you find a genie- what are you wishing for?

asked some friends this, and it made for an interesting conversation

so let’s say you find a genie, you get three wishes, (disney’s alladin rules apply)- what are you wishing for?

5 Likes

Would it be legal to wish for more genies so that they would each give me three wishes??

But I’d honestly wish for unlimited money for my education.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t it make more sense to just wish for unlimited knowledge?

8 Likes

also

the reason you’d want education is to get a good job

the reason you’d want a good job is so you can get paid well

why would you care about getting paid well if you have infinite money?

8 Likes

Ok so I’m going to iron out a technicality here - the rule is “no making someone fall in love with someone else.” There’s also no rule against creating living human beings. So, theoretically, wouldn’t it be possible to wish for a human being to be created that, by nature, was in love with you? It’s not making them fall in love with you because the human didn’t exist before loving you, and as mentioned before, there’s no rule about creating humans. All of this to say… wouldn’t you technically be able to wish for the perfect girlfriend?

To be honest, though, wish 1 would be for a complete G1 and G2 Bionicle collection, wish 2 would be drawing skills, and wish 3 would be to play the piano better.

4 Likes

Well, I’d prefer to learn at a natural pace. I’m sure something bad would happen were I granted unlimited knowledge…

3 Likes

Solid point, unlimited knowledge does not necessarily come with unlimited wisdom. Good to take it with experience

Son the reason I want an education is so I can have the cognitive equipment to figure how to exist without a job

6 Likes

I wish genies never existed.

7 Likes

Are you positive you didn’t wish that already?

5 Likes

“…I shall not want.” I would not wish for anything and walk away.

4 Likes

Knowing how scummy genies are in literally all of fiction, they might interpret this as “I shall not experience desire for anything for the rest of my life” and make your existence absolutely miserable.

If you don’t want a genie to grant you any wishes, I think the safest option is to just silently walk away

7 Likes

A great wish: that Earth could spend one decade with all currencies being based on the gold standard.

3 Likes

Oh, I wouldn’t actually say anything to the genie, I was quoting my reason.

4 Likes

If there are three wishes, the first wish would be for the following 2 wishes to be unobstructed by sneaky genie shenanigans.
Definitely need to be smart with the wording though

5 Likes

Well time paradox incoming I guess.

3 Likes

I don’t have a solid answer for this because I’ll be honest, I don’t desire much.

Whatever I can do to make the world a better place, I suppose.

But, for anyone else looking to make some interesting wishes and who doesn’t want to get monkeys-pawed:

Just add the clause “in the exactly the way I hope for and expect” to the end of all of your wishes.

Also, I respect the distinction that we’re going with Disney’s Aladdin rules. For anyone who doesn’t know, in the original Aladdin story, the genie of the lamp had no such limit. There was also a genie of the ring that could grant lesser wishes.

10 Likes

the ability to grant any given refrigerator sapience and the ability to move whenever I choose

instant knowledge of every phone number associated with the locations or the denizens occupying said location where the refrigerator is located without negating my capability to call any of those numbers and communicate verbally and/or visually with them

the ability to project trollface.png into the mind of whomever I am speaking with at will

8 Likes

ghid is your refrigerator running?

You had better go catch it

4 Likes

I’ve been running for three days my legs are so tired

4 Likes