Cyber-Hand's Forge

wait has cyberhand made the final version yet?

I am going to be spending tomorrow working on it. Should be up in the afternoon.

3 Likes

Thanks to let me know canā€™t wait! :heart_eyes:

Finally got the paint to color my other MoUP.

6 Likes

Since nobody really answered this, Imma ask again. :sweat_smile: Would this be something someone could do? I mean, youā€™d have to sacrifice some gold gold, but could it work?

1 Like

As to my knowledge, you canā€™t work with ABS at home. You can use resin, but there is no gold pigment for it really. Maybe you can use yellow plastic and mix it with super small golden glitter. That might work.
ABS needs factory.

1 Like

ABS 3d printer filament is a thingā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a shame. >< Thought maybe you could melt down the plastic the same way you could melt down certain metals with a home-made furnace or kiln. .-. Ah well.

EDIT: Actually, wait, thereā€™s ABS 3D printer filament, so maybe there is a way to liquefy it for moulding?

2 Likes

Liquid ABS is very hot and it would destroy silicone mold. Only if you make metal mold.

1 Like

Did anyone bought a high definition acrylic mask?

I just want to know how it looks in real.

I assume a resin mold would not work ether?

1 Like

I got the Titan Scale Maskā€¦it looks GREAT! @Cyber-Hand you did a magnificent jobā€¦thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Sorry for not being very active the past week. I have been very busy with a commission, and trying to get my second Miru done for a convention. (I was not able to do so.) With these out of the way, I will be able to return my attention to the MoUP, so here is an Update on how things are going.

IxRollout, who did the wonderful review on the mask two weeks ago, and I have figured out most of the design and found many things that neither of us had noticed before. This is the model as it stands.

At one point I made a mistake which resulted in this happening. I thought it best to call it a night at that point.

My little Camera stand has arrived, so I can use both hands and put up a video on how to sand it and get a nice finish. I have been practicing to try and get a nice shiny finish like TLG pieces. You can see the differance between just a normal primer/sand and the polished one. (I used parts of the Miru I am making for myself to test it)

I think I am getting better at it and have got a real nice finish, hard to even see that it was 3d printed. But these are rather large flat pieces. it is going to be quite tricky to get the same finish on something so small.

Once I have done the video and finished sanding and polishing the model, I will be attempting to make a silicone mold of the mask. The silicone has arrived as has the resin I will be using. My hope is to offer a better quality mask, for a cheaper price than shapeways is able to do. Here is a video of me testing the resin strength. You also get to hear my voice. (Doubt I am going to be getting invited onto any lego themed podcasts after everyone hears it.)

I also have started to make my home furnace to melt down aluminium and cast it. So I hope to have some metal masks by the end of the year.

I have been getting so many requests from people that have access to a 3d printer that I have created an Etsy account for people to purchase and download it off of.
Titan Scale model
Villager Scale model
When I make the resin and metal versions of the mask you will also be able to purchase them from my Etsy store.

I think that is everything to do with what I am up to at the moment.

@kamen_rider_kiva @KOSROBOT Abs can be melted at 150 to 270 degrees. Silicon can withstand 300 to 600 depending on the quality of the silicone. So it could work.
I would try to do it but I donā€™t have any spare pieces to test this on. The plastic might also be too thick to use in a mold without a centrifuge.

@cabbieboy thank you for liking my work enough to purchase the mask. I am glad you are enjoying it. Do the Masks fit ok now? Has the wobble issue been fixed?

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone here, and get a little emotional. I am not good at getting my thoughts down in words, so this may be a little all over the place.

Bionicle has made a huge impact on me as a person and where I am in my life. It was because of this toyline that I discovered a love or creating things. When I started learning how to 3d model, it was 2008, it felt and reminded me so much of the times I had spent playing and building with my sets. While the rest of the class spent time modeling those diagrams made by slotting together flat pieces of wood, I decided to make Makuta Krika as the first thing I ever modeled.
I wanted to continue making things, things that could make others feel. Things that others will be able to enjoy. Things that I could proudly say that I made. Every time I create something It is because I was once a child who loved to play with Bionicle. Playing and reading about heroes who had amazing powers and soul to them, who taught me that even when things were at their darkest, If you had friends beside you, you could make it through.
Two years ago I found a rumor floating around the internet, one that led me to TTV youtube page and confirm that it was true. Bionicle was coming back! I could not believe it, it was a dream come true, I would be able to see my heroes once again, and while they were not the ones I knew and loved they still had potential to grow into something greater. I joined the TTV Message boards a year and a 9 months later, to be part of the community and share my thoughts about where Bionicle was going. Then 2 weeks later it was canceled. None of my friends are Bionicle fans so they didnā€™t understand what I was going through. and I felt I was too new to the boards to voice my feelings. I felt everyoneā€™s outrage about not being able to get a makuta set, and although we could build the set from images we had seen, we would not be able to put that mask on his face. I wanted to give something back to the community that I had been a part of for so long but stood outside of. Now 2 months later 287 masks have been sold, and I am going to be using the skills I have learnt in this project to continue making things that others will Enjoy.
THANK YOU EVERYONE, for showing interest in what I have done and supporting my work. Thank you @Eljay for commissioning me and inviting me to the boards.

Phew, now back to being a serious person again. Sorry for the wall of text and being away for so long, I am going to try and be more active.

13 Likes

Agh, now I really wish I had the money and time to try this. >< You could Bricklink some spare parts, tho. .-.

Itā€™s fine, man, ya do whatcha gotta. :sweat_smile: I mean, Iā€™m rather inactive on here anyways, so I understand how ya feel. :stuck_out_tongue:

Omg, that looks gorgeous!!:heart_eyes: Canā€™t wait to see the finalised model, I should hopefully have a job by then and be able to buy like, 12 or 20 of these. cx Oh, btw, I havenā€™t seen these on any other versions of the MOUP (Yours or otherwise), but are you planning on adding the lines along the sides of the eyes? Or is that just too small of a detail to be printed?

1 Like

Pretty glorious, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to buy it (again), since it looks pretty much the same as the older one.

What shade of gold did you end up using? It looks quite good.

Maestro Acrylic mat paint gold metal color

This is a close up of the eye at the moment.

Considering how small the details are, I might have to get the frosted ultra detail. Also someone has bought the mask in High Def Acrylate so I will try and get in contact with them about how it looks, feels and how strong it is.

2 Likes

Thank you, cyber-hand, for that great speech. Seriously, I love it when people bear their souls in the name of something they love. :slight_smile:

Back to the topic, cyber-hand, is the mask on the shapeways site the final version, or is there another version in the works? I already got masks and got them painted (I totally forgot to ask my cousin what he used, Iā€™ll ask him once he gets back from vacation) and I want to wait to get two more Titan Scale masks once the final final version is released. Thank you!

1 Like

So I bought Villiger MoUP in White Strong & Flexible Polished, and painted it in gold.
But I couldnā€™t find gold like lego, so I just used normal gold paint in spray.

Here big gallery: Gold MoUP - Album on Imgur

http://i.imgur.com/IZmN7QX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GwsNOab.jpg

2 Likes