details, which seemed quite difficult to convey with the clash of concepts for Helryx. This model shows a stable build with consistent colors as well as an authoritative aesthetic and fitting weapons. As shown in your pictures, the model stands up surprisingly well among other figures. I can totally see this model as a representation of Helryx both in her prime and in the present after a long war-battered history.

Whereas some models are too flushed out with greebling (or the opposite with too solid of a build), this one manages to slip beneath that limit for me, sans a few details that do seem a tad too much, but not in the grand scheme of things.

The mask fits great, and overall the usage the new and old across many generations of LEGO parts really stands out. From slizer heads and technic gears to mata heads and CCBS joints, they stand out upon further inspection, but really they do a great job coexisting.

My one nitpick would be that the waist area is a bit too decorated in comparison to the rest, especially with the super thin abdomen. However, given the tribal skirt idea and the cohesion with the upper torso, I can imagine without it the model wouldnā€™t look as complete.

Great job! Itā€™s too bad this didnā€™t go further in the competition, but I hope this feedback is worthwhile.

~Oonie

4 Likes

Thanks Oonie, I really appreciate the well-articulated and in-depth analysis! As you allude to, I feel like designing Helryx really was a balancing act, and Iā€™m glad you feel it fits the bill.

The thin waist is one of the main criticisms Iā€™ve received, but I found that it was a good way to cover both frailness (in the sense of being thin) and her being a prototype for the Toa Mata. If I can find a clean way to do it, I might modify the abdomen to include pistons, which could help balance out the detailing and proportions a bit.

In addition to trying my best to fit the descriptors / cues from Canon and representing how I see the character emotionally, I really just wanted to make a figure I think is cool based on my own tastes, hence certain design choices that might be a bit exaggerated. Even though I didnā€™t make it past the second round, I feel like I succeeded at that, at least. Of course, I too wish it had gone further :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Aaa, fiddlesticks. :frowning:

1 Like

Hey I know that this didnā€™t win but could you make a how to build Iā€™m struggling to recreate this

2 Likes

Absolutely! I plan to that and a part list as LukasExamplar already suggested, probably within the next couple weeks. Is there a specific part of the MOC youā€™re stuck on?

1 Like

@Oonie I think the torso fits a bit, as the character is described as ā€œdisturbingly frailā€. But whether this would apply to that, I am not sure. Maybe not. Greg did say that the frailness is because of what sheā€™s been through, and he probably did talk more about armor than actual body physique. Or maybe both.

@NotTheHerald Just to clarify: Helryx was not a prototype for the Mata. She was the first Toa, and preliminary to them, but she was never meant to be a prototype for their builds. Thatā€™s whatā€™s Gregā€™s said anyway. He has said that she would not look like a Mata in much of any way, but he also said that she may have some few things in common. How to interpret that, I donā€™t know? Maybe that sheā€™s slim and 7 feet tall, like the other Toa that came after her.

2 Likes

Fair enough, maybe prototypeā€™s the wrong word. But I would think thereā€™d be some similarities in their designs considering they were the next ones built after her, so I tried to integrate some of their design elements.

1 Like

I canā€™t figure out the waist

1 Like

Hope this helps. I just downloaded Stud.io, so Iā€™ll put the model up once I get it built.

1 Like