General Disney Live-Action remakes topic

People have started to discuss this as the Lion King trailer dropped, so I decided to make a topic to discuss those remakes in general, and keep the other dedicated to the specific movie the topic is about.

So, what do you generally think of those remakes?

1 Like

I don’t care what people think, I love them.

2 Likes

I don’t like them.
Some of them, like Mary Poppins, could have potential to be okay, but others, like Dumbo, are just gonna be trash.

1 Like

Fight me.
I-I-I-I mean… Convince me. Why do you think it going to be trash?

1 Like

I dunno.
The original movie was cute, and because it was animation it wasn’t super realistic
The live action dumbo uses a live elephant (or cgi), and it does NOT look cute or pretty, which is what Dumbo is supposed to look like.

Plus, you can’t make better what is already perfect.

1 Like

CGI. You can teach a dog to act, but not an elephant.

Are the elephants cute in real life?

You can make it at least as good. And there is nothing perfect on this world.

I actually think Dumbo will be a cash-grabber. The original kids that saw the animated Dumbo are now either grown-ups, or old enough to understand the movie industry. What is more nostalgic than rewatching your most beloved childhood movies? And the remake in a live action movie is a very creative idea, so even more will try to watch it.
Besides that, from what I’ve seen, the movie has some awesome visuals: the small clips we got are like mirrors to the old 80 circuses, where those clowns and those bubble-makers were actually considered super-heroes. I can’t wait to see how they are handling this one.

1 Like

True…

and elephants, in my opinion, aren’t super cute in real life.

There is nothing perfect,that is true, but I feel like Disney is trying to one-and-up the previous animated movies.

1 Like

In essence, they are just trying to make money.

1 Like

I like those remakes. Weather you hate them or not, the ones they made so far performed wonderfully, so obviously they will keep making them.
I am really looking forward to see how they are going to remake some of my favourite childhood movies.

1 Like

I kinda like them all so far, but as far as I’m concerned, Dumbo seems like a cash grab. The others are all classics but in my experience few people will bring up Dumbo among them.

1 Like

As a kid, I kind of hated the cartoon Disney movies. Now, I at least appreciate them. However, none of the movies being remade really interest me. Some ideas could be good, but currently, I think I’ll just wait for something that really catches my eye and let my sisters show me the movies they like.

And I’ve heard Mulan won’t have “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” which would be the main reason I’d want to see it.

2 Likes

No trust and no desire.

As in, not worthwhile, functional, necessary, or even related to Disney’s founding principles at all. The beauty of animation is its inherent style and easier control than live-action films, especially in that it comes out of an artist’s perception. Disney movies, especially with their huge budgets, handle this control of perception fantastically and create industry tenets just about every time.
To take that painstaking effort in making an original animated work, to take the efforts to adapt classic stories to the modern era with creative character models and full use of the strengths of animation (the cartoony-ness, the personality from exaggeration, and so on) and distill it years after into a heartless yet high-budget nostalgia grab for profit - it reeks of corporate greed and Disney’s attempts to buck the trend of keeping everything “up-to-date” and “relevant”.

Now, are there more worthwhile ways to adapt these stories to the present? Certainly. Disney’s works, namely the “classic” films, stick out as a little (and yes I mean heavily) black-and-white in their “artistic perceptions of the world,” amongst other things. Adding nuance, as live-action is evidently “supposed” to do, might actually help to " modernize" these films as their intended goals may be (even when considering some of these live-action remakes are of more “modern” renaissance film). But when Disney either continues to juxtapose their “reinvented” stories with the same black-and-white perception (Maleficent, and maybe Wrinkle in Time or that Nutcracker movie if I were really stretching, so just Maleficent for now (no idea if Cinderella is in a similar vein)) or attempts to make a Psycho-esque frame-by-frame animation remake (Beauty and the Beast, the Aladdin Trailer so far) even when animation is by its nature a simpler perception of “the world” compared to the CGI-induced details of Disney’s live-action cinematography (which, huh, were deliberate without attempting to really change anything), it clearly doesn’t promise much and/or just squanders potential for greatness.
That said, I’ve heard the live-action Jungle Book is good, so it’s not like my faith is completely out. However, I’d argue Disney should focus more on their 3D-animated films rather than continue to churn out these lifeless money-grubbing messes out with success at every turn.

So yeah, my soapbox. Sorry if that was a tedium; it may be 5 AM here, but that doesn’t necessarily excuse the rambly and incoherent, contradictory thoughts I cobbled together here. So, uh yeah… cya

And yes I’m aware that Miyazaki films handle nuance like second nature, that the DCEU’s forced pretentiousness in trying to look “gray” is awful and laughable, and that a lot of comedies can sometimes achieve cartoonishness better than many animated flicks (a lot of Edgar Wright stuff is great). For now, let’s just say I couldn’t get that into my argument, though the DCEU’s “dark gritty edginess” without really getting to the nuance could match with the way Disney handles their live-actions… but that one’s a stretch. Anyways, uh, cya for real.

2 Likes

Now that I think about it, a Little Mermaid remake would be pretty cool, if only because I’m curious as to what the main villain would look like.

2 Likes

We finally have a good trailer for the Aladdin remake

What do you think?

1 Like

Why do I like this movie so much already?

1 Like

Same here. Everybody all over the internet complained about being way to many remakes, but with this trailer I am convinced that they are actually a good thing

YOU TOO complained about this. And you were pretty vocal too.

Ok, anything else I should add?

I personally doubt that only one trailer completely erased your entire opinions about a whole franchise.

1 Like

I personally wasn’t against those remakes as much as other people. On one side I recognize those movies as being great, on the other I tend to agree with what people generally say about them. So, one trailer has not really “erased a lot of bad opinions”. It just moved me more into the positive side a little bit.