Lego Contests

okay, since its been 5 days since the contest has officially started, il start a bit of a rant up, slightly involving a certain Mocist
Who I was originally going to keep anon, but since its a bit hard to do that without showing proof of what he did
basically, this MOCist posted two MOCs into the contest, pretty harmless, right?
until you do a bit of research
and realize one of them is 4 years old, the other is 3 years old
the 3 year old one, http://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/view-entry?c_id={00A66255-0F67-490B-97E3-3FCD9CF12314}&a_id=313b3c41-5f1b-4875-9f54-d8adcd963ba4&sortEntry=false
has a comment, by the mocist himself, blatantly proving it
(you can also search it and find plenty of results)

what annoys me (other then him just reposting a MOC that is over 3 years old) is that the 4 year old one, http://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/view-entry?c_id={00A66255-0F67-490B-97E3-3FCD9CF12314}&a_id=214e9eef-2562-4ad8-81da-e78b55b5ab03&sortEntry=false , goes for a different approach
Rather than having the name of the MOC it was, he gives it a random name he came up on the spot, and it doesnt even look like G2 makuta
and thats the spirit of the contest
You gotta build the evil overlord himself, Makuta, not Teridax
You can be original in what you build
but give him some sorta G2 Makuta features

I am not making this post to insult the mocist in question (as much as I would like to, considering his past actions), I would simply like to bring light to this situation
the whole spirit of the contest is to build
the rule allowing old mocs to be entered should have been rephrased that mocs made in the past month (as in, for example, made when most people saw the video) could be entered
I mean, its hard to judge that, perhaps if you had posted it beforehand, its an invalid entry (you can check this by searching the image, if you didn’t know)

I am not saying go hate on him
I am saying, if you are going to enter a MOC, enter a MOC which you worked painstakingly on for this contest, specifically for this
Its a makuta contest
not getting old mocs and reposting them as Makutas just for an extra chance at a prize that you don’t need

Please, if you want to enter the contest, work hard to make your makuta the best, this isn’t about winning, this is about having fun

If you want to win,if you want the prize
You work for the prize.

Thanks for reading.

16 Likes

I really hate it when people re-use old stuff for recent contests, it takes the fun out of the whole idea of a contest that is based on a freshly built creation sparked from the idea/theme of said contest, plus seeing that it’s Dave doing it will most likely bring up some issues with others.

5 Likes

That’s really nice, was it rendered in LDD?

I believed it used POV, also that user posted more than 1 entry.

1 Like

It really strikes me as unfair whenever people just post previous creations in contests. Sure, they spent just as much effort and time making the creation back then just as much as people right now, but the point is, under the context of an entry, they’ve done nothing.

Think of a guy who in a quick hurry, made his best work in a day or two, a huge, titan Makuta that, (let’s be honest) probably isn’t the best and is subject to numerous criticisms. As it should.

Now think of a guy who has already made a borderline “related” creation years ago and in that couple years has probably fine-tuned his creation. All he has to do is slap on a little entry of his 3-year old grand masterpiece. It strikes me as lazy.

Imagine this in the context of, I dunno, some art contest. It’s not fair for some guy to just re-purpose his barely fitting 3-year-old work into compared to someone who actually attempted to make an entry specifically for the contest.

Contests are about enjoying your time and making entries that show that you’ve done hard work and effort just for the contest, not just taking old work and acting like you’re actively participating. You’re not. You’re just being lazy and not putting effort into making something to show you want the prize.

TL;DR: Just make something to prove your skills, re-purposing something as an entry doesn’t show that you worked hard. You may have worked hard back then, you probably haven’t worked hard on re-hashing your entry.

A little note, I’m not trying to be biased here. I don’t intend to enter the contest.

6 Likes

Continuing the discussion from

But you did. You said about this

[quote=“Omega_Tahu, post:19, topic:27412”]
The first picture probably won’t win, because it shares no aspects with Makuta besides being bad.
[/quote]

yes, because that one shares no aspects, not even a tacked on mask of control. and tbh, I wouldn’t be surprised if it won.the biggest problem might be the ten percent system, depending on how they calculate it.

True

For anyone else wondering we were discussing whether a Makuta moc for the contest must have inspiration from a previous form of Makuta or can it be a completely new design (if you want to even have a chance of winning)

1 Like

The mocist in question is actually the person I originally had the discussion that sparked me to bring it up here. As for the second moc, in his own words

Also, here. Just cause you complained, have another. I wasn’t even gonna submit him but what the h***. Kutumah looks plenty Makuta-y enough and it’s in the rules so Yay me.

Original “Status” where the discussion he and I had took place.

1 Like

The guy who spent 3 years to make his MOC now has a MOC he could just as easily have made in a day or less. He made the original MOC, then modified it as his Moccing skill improved and as he obtained new parts and as his tastes changed. (Maybe he loved tails 3 years ago, but now thinks they’re dumb). Unless it’s a MOC that would take longer than a day to rebuild from scratch( which would require more parts than most people have anyway), any MOC you have is a mark of your current skill, and its quality can be easily replicated.

Building a MOC for 3 years is taking a MOC you like and updating it to your new skill level. It’s no different from making a new MOC at your current skill level, and it gives you no advantage you wouldn’t already have.

Just finish my Makuta. Pictures will be coming soon.

gg Stippling
http://i.imgur.com/HfQA2RY.png
#GG

even though likes doesn’t really affect the result of judgement

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what happens when you have a loyal fanbase.

1 Like

Well then why does CallanLof’s Makuta not have as many likes. He has twice the subscribers as Stippling.

Because Callan still needs to git gud.

3 Likes

What???

Because Stippling’s is actually better suited for the contest.
Because, Y’know, Callan made a G1 Makuta.

6 Likes

Yeah I watched Callan’s Makuta video again and there doesn’t seem to a single CCBS piece on it. This is porbably because he doesn’t like the smooth design of CCBS.

4 Likes

That MOC is really cool and brilliantly made, but this contest has basically ruined gold overlord Makutas for me…

1 Like

ikr

I missed my chance to make puppeteer Makoti