Life In Quarantine

come on man, it had two days until its two-week period was up!

2 Likes

what difference does the two week period make?

If you go two weeks without symptoms you probablu donā€™t have symptoms

2 Likes

oh ok I get it now

2 Likes

Finally today is the last day of school.
It is the end of the first year of high school.
School ends at 1 pm.
Orā€¦ it should end at 1 pm.
Thanks to online learning the history professor will continue interrogating until 5 pm because 4-6 marks arenā€™t enough apparently.
Man I love online learning.
Well at least itā€™s the last day of school and tomorrow Iā€™m free and I can do whatever I want

1 Like

when I was doing e-learning, I had to wear my uniform to all meetings

2 Likes

So happy Iā€™m out of school. Iā€™ve only been in one call since thus began. But seriously? You had to get dressed for online school? Did they also control that you had to have a clean background or show your hands to make sure you werenā€™t having fun?

no, as long as we werenā€™t on a couch or bed, it was fine, but they were not that strict, I ended up playing with my galidor pieces off camera

1 Like

So even if you werenā€™t physically at school they had stupid rules. And adults wonder why most kids fake being sick or anything to not go to school. I wonder if anyone ever went pantless as an FU to the rule.

I had some youth in government calls where I wore a suit jacket and tie with gym shorts

We got one email about us still wearing business casual; but none of our classes had us online so I only had to wear them for group calls. Some days I would wear the shirts anyway cause theyā€™re comfy.

1 Like

Although I hated wearing the uniform, all of the students in hindsight can agree that it better encouraged productivity, by the end of the semester, we were still on track with the original syllabus. we almost had 100% attendance

And that my friend, is why Homeschooling works.

3 Likes

what is your opinion of home schooling? I have met people that have been homecshooled their whole life and hated, but I know others who switched from ā€œnormalā€ school to being homeschooled and loved it.

I got pulled out of a private school my first year because I was already far ahead in certain subjects - I did math on a third grade level at least, and first grade math was so boring that I was failing due to my lack of interest. Homeschooled until 10th grade where I started taking a few early classes in college (which a lot of my homeschool compatriots did.)

On an academic level, how well you do in homeschool depends on how well you can teach yourself, especially if the stuff youā€™re learning is beyond your parentsā€™ understanding, as well as the coursework. I had a good math curriculum that didnā€™t teach calculus, so I switched to the Saxon math which didnā€™t explain things well enough, on top of having a bunch of questions each day, and I got consistent Fā€™s in math that year. Not that it mattered since I had already taken the SAT, and retook calculus in college at a much more reasonable pace.

The social level is where it gets tricky. A lot of parents choose to homeschool because that lets them be more involved in the childā€™s development, and so when the child has to tackle complex topics theyā€™ll be more likely to talk to their parents instead of their peers. However, this also means that youā€™re going to be seeing people less and have less of a chance to meet people with different perspectives, since a lot of homeschooled kids (at least the ones I know) share similar backgrounds. It might just be my own case, and in part due to my autism spectrum disorder, but I didnā€™t have anyone I considered to be close friends through most of high school, only improving once I started going to a youth group (with the help of a good youth pastor and a girl I had a crush on) and the LEGO community online.

1 Like

As Iā€™ve been homeschooled since 2nd grade, itā€™s the way I prefer.

Thereā€™s also 2-3 kinds of homeschooling as well. There what I call traditional homeschooling, which is what I did. Basically, the parentā€™s are the teachers, and they help educate the children (and as the children get older, the children can do it themselves, the parents just provide the curriculum). The second is a homeschool co-op. Similar to an electric co-op, several people get together, to homeschool their kids. For example Mrs. Smith teaches math, Mr. Browne teaches english, Maybe on of the older kids teaches history, etc. The third is online public school, basically, they are registered public schools, that do teaching online, which is kinda whatā€™s going on right now with the lockdown.

I think, it all depends on the kids, but for the majority, I think homeschooling in one of these forms does better than public schooling. Simply because the child in question, isnā€™t a statistic. They arenā€™t just some number they need to make sure they school hits their budget quota. With things like the co-ops, or traditional homeschooling, and depending on which one, even online public schools, the educators get to know the child personally, and they can help tailor the curriculum to the specific child or group of childrenā€™s needs.

Thatā€™s part of why private tutors are so effective, they are able to engage and get to know the child better than the average public school teacher. (Nothing against those teachers, itā€™s just the way the system is)

Obviously, not all kids will thrive in a homeschool environment, some kids thrive in a public school environment. It depends on the child.

It think that kinda depends on the parents. My parentā€™s are bible-believing southern baptists, but they made sure to pound into me the different points of view people have. Just depends on who your parents are.

3 Likes

Except Iā€™ve always though ā€œwhen are we as average people ever going to use half this stuff?ā€ Unless you want a specific job or degree itā€™s practically useless. To this day Iā€™ve never used math past elementary or middle school level and remember next to nothing of history.

3 Likes

well the answer to that is, donā€™t strive to be an average person. I will agree, I have gotten frustrated many times during my math class with those same opinions, but some things are particularly important, history and philosophy. I think it is a shame that so many people forget about their history classes, because if we do not inform ourselves, it will repeat itself.

I have had the chance to use my recently learned math skills to draw digital pictures and the knowledge has also greatly assisted my programming dexterity.

2 Likes

All of my complaints about school now no longer matter, because I have officially graduated! Thatā€™s right, Iā€™m the cursed class of 2020! My graduation year will strike fear into my enemies and force them to quiver as I near!
ā€¦
ā€¦
ā€¦
I guess.

4 Likes

I always hear the ā€œlearn from the pastā€ excuse. Sure there are some specialized things that itā€™s helpful but the average person probably isnā€™t going to become a mathmetician, historian, etc. Iā€™m probably never going to be in charge of a large group like a country or company so Iā€™ve got nothing to learn from Hitler, Julius ceaser, or any other failed leader.
Besides; for things like math they invented this great thing called the internet. We donā€™t need to know this stuff off the top of our head anymore.

2 Likes