Island of Artakha Map [Art] [Worldbuilding]

Why the longest distance from one point to another for measuring the regions? Thats nkt really realiable or informative of the regions actual size. Square miles or kilometers is a standard used for any geograhical measurement of a territories size…specially since it adds the variable that the terrain wont be a perfect shape.

1 Like

It was to give some kind of reference. If you know the longest distance, you know the longest amount of time it will take to travel that region. Any other length would be less. I know that’s not the standard for geography, but it still works as a frame of reference, which was the purpose.

I never intended to give an actual area, since the exact shape of each region is subject to change. I just gave the longest span, since we have the canon idea of 2 weeks to walk from tip to tip.

I find it needlessly confusing when it doesnt factor in the terrain, if you fly or go by foot, or if there are man made obsticals that make traveling go by slower or faster.

1 Like

I mean, “as the crow flies” has been used for centuries. Its just to give people an idea of scale.

1 Like

In-world inaccuracy of that would work. But for us outside of it all, we could use something more precise cause we arent in that age and we do have the capabilities of knowing and crafting such precise measurements cause we have an outside perspective.

1 Like

Terrain/etc. are also subject to change. This is not the canon shape/terrain of the island, so going that in depth is pointless at this time.

This was made purely as a concept. So the canon 2 weeks to get from tip to tip was based on a straight, flat path, with a set speed and duration each day. It is enough to give an estimation for reference (this distance and rate of walking is equivalent to walking from the bottom point of Texas to the upper left corner of its northern border). Once the island becomes more established in the canon, then the adjustments can be made to properly measure everything out. Of course this means that the distances will go down to account for terrain/etc.

2 Likes

Hopefully they will aknowledge tour pitch and possibly incorporate it fully as the go to approach for the Island.

1 Like

After hearing Brainstorm episode 5, the cast mentioned the volcano being more in the center of the island. I decided to redesign my previous concept to fit that detail as well. (The purple rectangles are the 3 merchant gates.)

5 Likes

I love this version. The old one seemed a bit too… Alien and hostile… I don’t know how to describe it, but it just felt too ‘unfriendly’ unlike Mata Nui. It just had that weird unnatural shape.

This however, seems fluid and elegant. I love it!

3 Likes

I kinda get what you mean, though I still kinda like it for that reason. But yes, I like this newer one much better. It seems more like a natural island shape with the regions piecing together better.

2 Likes

I like this one but the placement of Naho next to Ihu may cause some ice problems for the water region.

2 Likes

I see it more as the base of a rocky mountain along Naho’s border. The actual snow and ice would be higher up. Basically the warmer tropical region of Naho would prevent the ice from extending all the way to the mountain/cliff’s base.

2 Likes

That could work for most of the region but I think there would still be some sea ice and cold winds in northern Naho.
The northernmost Naho island is surrounded by Ihu and would probably be frozen at least.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say frozen. There’s way more water than ice there that comes from the warmer Naho. So, icy waters up there, sure. But not fully frozen. Probably just some floating ice chunks. The small island up there would definitely be colder than the others, but I doubt it would be Alaska island levels. The mix of warm and cold waters would make that island relatively neutral for temp.

If it were actually going to be more of a frozen over island, then it would probably be counted as Ihu territory instead.

[Edit] - Also, I can sort of see Nahoans making their boat huts to the west of the main Naho land mass (along that western curve). This would allow them to be more secluded from other regions. Then they use the bay and inner islands for specific goods in that spot or for accessing the river into Tiro for trading. So even if the bay was a bit more frozen over, then it wouldn’t necessarily affect the Nahoans.

2 Likes

I always imagined Naho as a more tropical region but with the reasoning you have given, I can get behind this idea.

3 Likes

Why don’t we just swap Ihu and Mangai then? It will fix the climate problems and not affect practically anything, the gates to Motara will remain the same.

The volcanos of Mangai would warm up Naho and be a direct result to some of the islands, we could make some of them have volcanic origins, like Hawaii.

2 Likes

My thought for Mangai’s placement is that the heat from Mangai and Motara would be partially what keeps Kanae floating (warm air rises). Also, it makes more sense to have Mangai spilling into Motara than Ihu into Motara.

Naho would still be the heat/beaches for most of it. But having a portion be colder waters gives an excuse to have goods that Hawaii-themed places don’t have. I still don’t think it’s enough to actually have ice in the water per say, since the border would be at a much lower elevation from the rest of Ihu. The border could be a large cliff face that you can’t actually cross unless you wanted to climb it. Maybe it’s actually waterfalls made from the ice melting as it got closer to the border.

If the cast has a certain view for the layout, then I can adjust it, but for now I think this one works best.

1 Like

Very interesting explanation for the floating of Kanae.

I thought that Mangai’s volcano chain would be warming up the western Artakha, and the mountains would be the result of Tiro’s jungles and Motari desert, as the wet climate would be blocked by them and bound to just one part of the island.

I also always pictured Naho as tropical, I don’t know what the Cast wants to do with it, but Naho being similar to French Polynesia and Hawaii was always how I pictured it. With Ihu next to it, it feels like it would look a bit like some Canadian islands. Especially with how small the island is supposed to be.

1 Like

[Edit] - Updated map design based on new episode info.

2 Likes

This new design plays quite well into my ideas for civil war, the regions can essentially have a line drawn between them separating the two sides, perhaps Motara and Kanae absorb that little peninsula there as a trade route and defend it.

Actually that could be a set…

If only I had my stuff setup I’d be on it now.

1 Like