BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Wait, the LEGO employees are allowed to give that information? Is that really going to be a thing? Interesting.

[quote=“lambda_cla3391, post:19117, topic:15529”]
I should have been more clear about that. No, this was mentioned here on the boards, not by the employee :slight_smile:
[/quote] Ohhhhh I’m a dork.

[quote=“lambda_cla3391, post:19114, topic:15529”]
I’m still skeptical about Bionicle continuing past 2017 though. I personally don’t think it will. But, you never know.
[/quote] Hey, if TJtO takes off, it certainly could! Also, I agree with you about the rib cage piece. They even use it on the beasts, and those aren’t even decaying/dying. Plz LEGO, stahp it.

1 Like

I should have been more clear about that. No, this was mentioned here on the boards, not by the employee :slight_smile:

1 Like

Last I checked, I’m not a LEGO employee, so I’m pretty sure that’s not gonna happen. The full “theory” was that Umarak conquers Okoto and makuta mutates a few villagers to defeat him and take the island for himself, leaving the toa shunned by the other villagers due to their defeat

1 Like

No, they’re legit toa, but controlled by Makuta. The beasts are Umarak’s underlings, and these new toa are Makuta’s.

Okay. First. We will definitely get a large Makuta set so either way that will be a selling point just like if we would get a Takanuva set. And second the 2016 toa uniters will be still on shelves in 2017 just as we can still find the 2015 toa on them. So kids will be still able to buy them.

1 Like

I just saying man, it’d be a shame not to have one final iteration of the Toa that balances both the design implementations put into the Toa Uniters and the Toa Masters. That happy medium needs to happen, and I’d love for it to be the original Toa that make that happen. A last hurrah of sorts where they complete what they started design wise.

Edit: Also, I currently have all the Toa in their Uniter forms.
http://i.imgur.com/CliDSqE.jpg
They look pretty sweet like that, I must say.

5 Likes

(Except Pohatu because his Unity Mode sucks.) :wink: At least, if you don’t lock Ketar’s function. I have yet to try that out, still looking for the right piece in my parts bin. ._. Also, now that I have Ketar, I kinda like him a weee bit more than I did before. I just need to lock his stupid function to actually have fun posing him.

Other than that, though, yeah. The other Unity Modes are freakin’ amazing.

2 Likes

So far the reboot mostly concentrated on the toa when it comes to the events that also happened to the Gen 1 toa team. They arrived, they won, they got upgraded. I doubt Lego would stop that pattern for another toa upgrade that only takes most of the budget and imo completely unnecessary. Bionicle gen 1 only one time had a 2th upgrade for a toa team but it wasn’t the best. They followed the 1 upgrade for every toa team pattern ( except hordika but that was different ) and that is another good thing that separates Bionicle from hero factory.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you realize this but, the G1 marketing strategy is done. It’s gone. They obviously changed to what Hero Factory does because it works better marketing wise. Otherwise they wouldn’t have done that. The fact that they kept doing it all throughout HF’s run, and the fact that they do the same thing with Ninjago and probably will with Nexo Knights just goes to show that they believe firmly in keeping a main team of heroes and re-introducing them each year.

Not many complain when we get new versions of a character in other action figure lines. It’s the same principle: update the current cast of characters without changing them out for totally different people so that no one ends up being alienated, and so that those characters can continually be improved on.

A lot of people leave after you change to a different cast. I remember some of my friends losing interest in BIONCLE whenever the Metru were introduced. It’s kind of like how people like the first 151 Pokemon but don’t like any of the later ones. When you invest in something that you personally like, you don’t want to see it get replaced. Improvements on the other hand are usually widely accepted.

It’s highly likely that BIONICLE G2 will follow this trend (at least up to the end of next year), if 2016 isn’t enough of an indicator for you.

4 Likes

Bionicle was always different man. Even if it’s a reboot they don’t have to follow every marketing move of hero factory because then it was no point brining back Bionicle if it’s only copying hf in every way. I’m sure there won’t be another toa upgrade! They don’t have to follow the hf pattern.

Btw I’m talking about the current toa team upgrade, not a new toa team.

Yes they don’t have to follow the hf pattern, but they sure don’t have to follow the G1 pattern as well. If the past years have proven anything is that the same team with a few upgrades and new characters while keeping the old ones around is really succesful. Anyway upgrades or not I think it’s more speculation for 2017 than 2016 talk so…
Em…do you think the corrupted masks will become corrupted by being stolen or by biting the toa or something, therefore taking control of them.

1 Like

Yeah well only time will tell. :slight_smile:

I think the masks were stolen or the Beast took them from the toa like the Skullies did.

I agree. I really don’t want another upgrade ;~;

3 Likes

I’m all for new forms of the Toa Uniters, just so long as they’re temporary transformations like how HF had Savage Planet, with just a temporary armour upgrade. Especially with Ekimu Ex Machina here if the Toa get upgraded we can just say “Ekimu did it”. I just hope the Toa Uniters stay the main form. Plus, if they introduce new side characters, they can become main characters with the Toa taking a backseat. I’d love another situation where the Toa are in peril and a group of old characters upgraded have to save them. Think how Ninjago recently had a team up of side characters to save the Ninja.

5 Likes

Gali doesn’t look that bad there

2 Likes

If we are still talking about new forms for the Toa, I think it would be nice if in 2017 each set is an Exo-Toa-like set instead of the Toa upgraded again. I think that would be nice for both people who want a new Toa design and people who don’t want another Toa upgrade.

1 Like

Because people were all for the last mech wave we got in constraction… (IFB cough)

People are okay with a machine as long as we also get standard sized humanoid figures to use them with. A wave just made up of mechs probably won’t do so well because mechs aren’t living beings and thus aren’t as widely sought after.

Also, a mech that would hold the Toa would at the very least cost you $30, and if that were case we’d only get one Exo-Toa suit to use, rather than having a wide range of personalized suits that work with each Toa and their element. To me, that would be a major disappointment. (Not to mention the Exo-Toa concept doesn’t really make sense here…)

Personally, I want to get the Toa again in 2017. Looking at the summer wave for 2016, it already looks like it’s gonna be a hard-fought battle for the Toa and story-wise their armor might be damaged and dinged up, plus I kinda wanna see what the Toa would look like in their “Final Form” to confront Makuta. I still love the United forms, but the Uniters still aren’t perfect, and I feel like one last go would give Lego the chance they need to give us even better Toa. I mean it is gonna be the final battle of this Trilogy, so realistically, they would get the best equipment they can get their hands on, story-wise.

Plus then we’ll have 6 of each Toa from combining G1 and G2 so they can each have their own team of themselves. :wink:

I wouldn’t really mind 2017 being all villains, though. But it might be a little confusing since the 2016 Toa would still have the MoCo on their boxes and the 2017 sets will undoubtedly have the MoUP. It’d kinda mess up the continuity of each year’s own story arc and the sets that go with it, at least in my opinion. Like, having 2016 sets in the 2017 story would just feel… weird to me. It didn’t bug me in G1, because that was 1 continual story, but with G2, so far each year is it’s own story arc, 2015 is the MoCr, 2016 is the MoCo, and finally 2017 would be the MoUP.

8 Likes

Yeah, sorry, it was an idea that just came to mind. Now that I actually look back on it, I would rather have something closer to maybe some different Toa for the next year. Not that I would hate another Toa upgrade, but I think it would be a bit unnecessary since the Toa seem to be at their pinnacle right now.

This is Lego we are talking about.
“It would confuse young kids”

@Toa_Maleko with HF they added characters, they didn’t create a whole new team.

Which was sacked because it got too complicated

To a lot of people the continuous ■■■■■ in characters became annoying as it bogged down the story with pointless sideplots and needless story arcs.

And you asked what’s stopping Lego? How about their whole idea if a simpler story.

Still wouldn’t work, where would a Toa of iron live, or a Toa of Sonics, or even magnetism. 6 zones, 6 Toa. And how could they include them in the story given the Toa’s background shows they come from planets not Okoto. And the prophecy only says 6 heroes. This means 6 Toa, or 6 Toa at a time