Super Sentai / Power Rangers

I would have been very disapointed if there wasn’t a power rangers topic. Now is it just me, or do themes of certain seasons start to repeat? Dino thunder, Dino charge, Wild Force, Jungle fury, Ninja Storm, Ninja Steel…

I just love it when a new vehicle gets introduced to sell toys. We all know why the Dino thunder rangers had a Semi truck, raptor-themed motorcycles, and freaking ATVs for the special rangers.

That doesn’t just happen in Power Rangers, Super Sentai is also a culprit of this. You’ll see different Sentai series that have very similar concepts.

#So blame Japan!!!

So I used to love power rangers when I was about 4 up until I was around 7 or 8. So for the first time in about 10 years I watched Power Rangers Dino Thunder, the series that originally had me hooked, and I’ve got to be honest, it’s pretty bad. I know Power Ranger isn’t exactly aiming to be an Emmy award winning show or anything but I was really quite shocked that I never realized how cheesy it really is, the acting is really bad, the CGI is much worse than i remember and it’s all so rediculous, it’s on the same standard as most B-movies. I don’t mean to insult anyone who likes it, but that’s kind of how I feel.

1 Like

lmao

actual plot progression
self awareness and metahumour
Character development and confict
Probably one of the few decent villains, but a well acted one with tons of great, threatening characterization and cinematography

Go and watch Megaforce is you want a taste of a genuinely bad show with no actual merits.

But Dino Thunder?
That’s some pretty bad opinions.

But Time Force, one of the best seasons and genuinely a very good show has been nominated for one?

But RPM, In Space, SPD especially, Time Force and Lightspeed Rescue all exist? The actors do amazing jobs of conveying drama, emotion and characterization?

But it knows this, and works with this on a level of self awareness, or completely disregards it so it tells a genuinely good story?

The budget for Super Sentai’s CGI is actually really low, so this is pretty valid.

And once again, it either acknowledges this and works with it to make a self aware parody, telling a good story, or disregards this to just be a good, rather serious show?

Heck, if you break it down
Costumes heroes use special abilities to fight monsters, aliens and robots.
Sounds like a lot of other things, doesn’t it?

Power Rangers has some really good shows, but the stigma it has prevents people from actually watching them. Like every season from In Space - SPD is a good or decent show, after that it’s only RPM and Jungle Fury, made up by RPM being amazing.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see where you’re coming from. It really isn’t that good of a show.

Personally I like it in the same way I like the 60’s Batman series, in that it’s so ridiculous and over the top that I can’t help but be amused, but I can under stand that style isn’t for everyone.

2 Likes

I actually was quite amused when I rewatched it. I’m just surprised my younger self never caught on to this.

2 Likes

Kyuuranger Spoilers:

Commander Ryu (the 10th Purple Kyuranger) is confirmed to appear next episode. It’s Shou Ronpou (duh) and the toys for him have already come out. He transforms with his staff.

1 Like

Honestly even if it is “self-aware” I can only take so much of rangers fighting some ugly thing, then beating said ugly thing, to fight a bigger version of that ugly thing. It gets old fast.

1 Like

I’ve seen everything Gokaiger-Present, and out of those,

I highly recommend Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyoryuger, and maybe what’s currently out for Kyuranger,

ToQGer and Zyuohger are ok, but they are also far from perfect,

And don’t touch Ninninger unless you’re in the mood for some StarNinger memes

2 Likes

I have been watching Ninninger for a while and I never knew Starninger memes existed…

thanks ‘bud’

EDIT:
Ninja Steel is getting interesting
WARNING: Only click the blur on my post if you don’t mind major spoilers for Ninja Steel for the episodes that will air in Fall (AKA when the hiatus ends). This contains big, BIG spoilers for them

Well uh, I think Madame Odius’ machine either brainwashed Levi to make him evil but it glitched so he’ll turn evil later (so they can use that Ninninger footage), or it brainwashed him to forget that HE IS BRODY’S BROTHER. I didn’t see the clips/episode but apparently Levi Weston is Brody’s missing brother. I’m honestly glad they made this twist and I hope the reveal is executed better than the Gold Ranger ordeal was. Apparently France either already aired the episodes or something was leaked by them. All I know is that they had something to do with it and Levi is Brody’s brother. But yeah, that’s it.

Since I have no life, I’ve been binging Power Rangers shows for the past week. I think the quality varies a lot, but from what I’ve seen it’s not generally as bad as some people think. While some of the early stuff like In Space really is pretty lousy (sorry @anon68675807 [not that PRiS is entirely bereft of positive qualities]), series like RPM and Time Force actually have good acting, strong characters and plots, and manage to have variation in the stories they tell even if they’re bound to the same structure 90% of the time.

I just started on it. Speaking as someone who never saw it back in the day…it’s not the best thing ever, but I don’t think it’s bad by any means. The acting isn’t great, but I wouldn’t say it’s bad for the most part (though the actors’ accents slip a lot). The protagonists have well-defined personalities and play off each other in really fun ways. And it takes advantage of continuity surprisingly well for a kids’ show with a messy history. It’s no masterpiece (it’s not even the best PR series), but it’s perfectly acceptable cheesy fun, much like, say, the Marvel movies, but aimed at a younger audience.

4 Likes

#EVERYBODY SHUT UP AND WATCH THIS!!!
(Warning for swearing)

[spoiler]Pffffff Voltron won instead of the Power Rangers, this is obviously baised. Let me write down an essay on why Screwattack is wrong even though I haven’t watched a single episode of Volton.

I just explained every comment section of Death Battle.
[/spoiler]

7 Likes

Pretty accurate
In Space has always been really overhyped, but I enjoyed it.
Also yeah DT makes sense before SPD due to Doggo Patrol’s two crossover episodes so rip

1 Like

I definitely enjoyed it

There were a few episodes that were legitimately good when you look past the acting

But yeah, the hype is way over-the-top

Yee

Wait a sec

.>Doggo Patrol

It’s SPD, not SDP

Git gud skrub

1 Like

space patrol doggo is also sometimes called the doggo patrol by sir doggo himself doggimus dogger

2 Likes

Welp

Don’t I look dumb now

THANKS BEEF

1 Like

Do we actually know what S.P.D. stands for in Power Rangers. I know what it stand for in Super Sentai, “Special Police Dekaranger”.

1 Like

It stands for Space Police Delta

3 Likes

it’s literally in the theme song you meme

1 Like