Harry Potter

Loved the movies, although I wasn’t able to see them till I was fifteen… Haven’t read the books yet, but I’ve watched plenty of videos so I get the basic gist of them. But I’ll say, the new sets for this Summer are amazing.

3 Likes

I CAN FINALLY READ HARRY POTTER

This is gonna be lit

3 Likes

How old are you?

Sixteen. I’m a junior in high school

Christian family?

1 Like

You must read minds. :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Gonna take advantage of the revival of this topic to post this here:

An excellent analysis/overview/retrospective on the entire series from a mature and balanced perspective. Definitely worth watching in it’s entirety.

1 Like

I watched the movies for the first time last summer, and am at present tearing through the book series. I’m obsessed. To be honest, I’ve enjoyed it more than Lord of the Rings, which is really surprising to me. Though, of course, it could be the novelty of it placing it higher than LoTR at the moment, but only time will tell.

2 Likes

There’s something that’s always bugged me about Deathly Hallows. So Slytherin’s locket is a Horcrux, and Horcruxes need to be destroyed with something that’s really powerful, such as Fiendfyre or basilisk venom. The sword of Gryffindor is imbued with basilisk venom, so it can destroy Horcruxes. But when destroying the locket, Harry uses Parseltongue to command it to open. Why did he have to do that? Why couldn’t Ron just stab the locket right then and there? I mean, the cup and the diadem-those, Ron and Hermione just stabbed with no problem whatsoever. So what’s the big deal about the locket?

Perhaps Voldemort added an extra layer of magical protection.

2 Likes

if that’s the case, then you’d think he’d do that with the rest of the Horcruxes, too.

1 Like

Eh, I dunno. You could also see it as another manifestation of Voldemort’s trapped spirit (similarly to how the bit of Voldemort that was stuck in his diary possessed Ginny in Chamber of Secrets).

1 Like

That’s a great question. If I had to take a stab at it, I’d say that Voldemort probably had nothing to do with the invincibility of the exterior; Slytherin was allegedly an incredible wizard and many objects of wizarding antiquity (such as the veil, the pensive, or the hallows themselves) possess qualities not understood by the modern wizarding world. I would say it’s not unlikely that ancient wizards would have developed a powerful protection spell that has since been lost to time. Voldemort simply took advantage of it.

3 Likes

It’s almost funny how much I know about this series, despite never having seen the source material. I’ve watched many videos about the series, theories and what-ifs and trivia, read a fanfic, browsed the wiki, seen clips of the movies, but I’ve never actually read the books or seen the movies in their entirety.

2 Likes