BIONICLE 2017 Speculation Topic

We kinda got that with the waist function…which is also a gear/butt mechanism.

I would rather have figures that are interesting to build and actually do something other than just stand there and look pretty than figures that are flat, hollow and lightweight. Functionality makes things so much more interesting, and I really don’t want to revert away from that.

10 Likes

hey @TeslaEffect. wanna know a twist that is better than having the MoUP be evil and the true antagonist of the story?

by revelaing that Ekimu did think little of his brother and that he was pridefull of his own works and thus belived himself to be not only better than Makuta but also that he was right and that Makuta was wrong.

think of it like this, when Ekimu smashed the MoUP from Makuta’s face, he was the one who caused the disaster that damadge Okoto. But he just ingores that blame and just shoves it all on Makuta because he created a mask that he could not “control”…

but what if Makuta was right? what if one could control more than one element? what if when he said: I will control… EVERYTHING! He was in actuality speaking towards the MoUP, which he had lost control over.

But at the moment when Makuta might have been able to regain control over the mask, Ekimu comes rushing in and smashes his hammer into Makuta’s head (who as you all must remember, just stod still)

and the most important part, as Ekimu said about the visions from the Vahi, one must be wise enough to understand them. How do we know if Ekimu is wise enough to understand them. Ekimu might have read the visions differently, for example beliving Makuta to be the one responsible for Okoto’s destruction, when in fact it was Ekimu who is to blame, and had Ekimu belived and trusted his brother more, the island would still be a paradise and his brother would not have become corrupted.

4 Likes

Sure, I also support this Ekimu is flawed thing as well.

1 Like

Whenua? That explains many things.

Btw, what if we are getting two story arcs next year like 2003?

Winter Wave :

• Toa
  • 10$ villains looking for the MoT
  • MoT guardian (packaged with the mask obviously)

Summer Wave :

• 3 questionable sets
  • Ekimu 3.0
  • Makuta with the MoUP
7 Likes

It its the last year of this generation, then this is probably the best way to cram in as much plot development as they can.

Also 3 questionable sets…lewl…imo its a bit sad that we only had 3 villain sets that actually looked complete in the thematic they were made in…but as always, comparing it with the previous generation in the present area of complete looking characters in hteir thematics, its about the same amount, all be it now we dont have a lot of clone sets anymore which is always a plus when you are going for uniqueness.

1 Like

Probably. But the Mask of Time hasn’t been put in the spotlight as much (only really appearing in the graphic novel and books) and even then there hasn’t really been much of a “need” for it other than occasionally looking into the future. I would bet that the story would focus solely on the search for Makuta’s body and the MoUP

And now I’ll make it bigger then it (most likely) is.

Makuta knows that MoT is the key for the Toa to know the truth of their past and to get back home and he wants to shatter it, then reclaiming the MoUP and reign on everything. A bit like… Makuta in Mask of Light trying to seal the Matoran in his caves forever. (Very metaphorically)

1 Like

No, but it was obviously behind the spotlight of the thing that is in the spotlight, but slowly gaining relevance.

2 Likes

And I’m really afraid of what the design of the MoUP will be. Not only I don’t like much the shape (the silhouette shows it with 6 edges/spikes/whatever) but if it’s going to have the tips with all the elements we can just call it the MoR, Mask of Rainbow.

Even then, though, Ekimu cried at the thought of hurting his brother to stop him from destroying stuff.

2 Likes

No its, its Kanohi Skittles![quote=“Chronicler, post:908, topic:19964, full:true”]
Even then, though, Ekimu cried at the thought of hurting his brother to stop him from destroying stuff.
[/quote]

Well yeah, isnt that awesome, they are grey characters, something we rarely see in kid related media.

it still works, because one can just say that Ekimu is just too pridefull to realise his own mistakes, he just can’t imagine himself doing something wrong.

you know, like with some other people or fictional Characters who thinks that its just impossible for them to make mistakes, and thus its other people’s fault if something whent wrong.

1 Like

But what if he cared for his brother? That’s how I imagine him trying to deal with his brother. He feels Makuta went off the deep end. That’s pretty much how I interpret that scene anyways.

It is true, though, that Ekimu was pretty prideful and can come off as a jerk.

1 Like

that is what would make this better, he did care for Makuta, but he looked down on him.

there are siblings out there who still care for their brother/sister, and yet look down on them,

1 Like

Lol, all this theorizing about Ekimu being flawed/evil is reminding me of the recent Marvel comic that made Captain America a secret Hydra Agent. Is it so inconceivable that fictional stories can have characters that are all/mostly good and all/mostly evil? Not everyone has to be gray.

I’m not saying Ekimu’s perfect–no one is. I’m sure he’s made mistakes. But I doubt LEGO is going to suddenly make G2’s stereotypical “wise elder character” a tormented, possibly evil person. They still seem to be operating on the basic “good vs. evil” platform, and I’m okay with that. Sometimes you just need a simple, black and white story…

3 Likes

im not saying that Ekimu is evil, just blind to his own flaws and thus needs to realise his own mistakes.

1 Like

Oh, I’m not talking about any specific idea, just the general trend that seems to be pervading fandoms nowadays. I like the idea of Ekimu having a flaw, but I think too many people nowadays have become convinced that only morally gray characters can work in stories. Everyone has to be torn between good and bad, when in reality there are people who have a solid sense of themselves and commit to being either wholly good or wholly “bad” (I put quotes around bad because most people see their actions as good).

I think the popularity of Game of Thrones (which, don’t get me wrong, is pretty cool) has influenced this trend, but I don’t like stories where good and evil characters are impossible, and I don’t think that idea is compatible with BIONICLE’s philosophy.

Again, I’m not saying flaws are bad, but I think we should still be mindful of BIONICLE’s core idea–the battle between good and evil, light and dark.

There is no such thing as a completely light or completely dark character, only various levels of morality.

Another reason why Bionicle will go nowhere. cause we think its not possible for it to me something more or different.[quote=“Toa_Heatwave, post:915, topic:19964”]
BIONICLE’s core idea–the battle between good and evil, light and dark.
[/quote]

I thought it was the bonds of fellowship, taking responsibilities, and shaping your future through your actions which was the core idea of Bionicle.

You know, this:

3 Likes

I probably should have worded my post better–I don’t actually think it’s impossible, but in order for it to become possible, BIONICLE’s audience will need to evolve. LEGO aimed the original theme at 6-14 year old kids, and most of us are of the opinion that that group hasn’t changed–in fact, with G2, it’s likely younger. We’ve seen before that LEGO is cautious about inserting more mature themes into its toylines, even those with more mature audiences, purely due to their views as a company. That, IMO, is what will keep BIONICLE squarely in the simplistic, good vs. evil category.

This is true as well, but as can be seen in many stories like BIONICLE, the fight between good and evil is often intertwined with the struggle to find one’s destiny and the bond between friends (two examples that come to mind are LOTR and Avatar: The Last Airbender).