Life In Quarantine

It doesn’t matter if you will be, as a voting citizen, it’s your responsibility to recognize when those kinds of people are rising to power, and ise you power of the vote to put a stop to them. (Or support them as the case may be.)

History is important, even if you don’t use it to prevent yourself from repeating history, you can use it to prevent others.

2 Likes

I’ve been building at least one Moc per week(i would be building gunpla but I cleared my backlog a while back.)

1 Like

True, Julius Caesar died, but I would never go so far as to say he was a failure, if we go by that standard, all people are failures because all people die. If you really think we should depend on sources like the internet for knowledge, I would recommend you read up on a stage performance written in the 1920’s by Karel Capek, called “R.U.R.”

hate to be that guy who says don’t trust the internet, but, what if next disaster that comes around manages to take the internet down with it?

I did say I remember next to nothing on history. I was always the kind of student to just cram and barely learn the basics before a test anyway.

1 Like

yeah, I can relate to that… I definitely had to cram for a couple of history tests…

Yep. Some kids can study normal a few days before and others either don’t or cram everything before school. I basically only kept 90% of info just until I didn’t need it then within a few days I forgot it.

Um…I actually use a lot of school stuff in my daily life. If anything my AP+ public school education was a ripoff because it didn’t teach me enough of what I actually needed to know.

It’s not like I learned how to sew, plant a garden, or even do laundry in school. I had to go to college to learn internet marketing, and I had to look up all the personal finance stuff I know on the Internet. I suffer from lack of cooking abilities to this day.

I use my school math for all of the above, and history to help with my study of literature. Chemistry is a good foundation for cooking. I just wish that someone had told me how to translate the school foundation into everyday practicals.

Maybe that’s why people like me exist; they always tell you all this stuff is important but never why. Why do we need to learn all the countries on europe? When are we going to need to solve " pi squared = 4 to the power of x?"? Why should I care about how influential shakspear was? Give me one good reason why I should listen to anything you’re saying.

Some things are important like writing, basic math, etc but others are near entirely pointless except to that one person who really wants to be something more then the average person. As long as you get the basics you’re good.

1 Like

I think a big part of school is learning a bit of everything just to see what it is you really like so you can get some kind of idea of what you want to do.

I believe school isn’t really there to teach you facts and things you learn from textbooks and lectures. I read an entire book for Psychology on recent studies and what they reveal about our mind and how it learns best, and the current public school system basically acts against it in nearly every way.

So, no, I don’t think the primary benefits from high school and below are what the facts we learn and carry into our lives. What we get are a variety of skills and understandings. We come to adapt to a schedule that works around things we don’t control, work as groups, alone, and with a mentor, to think for ourselves and solve semi-complex problems, and come to learn the roles of due dates and the consequences of late assignments. Essentially, these are just protocols designed to teach us how to be workers. The different subjects allow us to gain these skills in different environments regardless of which section of the workforce we plan to go into.

I don’t think it’s until college that we’re actually supposed to learn things.

That’s just my take. School feels useless because we’re looking to gain the wrong things from it. Sure, if we know who Jean-Jacques Rousseau is, and Locke’s natural laws, and how to divide fractions, that’s a bonus. But I don’t think that’s what the current system is set up to teach us.

3 Likes

I think it depends on how early you want to take the bull by the horns… but yeah, in general, I would agree.