Zaria: Toa of Iron

An outcast, conflicted because of his past violations of the Toa code yet incredibly driven, Zaria has been assigned to search for the Great Beings alongside Chiara, Gelu, and Orde. With his sword, shoulder-attached missiles, and Mask of Adaptation, this Toa of Iron is ready to take on any challenge.

This year I decided to redo three certain Toa. Orde has already been shown on the boards but I have not shown Zaria, despite making him back when #metrumarch was a thing, but I digress. Credit goes to KhingK for 3D modeling the Mask of Adaptation, socketball for making a gunmetal cast out of it, and the shins happen to be a slight modification of a design made by glatorianiax. I hope you all enjoy these pictures of this moc. Links are down below.

Two down, one to go.

Links: Flickr 1 (shot from a new lens), flickr 2 (used an old and less refined 3D print in this shot), stop motion test, KhingK’s 3D model of the Mask of Adaptation on Shapeways and Thingiverse.

71 Likes

Those are great masks, and you matched the aesthetic nicely! Amazing MOCs here!

1 Like

This is awesome!
I love the torso.

1 Like

@PakariNation99 Thank you! I’m glad that 3D modeling custom parts is now a thing in the community. I don’t know what I’d do without it.
@meepinater Thanks! I tried my best to balance the colors. Making a Toa of Iron wasn’t as easy as I wanted it to be, but I think it turned out just fine in the end.

2 Likes

I saw this on Flickr. You did a good job of making a Metru torso and simple limbs look really cool.

2 Likes

Oh I saw this on reddit, I really love the color sceme. And these photos are very good

2 Likes

@Wolf_Pack Glad to hear that people on the boards are aware of Flickr. I’ve been meaning to do more stuff with the Zaria, in particular the missiles attached to his shoulders.
@Sokoda I never realized how good gunmetal and dark orange would look until I made the moc. To be fair Pewku had a good mixture of dark gray and dark orange so I don’t know why that slipped my mind. Anyways, I’m really glad that you like the photos so thank you. Hopefully this helps inspire others to make Fe-Matoran and Fe-Toa of their own.

2 Likes

This looks like it could have been an official set!

1 Like

@SonicBionicleMaster Thank you! I’m very glad to hear that it looks like an official set and I think the mask helps quite a bit. Imagine if there was a commercial featuring Zaria, Orde, and others fighting Bota Magnan Vorox, Velika’s agents, Marendar, etc. Would’ve been nice if a Toa of Iron supersoldier like Zaria was released but oh well.
Hopefully I can and will keep making more custom figures as time goes by, especially since I wan to expand from Toa and move onto other species. Perhaps a certain Vorox with dark tan parts and a custom helmet could be next? :thinking:

2 Likes

Top tier photography! The mask, shoulders and color scheme all work well! Love the use of the Lord Vladek sword!

I’m a huge sucker for Metru-Builds (ask @Political_Slime and @Calvatron). Will you be at Brickfair Virginia next year?

My only main complaint would be the colour blocking. The dark orange is distributed a bit half-hazardly around the MOC. It might look better if you try grouping it more consistently.

Here are some examples of some of my old Metru MOCs (apolagies for the terrible background). I’ve since replaced all the dark grey on Ahkmou with light brown. Notice how the secondary color (silver/orange) is placed so as to roughly approximate armor that is going over-top of the primary color.

3 Likes

Very late comment, but…

Will this be entered in the new Canonization Contests?

Because this is awesome. Orde too.

2 Likes

Thank you! I do plan to enter them. Hopefully I can get some touch ups done by then.

Here’s some more pictures of the Toa!

5 Likes

Man, I so want this to be Zaria’s canon appearance!:+1:

(Also, interesting username change.:+1:)

2 Likes

Thank you! We’ll see how far it goes but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Hopefully whatever moc that wins happens to use the same mask power and puts both gunmetal and dark orange to good use, per the description

1 Like