You Know You're an Engineering Student and Lego Fan When

… you use Legos to make holders, stands, and other things for all the random objects scattered on your desk.

Exhibit A: Phone Holder/Charger

Basically, I couldn’t put my phone down anywhere where I could reach it from my bed. This is a problem, since I use my phone as an alarm clock as well and I don’t want to get out of bed to turn it off. It also needs to charge overnight. To solve this problem, I rigged up this little contraption, which is held on the bedpost by rubber bands and also allows my phone to charge.

Exhibit B: The Mutant Otamatone

My Otamatone looked a little wobbly (yes, I know I’m insane for owning one in the first place) so I figured I’d make him a little stand. Then I added legs to it. And then it became the fearsome Mutant Otamatone. Joking aside, this is the first time I’ve found a decent use for the large satellite disks from the Star Wars tank droid set.

Next up, I’m probably going to make a hanger for my headphones.

So, have any of you guys found Legos to be particularly useful in solving everyday annoyances?

14 Likes

You’re an engineering student too??
#engineeringftw
I suppose being a LEGO fan would tend to predispose you to liking engineering; though.

2 Likes

I have found my people.

1 Like

…When you find a bunch of Lego pieces you lost earlier and find them while cleaning your room, and when you find them, you stack them upon each other and make a weird creation.

2 Likes

me too!
I’m in college, my major is engineering.
You know you’re a lego Fan when…
…You are told to make a representation of a scene from Beowulf… so you make a stop-motion out of Legos. (I’ll upload it later).
…You hear your Art history teacher say a building looks to be made out of a child’s building blocks, and immediately want to make it out of Legos.

1 Like

I’m an engineering student too!

In my case it’s specifically robotics, but I do the same kind of thing shown in the OP.

1 Like

@Chronicler

Been there. And then I fiddle with the creation and rework it when I’m bored. Or when I’m watching Netflix.

nice.

clever,

now make a mindstorms robot that sorts parts by colour.
you know, so we don’t have to do it by hand.

1 Like

how about one that makes sets?

that takes all the fun out of lego…

then…lego machine that GIVES you lego pieces when you need them?

1 Like

or finds that one part you really need but can’t find,
and gives it to you.

5 Likes

Now that would be useful.

I’ve always wanted to build things like this, but my parts have always been otherwise occupied (read: being used in other MOCs). And I’m lazy enough to just leave my phone on my desk instead. :slight_smile:
But… what the heck is an Otomatone? :confused: Yes, I know how to use Google

A japanese “instrument”. I put instrument in quotations because it’s more of a toy, which can make music occasionally if you know how to play it.

Someone who knows how to play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYnaYRt848&list=UU0geI039NVkkBjzSfSheJRA

1 Like