Your ideas for a new constraction theme

So, in general, what would you like to see in a brand new Constraction theme in a possible future? :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Bionicle

6 Likes

a knights kingdom style theme would be nice

5 Likes

Collectable elements like masks, krana, kraata and kanoka were a homerun. Squids, zamors, quaza cores etc were a bit dull.

6 Likes

In the most general sense, I would want to see creative use of the CCBS system. The Invasion From Below line of Hero Factory did this really well, creating 3D frames and other structures out of the standard bone pieces.

Those were never meant to be collectible in the same way as Kanohi; each Core had a code on the back that could be used online in some sort of game.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of why I found them uninteresting. Same with the rhotuka spinners. Online codes are fine enough for what they are, I just personally preferred the material collectability.

A unique collectable object is to an online code the same way a pirate’s treasure chest is to a direct deposit paycheck. Both are valuable, but the former feels special, know what I mean? I’ll never look back fondly on the memory of receiving my paycheck for the first week of October 2016, but if I found a box of gold jewelry in my backyard, you bet that’ll stick with me. There’s a lasting nostalgia that exceeds the material value of, or even ownership of, the thing in question. It’s why a white Miru Nuva costs so much more than a Barraki squid

6 Likes

Yeah, I would like to see that too, but since 2017, CCBS is probably out of the question.
My question was more about what you would like to see in a new constraction line within the current options and possibilities.

Yeah, it would be genuinely refreshing to see something like that!

4 Likes

NOT Bionicle.

6 Likes

Strangely enough, I can somewhat agree with this. (To a degree, at least.)
My stance on the matter is that I may like to see Bonkle return, but I currently began to lean towards more and more for a spiritual successor.
As much as I would like to see an actual G3, I have realized that what many people have been saying is true, that the TLG of today can’t bring back Bionicle in the way we would expect.
They’re a different company than they used to be in the early to late 2000s, and so is the world and market of today.

Maybe, they’ll try again to do something with the IP in the future, as most things do exist within a cycle.
But I think they should do what they did with Hero Factory before G2:
A brand new line or theme that serves as a test for the waters before they try it again.

As for what I would like to see from a new theme like this:
-A line that tells a similar story to G1, but with a twist.
The setting would be a mysterious world with many different environments.
The story could be similar to Ralph Bakshi’s 1977 animated film, Wizards. (Except, it obviously wouldn’t be as dark and mature as that movie was.)
Namely, instead of the typical Nature vs. Technology, it could be about Magic vs. Technology. The good guys are for magic, while the other side is for technology.
The characters could still be robots or cyborgs who once lived in a culture, but one day, a group of them somehow discovered a McGuffin that showed them the power of magic, and soon after, a civil war broke out between them.
IDK, but something like this would be interesting IMO. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Here is my idea for new Constraction theme that isn’t Bionicle:

• A Kaiju vs Mecha theme

I think the Invasion from Below wave had a very cool concept that could have easily been expanded upon. Such a theme could use standard Minifigures as the pilots of Constraction mechs, thus bridging the gap between traditional LEGO and Constraction a bit more.
The mechs from this hypothetical theme would ideally look something like this:

A 50/50 mix between system and Constraction, that would satisfy the needs of Constraction/Bionicle MOCists, but at the same time appeal to casual LEGO fans who are interested more in the bricks and Minifigures.

Though the blend would probably work the best for the Mechs, I think the mix could work pretty well for the Kaiju beasts as well. They could have brick-built bodies, CCBS limbs, and perhaps a few specialized molds for the heads organic parts. This is what they would ideally look like:

As for the story, it could be a blend between Exo-Force and Pacific Rim, told through an anime-style TV series.

This is my idea. If anyone would like to expand upon it, you are welcome to post any of your own ideas.
As much as I love Bionicle, I personally believe Constraction has far more potential than being limited just to Bionicle. Instead of theorizing about new Bionicle reboots (which let’s face it, we as a community tend to do all the time) I think we should think about other potential ways Constraction could be used instead of it being limited just to Bionicle.

9 Likes

u…u are a genius

4 Likes

i’d prefer a glatorian-like series where robots alter themselves for battle, but with a more futuristic theme. expect me to make mocs of this series soon.

3 Likes

I’d love more sets like 2022’s Zurg. Maybe a theme with figures like him alongside some brick built creatures. Scenery/vehicles/architecture could be added into sets too to break the monotony of big robot action figures. System allows this, and is probably the only option going forward now that CCBS is dead.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’d be great to see! :smiley:
Although I don’t have this figure, (I was very keen to get it, but it was too expensive.)
I looked up his instructions on brickset, and my first thought was:
" Now this is what a new line of Constraction figures should look like!"

As for the argument that System would be the only way to go, I agree with you for the most part, but I could see another way of doing it.
While it arguably would be the ideal direction for a new action figure line for all the reasons You’ve listed, I’m afraid it would easily get lost among the many other Mechsuit/regular robot sets that Lego’s been pushing out in recent years.

Just like in G1’s case, there has to be something that can differentiate the hypothetical line’s sets from the rest of TLG’s products.
And for that reason, I would like a return to Technic-based constraction, but with a twist.

Namely: implementing Mixel ball & socket joints into Technic.
There is this vector drawing I made a few days ago for my fan project,
I’m showing this here to get my point across a bit more easily.

Although this is not the final version of this part, I think it illustrates well what I have in mind regarding the return to Technic format.
I think it could provide a good base for a similar system as CCBS, but the armor pieces would be like regular system brackets with half-beam-sized top parts, while the side panels would have standard studs with holes on them, which would attach onto the “Bone” piece with knob half pins.

6 Likes

genius!

4 Likes