Makuta Teridax Discussion

Dang, that’s like the 5th typo I’ve made in the past 24 hours. Derp.

I love that mask. Not quite like the original, but menacing just the same.

4 Likes

Terri? Oh yeah, he took my lunch money once, jerk.

3 Likes

Not to mention potentially having Ghost sets if the rumoured 4-chan thing was true. Wonder if all Lego lines work off a template? Aspects of Makuta being scattered amongst all villains since including Lord Business.

2 Likes

just like mactootie makin that mask over dere

2 Likes

What if these are the Skull villain’s ghosts after their bodies have been destroyed? :open_mouth:

Makuta wears the mask of control…Lord Buisness wants conformity and control over everyone…

Will Ferrell as Makuta’s voice actor confirmed!

2 Likes

Unleash the Kraahkan!

6 Likes

I don’t buy the golden years Makuta was trying to protect the island theory. If he was trying to save it why would he unleash the bohrok swarms? Some canon says its Takua did it but in the Mask of Light during his Monologue (dialogue?) with Mata Nui, he distinctly stated that he unleashed the rahi and the bohrok. Now before you say the movies aren’t reliable sources of canon, yes that’s true we’ve established that, if you watched the latest autopsy you would know that this theory came from the movie.

2 Likes

The much lesser known third ‘brother’.

9 Likes

The way I see it is kind of like the “Link is dead” theory. It’s a fun theory, but I think there’s a lot that goes against it as well. There’s a possibility it could be true, but I see it as most likely not being.

Its not really a theory when its factual, the autopsy on the other hand didn’t do the research to find it;

An early plot summary from 2002 reveals that the movie’s ending would have played out completely differently. Originally, the island was to be literally falling apart during the course of the movie, culminating in the grand awakening of Mata Nui and the revelation that he is a giant robot who has slept under the island. Him standing up would have completed the island’s destruction. In the finished film, only a single random tremor happens that doesn’t affect the plot. Part of the original ending was nevertheless kept: Takanuva summoning the islanders underground would have ensured that they would survive Mata Nui’s awakening. The monologues, dialogues and actions of the villain Makuta also hint towards him wanting to spare the island by keeping Mata Nui asleep, and his fight with the hero Takanuva, as well as them merging into a single being at the end would have symbolized them coming to a mutual agreement and understanding that the island has to be sacrificed for their god Mata Nui to return. However, the ending of the movie was rewritten so that, despite what the dialogue suggests, Mata Nui does not awaken after all, and Makuta’s motivations are not explored. This was possibly the result of The LEGO Company wanting to extend the story of the franchise in order to sell more toys, and to keep Mata Nui’s nature a secret until later.

2 Likes

I admit I had forgotten that, I retract my former statement. But still, it doesn’t fit with much that had happened before that point, mostly the Bohrok, as CausticKrana pointed out.

Yeah, guessing that the Bohrok’s job would not have been the same had they kept the same ending they planned for Mask Of Light. Chances are the Bohrok’s job could have been something entirely different to clearing up the island in preparation of Mata Nui’s awakening.

Either that or its a story inaccuracy caused by them trying to change the movie around, given it was a deleted scene from the movie.

1 Like

I’m wondering if Makuta’s motives were planned on being changed for that movie alone and before and after that it was the “Pure evil” Makuta we knew. It could be that the idea for Makuta really trying to “protect” Mata Nui wasn’t only cut because of the line continuing, but they decided it didn’t fit with what had happened so far.

2 Likes

I absolutely loved the autopsy look at Makuta.

The line “now I will protect Mata Nui from you” always stood out to me, even as a child.
It just makes for a much more well developed and original character.

I always thought that Mauta’s infected matoran form was great in how creepy it was when you really got down to it.
Just imagine some tumor ridden person turning into a void of body and machine parts right in front of your eyes, that would be the human equivalent of infected matoran makuta.

Let’s hope that G2 Makuta becomes a compelling villain later on.

4 Likes

I think G1 Makuta is the greatest villain of all time. He’s resourceful, intelligent, efficient, and successful.

Also, before JTO ended, I thought that maybe G2 Makuta was actually G1 Melding Alternate Universe Terridax (because, ya know, hammers. And gold.)

2 Likes

Since it seems this has been revived, I’ll give my thoughts.

As someone who learned about BIONICLE’s lore through the comics and the novels before ever seeing the movies, Makuta was always a perfect villain in my eyes. He was smart enough to fool everybody - multiple times - that he’d been destroyed or cast away, only to still be lurking nearby, waiting for the next step in his master plan to unfold. He was resourceful enough to never be caught completely off guard, and he always had a contingency plan in place. And he was evil enough to fool and corrupt and lie to just about anybody he deemed either a useful tool or in his way.

The way Teridax was written by Greg Farshtey was my second favorite portrayal, and my first favorite was (if this can even count) his appearance in MNOG. In the latter he came across as a truly demon-like being, untouchable and in a void state of nothingness (as he himself even claims) and smarter than any could comprehend. His dialogue of course was what made him in that game.

My very first true look into the character was through “Makuta’s Guide to the Universe”, written by Greg Farshtey. For those who don’t know, this was basically a comprehensive guide to the Matoran Universe’s most important happenings, accompanied by excerpts from BIONICLE novels and “diary entries” from Teridax himself. Reading “his thoughts” further solidified my opinion that this dude was evil and awesome, and purely unbeatable. Until of course he was crushed, in the end, by destiny.

So, I like him. I like his character and his personality. His name I’m okay with, but it doesn’t really communicate his evil; not like a name such as “Sauron” or “Morgoth”. Like many I would’ve preferred his name to stay a secret.
His portrayal in the movies was… pretty yuck, in my opinion. He came across as merely a greedy thug in my eyes. Which I guess he is no matter what, but in the movies that’s sort of all he was. So I didn’t much care for that. And speaking of things I didn’t care for (and going off-topic a bit), I kind of preferred believing he was actually brother to Mata Nui then knowing he was only one of a species - of which he wasn’t even really the most powerful. If he’d actually been related to Mata Nui instead of being one of the creations, it would’ve made the character’s entire arc that much more emotional - and evil.

But otherwise, I think Teridax is a very capable and cool villain; not the best out there nor my favorite, but definitely great. It was during the early years when his origins and appearance were still mostly unknown that he was the most malevolent, in my opinion. But he’s a pretty fly baddie all around.

And I definitely agree with all you have to say here, Esquire.

2 Likes

I still think G 2 Makuta is more interesting from a character standpoint

Why do you think this? Their motivations are pretty much the same, and any added depth that G2 Makuta has that Teridax doesn’t is just speculation.

Does anyone have any ideas what Makuta was going to do with the Great Spirit Robot once he conquered it? I know part of the plan was actually killing Mata Nui (which he failed to do) but if he had succeeded, what then? Was there a specific goal he had in mind?

from what Teridax told Mata Nui, he wanted to then counqer the universe.

i would just like to say that in truth, Teridax never became a god, oh he became a god of the matoran universe, but lets face it, he was just became a giant robot with an eco system inside of him which he could alter at will, outside of that though he was just a farly large robot, which i find laughable when one says that they are going to use it to take over the universe. Like seriously, just because your big i does not mean that you are all powerful, i can imagine that many alien races would be able to take on Teridax when he tries to take over the universe.

the only weapons the GSR had outside where laser and gravity beams, but really, Teridax did not really have anything like

all he had was a really large robot body, some lasers and a gravity beam in his hands.

oh and lets not forget the unstable energy source, which could blow up the robot if someone was not carefull.

3 Likes