Brotherhood of Makuta: Shornos

@Gilahu

Name: Shornos

Assigned Region: None

Kanohi: Mask of mutation

I remember a city. The only city on an island. Thick stone walls, a trench beyond that, and all the while, rahkshi patrolling the top.

Poor Shornos. He never truly wanted to be ruler of an island. It just kind of happened.

When the brotherhood of Makuta first formed, Shornos rather liked the job. He quickly went out, and claimed an island for his rahi making and experiments. However, he wasn’t very good at making small, tame-ish rahi. He made large, ferocious rahi.

This did not appeal to the matoran of the island. In fact, they rather disliked the whole “Ten seconds and the villiage is gone.” Thing.

A few years later, there was only one city left, the city he ruled. The matoran fled to him for safety. He set his rahkshi of rahi control to guard, and they prevented anything from getting in.

Later, during the league of six kingdoms, Miserix assigned him to supply rahi to Carapar. Like the majority of the Makuta, he resented being forced to do this, so he sent only small, weak rahi. He. The matoran would have liked it if he did that from the start.

Not that it stopped him from experimenting. He loved to make new rahi. Bigger rahi. Rahi with more spikes. He loved to use his mask to make them more powerful.

Before Tyrant came and conquored the island, Shornos made a big mistake. He mutated a muaka in such a way that it could not be controlled by him or his rahkshi.

And it went on a rampage.

The more damage was done to it, the angrier it got. It tore through buildings, and even Shornos himself. Poor guy. Done in by his own handiwork.

The muaka found it’s way into the forest, and tore things apart.

Of course, Shornos had a plan in plase in case this happened. He had many Guurahk hidden in caves outside the city, and they went wild. Shornos had it planned perfectly so that when the large rahi were all gone, the Guurahk were almost all dead as well.

A few weeks later, Tyrant came to the island.

-Nevanter Destral archive.

I want to mention something about the mask power before going to the MOC. The mask of mutation is not considered by toa to be an immoral mask, so I wanted this guy to die before Teridax’s coup.

On to the MOC.

Here is the back:

I feel I should mention the burnt orange on his arms. I wanted those pieces to be black, but I had run out of those pieces, and had just torn apart Pohatu and Ketar. When I get some more, I will replace those.

And a side/weapon view.

His weapon of choice is his scepter. Not that it makes much of a weapon. Shornos was not a very war-like makuta, and relied more on his kraataa powers to defend himself.

Lastly, here’s a size comparison with Ekimu.

What are your thoughts on him? Comments and criticism are always welcome.

4 Likes

Try beefing up the torso; a more triangular shape would be preferable to a T-shape

2 Likes

I wanted to do that, but I ran out of tan, and there’s a lot of metru green already on him.

When I get more tan, (Mostly dark tan. He needs more of that on him.) I’ll probably do that.

I will say the colorscheme is pretty cool.

1 Like

Somehow you seem to like very T-shaped torsos :wink:

The upper front of his torso seems rather unarmored aside from the shoulders and those spikes at the upper arms are a little long in my opinion. His legs could use some more custom build, too.

The story works for me - although the Mask of Mutation most definitely is a mask considered immoral by Toa for me, simply because of its power. An “immoral” power is also a better explanation for Toa not using a mask than “wrong guy wore it at the wrong moment”, in my opinion. It’s not directly canon that all Kanohi types worn by Teridax’s supporters are considered immoral by Toa. (The explanation for the Crast being immoral is somewhat farfetched though, admittedly)
The Tryna also is considered immoral by Toa, even though no canon Makuta wore one.
But all of that doesn’t matter for what you wrote here as backstory.

However, I’ve been thinking about this project and the average MOC quality, so in the future I will be demanding a little more from MOCs from now on.
I’m going to be honest: The colour scheme and the proportions both work for me, but overall this MOC is at best average.
Try making the limbs more custom, work a little more on that torso. Take your time, but make this MOC as awesome as you can.
Oh, and if you want to do me a favor try to use no to very little CCBS parts. But that’s totally up to you.

And then post a pic with Shornos in a nice pose, give him some personality on the picture - and show all of him on the photo (the tip of his staff isn’t on the first one).

Then I will gladly accept him.

2 Likes

He certainly lifts, a lot.

1 Like

I like the colour scheme, but not so much the T shape.

1 Like

Although the power does seem to make it an immoral mask, I have not been able to find anything where it says it was. in fact, I have found the opposite.

Not only that, but with some of the other masks, this is the reason given for them:

If you go to the bionicle wiki, it is directly referred to as immoral, which it isn’t on BS01. It isn’t my opinion that it should be cannon, like you said, but everywhere I have looked, it’s said that.

Sorry if I sound defensive or angry. I’m really not, so if you can direct me to where I am wrong, please do.

I agree with you there.

I’ll get on that, I recently tore apart some sets, so I have some more parts.

That, I’m afraid I’m going to have some difficulty with. I don’t have much in the way of G1 parts, and in the two kinds of tan, I only have that vorox armor piece from Ketar.

That I can do.

1 Like

The lower arms could do with some work. They’re the only dark orange on him, and it looks out of place. Maybe just use some black glatorian necks. The lower legs could use some armour too. As others have said, the torso really needs some diagonal bits between the waist and the arms, to avoid him looking like the letter T.

I like the colour scheme though, and the pipes going through his torso.

1 Like

You’re perfectly correct with that the Mask of Mutation isn’t directly referred to as immoral and that some masks are referred to as immoral because of their association with Makuta. I personally just feel like it should be an immoral mask.
And honestly, most of the known Makuta masks have pretty understandably immoral powers, exceptions being only the Shelek and the Crast in my opinion.

I’m eagerly awaiting your update on this MOC!

1 Like

I kind of mentioned this in the main post.

1 Like

Pretty cool use of colors.

Good backstory too.