The Parliament of the Gods--A Prolog [Story][Characters][Worldbuilding]

I was inspired by a few of the writers here (especially @DarkMaestro ) to try my hand at writing.

So, here is a setup/comic relief side-story. I doubt that it affects the story much, but I really wanted to expand on why the gods haven’t acted until now, and I think disagreement among them could be an interesting aspect of that.
I’m posting it incomplete because I’m hoping to get criticism as I write.

So, without further ado:

The Parliament of the Gods,
In a glade, open to the clear blue sky above, and hidden from view by thick encircling forestry, six strange beings sat around a simple table. Each appeared in the perfect shape of a Matoran, but seemed to be made from a pure elemental substance.
“As chair,” began a being who seemed entirely made of water, “I hereby move to call this meeting to order. Are there any objections?”
There were no objections. The being made of flame took up quill, and began to keep the minutes, his fiery fingers singeing the parchment.
“So, for the first order of business on the agenda.” The watery being looked up from her notes at one of the others raising his hand. “The chair recognizes that the most honorable God of Wind would like to make a statement.”
“Thank you, ma’am.” The Wind God shifted anxiously in his seat as he spoke.

“In recent months,” he began, “a strange group of Matoran has surfaced, purportedly trying to collect the shards of the Mask of Time. At first, I doubted that they could get past the shrines’ guardians, even if they could find them. But, a few day ago, I checked on the shrine in my own region and…the piece was gone.”
Wind looked around at the other gods, expecting a dramatic response.
“So…?” The being made of ice asked.
“So?!” Wind repeated vehemently, “Mellum, do you remember what that mask is, what it can do?”
“Even if this group were to succeed in reassembling the mask,” Mellum replied, “there is no way a simple Matoran could ever possibly wield its power.”
“It’s not just Matoran,” Wind said hesitantly, “another creature was seen with them, something that wasn’t a Rahi, or a Matoran.”

“And, who was it that saw this monster?” Mellum asked skeptically.
Wind looked down somewhat dejected as he answered, “A nesting Gukko bird.”
Irritation flashed in Mellum’s eyes, “And you, want us to do…what? Awaken the Toa? On the grounds of a few fanatics and a Gukko’s nightmare?”
Wind took a deep breath, steeling himself to reply, “As a matter of fact, I do purpose that we summon the Toa. Don’t forget that the piece in my region has already been taken, a feat which would have required an army for any Matoran. So, either this group isn’t all Matoran, or they are far, far larger than anything we have anticipated. We must intervene.”

(update 7/23/2017)

As Wind spoke, Mellum’s temper slowly began slipping from his grasp.
“We ‘must’ intervene? We ‘MUST’ intervene?” Mellum almost shook with anger as he spoke, “Have you, forgotten the dangers, the inevitable consequences, of interfering in such a manner? The Toa are a sludge-hammer, not a scalpel.”
Wind leaned back, “Would you prefer that we intervene directly?”
“You would DARE…!”
Water interrupted him with a sharp crack her gavel against table, calling for order, “Lord of Ice, compose yourself.”
Mellum stopped, took a deep breath and grudgingly nodded to the Water Goddess, saying “Of course, Lady Akida. My apologizes.” There was an insincere edge to his voice.
“Very well,” said Akida, fingering her gavel, “you may continue.”
“Thank you, ma’am.” Mellum said in a suddenly flat voice, “I wish to inform the great master of gentle summer breezes,” Mellum bowed sardonically to the Wind God, “that his proposal is unfortunately lacking in both tact, and competence. We cannot guarantee the actions which a new team of Toa may take, and it seems…imprudent…to throw away the peace which our subjects have grown accustomed to for so long, simply upon a whim.”

“What peace are you referring to?” replied Wind, “Or, have you not been paying attention to affairs in your own region?”
Mellum began to answer indignantly, but a stone deity spoke up, cutting him off. “Uxar is right, Mellum,” the Stone God glanced between the Gods of Ice and Wind, “the island is in a state of unrest; every passing day brings the Matoran closer to war among themselves. I know not the matter concerning the Mask of Time, but if it is of the growing conflict we now speak, I say that we should act.”
Uxar smiled triumphantly, while Mellum sat back in silence.
After a moment, the being made of fire set down his quill, having finished his notes, and raised a hand. He quietly said, “Chair, the God of Fire wishes to make a statement.”
Surprised to hear him speak, Akida turned to look at him. “Of course, most honorable God of Fire.” She replied.
“Thank you, ma’am.” the Fire God replied, “It just strikes me that, in the question of a war, affairs created by Matoran do not concern us. It stands to reason that any problem they create for themselves they can also undo; why should we strip them of what little autonomy and self-determination they possess by solving all their problems for them?”

The table sat in stunned silence, staring at the Fire God. After a moment, he asked, “Does anyone wish to make a reply?”
“YES!” Mellum, Uxar, and the stone being all burst out at once.
“Where was this attitude during that last fiasco with the masks of power?”
“Since when did you feel this way?”
“Why didn’t we just leave the Matoran to the Brothers then?”
“. . .”

At the mention of the “Brothers,” the three fell silent, looking between each other to discover which of them had gone that one step too far.
Fire calmly answered their inquiries, “Forgive me, I fair that I was unclear a moment ago. What I meant to say was that I think we should only interfere in matters which the Matoran have proven unable to resolve themselves. This has always been my opinion. The affair with the Masks, and of course our own ancient conflict, were matters which the Matoran were clearly utterly incapable of dealing with. A simple tribal conflict, does not seem to fall into the category.”

The longwinded god cleared his throat, and prepared to go on further, but then seemed to think better of it, and went back to keeping the minutes.

7 Likes

Pretty good start; interesting concept of this sort of business meeting with the Elemental Gods.
One criticism I have so far is that you labelled this as a “comic relief”, but it reads as if it were to be taken seriously.
Like for example;[quote=“Drfredrick, post:1, topic:38902”]
Wind looked down somewhat dejected as he answered, “A nesting Gukko bird.”
Irritation flashed in Mellum’s eyes, “And you, want us to do…what? Awaken the Toa? On the grounds of a few fanatics and a Gukko’s nightmare?”
Wind took a deep breath, steeling himself to reply, “As a matter of fact, I do purpose that we summon the Toa. Don’t forget that the piece in my region has already been taken, a feat which would have required an army for any Matoran. So, either this group isn’t all Matoran, or they are far, far larger than anything we have anticipated. We must intervene.”
[/quote]

This is supposed to be a comedic moment (or I believe its supposed to be a comedic moment), but it’s played straight and ends up sounding like it should be taken seriously. Since the Elemental Gods themselves have little to no canon personalities established, the audience has nothing to go on when determining if conversations are supposed to be jokes or absurd to the characters.
What if instead Wind and Ice bantered back and forth passive-aggressively to the point of being almost childlike? That can be clearer to the reader that it’s a comedic moment, and even though we don’t know their personalities, imagining Gods bickering can bring in some humor.

Or just forget everything I just said and switch it to a more serious what-if story. :confused:

There’s only a few paragraphs so far, so maybe there’s more comedic moments ahead; but for right now that’s all I have to say.
But otherwise good start!:+1:

1 Like

Thanks!

Yah, I’m not sure that I should have labelled the whole scene as comic relief, but that definitely was supposed to be a comedic moment.
I happen to personally really love dry wit to the point that I read comedy into most serious works; I’ll remember to the dial the dryness back a bit in the future.
Thanks for the advice!

Updated! Sorry it too so long.

2 Likes