Following the same conservative concept as my 2015 villain mods, I now present you 2016 villain mods!
I really like Umarak the Hunter just the way he is, so I didn't mod him. Yes, I've tried moving his shoulder joints up a notch, but I found that it kinda limit his articulation that his arm shells would clash with his shoulder traps when he tried raising his arms up, so I changed them back.
First, I lengthened his legs by using his hunter form's thighs, and switched that limiting ankle support bones into something with more range of movement.
For the arms, I changed his upper arm into shorter trans bones to eliminate the gap between his shoulder pads and the crystal shells. I also added the smallest bone pieces to add both elbow and wrist articulations.
To the body, I tried to give him his JtO crystal back look with the spare parts left from JtO Makuta combiner, and also an articulated neck. So I restructured his neck region a bit by first removing most of the old technic neck construction to achieve this, and I ended up attaching his head to the original body's ball joint with some small CCBS neck.
Finally, the head. I tried to emulate how his gold horns look like their bases are attached directly to the side of his head in both the game and JtO. I just inserted a ball joint between the connectors, and put a gold shell there to give the illusion that his horns reach up further to his head. And I also made his jaw movable using a really simple mod.
I like the asymmetric look of this set but the function make his crystal arm both wobbly and gappy. So I first changed that by adding ball joint friction for his function, then adjusted the shoulder attachment to make his crystal shells more tightly-packed and continuous.
For the body, I moved his gear box down one unit and his other arm to the back, to make both shoulders connect at similar level. And like what I'll do for all the beasts, I attached his ribcage add-on directly to the main torso.
Finally, the big problem that plagued every beast sets, lackluster pseudo-digitigrade lower legs. So I decided to give him true digitigrade legs while staying true to his asymmetry. I also used a solid purple shell, some pink spikes and trans-purple toes, to compliment his accent colors.
First, I modded his function following Play Stippling's Mocitorium to give it more friction. And in doing so, I also ended up reconstructing how his neck is connected to the body. Some technic parts were changed to black counterparts to better fit the color scheme.
All of his limbs were changed. His tail was made slightly longer with addition of a small bone. His arms and legs were all reconstructed for better articulations. But I actually really like his claw hands so I kept them that way.
For this beast, I managed to give him a functional shadow trap on his back like other beasts.
And like every other beasts, his legs were changed to full digitigrade look.
The main mod for Ekimu is in the body. I moved the gear box down to accommodate the front ball-joint friction system, and changed the should pad attachment to Tahu Master's style with added small trans-blue shells to cover the side gaps.
His arms and legs were both modded to be more articulated with better proportions.
Here's how Ekimu looks with Agil. I did switch some of Agil's black parts with grey ones to make his whole color scheme seems a bit lighter, as it is a creature of light.