Toa Helryx (Canon Contest #1: The First)

Haven’t you figured it out yet? You have to be insane to be a Toa at all. It’s the first requirement for the job.

Toa Helryx was the first Toa to exist, created by the Great Beings. Initially, she was a member of the Hand of Artahka in the Before Time, and after that group was disbanded, founded the Order of Mata Nui.

My rendition of Helryx was primarily based on BionicleChicken’s illustration of Helryx as part of a joint effort between us.

Of course, I took my own liberties with the design to give it some more character, but I truly love BC’s rendition.

The Kanohi that she is wearing (a Krakhaan with a minifig weapon attached using a BIONICLE rubber band) is based on this prototype from 2006.

The usage of a Mata torso was based on these comments from Greg:

Since Helryx is not actually physically older than many of the inhabitants of the Matoran universe, Greg would ascribe her frail appearance to the fact that she has been through a lot.

1. Helryx is described as being incredible ancient and disturbingly frail in appearance, yet she was created at about the same time as most of the other MU inhabitants. Is this just due to her being one of the earliest creations and her design is just different, or has she actually considerably aged? Also, is she actually physically weaker than an average Toa?
  2. I see it as she’s been through a lot.
    Official Greg Dialogue | Page 295

Helryx would probably have something close to a Toa Mata build in terms of appearance.

1. What “Toa Build” would Helryx have in set form?
  2. Probably something close to a Mata build
    Official Greg Dialogue | Page 254

And, as requested, the breakdown photos.

Thank you for viewing.

47 Likes

The mace is nice. I agree with your interpretation, she isn’t necessarily ‘old’ and skinny but more someone who has been through a lot. I also like the large ratio of black.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m very proud of the mace. The black is in part due to the Mask, and since I don’t want to paint it and can’t photoshop it, I decided to use black throughout, which I think goes with the spy-vibe that the Order has.

3 Likes

You have brought that drawing to life. Not only that, your Helryx MOC has the features of a mata build without being a copypaste and you even put the style of a prototype mask as well as the '08 Mistika shield to use. I hope yours does well! :punch:

4 Likes

Great entry! Out of all the entries submitted so far, I think this one implements the mata torso the best

3 Likes

EDIT: This was in the topic post, my bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the mask inspired by that prototype book cover?

Yeah that’s the intention.

1 Like