Var's Animated Series Toa Designs [Art][Character][Pitch]

I thought of the same joke.

1 Like

I am not gonna post that old one agian.

Var must make a Voriki. The 7th tribe iis out of my hands…
Edit:
Have a Voriki

She is already Nuva like in armor n stuff sooo

5 Likes

so… can’t you give a shot to the animation style?

Var seems veeeeeeeeeery into this one. And convincing him other wise is gonna take nothing short of MONTHS.
Time I do not have

2 Likes

To be honest, any doubts I had about the art style with the legs was immediately resolved by your edits. Like, yikes, seeing them side by side, those edits immediately lose out on the flow, style and form that the originals had.

So if anything, you’ve made me that much more assured that Var knew what he was doing when he made those the designs the way they were. I don’t think that any amount of time would convince either of us otherwise. The thicker legs you made just look way, way worse.

1 Like

-[Fustration]-

4 Likes

I’m very tempted to make some fan art of these…with Var’s okay of course…

@IllustriousVar or @Jon , would you mind pinning this one like with the Toa minifig thread please?

I am late, but I have to say I like the design. After looking at all the posts, The original Style is still the best for me. Even with the skinny legs, It gives it a sense of action.

However I have some minor complaints. Gali is going to have a big thigh gap, well not sure if this is a complaint. However that cloth used to cover her converges into a dot. Unlike normal cloth, giving the impression she is wearing a mini skirt. No problems here on the North of america, just wondering how this will affect the international reach it will have. Some countries are not as open. Either way, the main audience for this line has always been the United States.

Tahu looks like he is slouching, a little. It gives me the impression a Gorilla would make if they where enhanced to have a more human posture. I thought Onua would be the more gorilla looking. Very aggressive, not sure I would want him as a leader, but props if that is what you were going for.

Onua has a weird problem with his right wrist. It is crooked. Granted most of the weight is going to be supported by the other hand, but you still need the right hand to counter balance the weight. and having the wrist fold like that will not help. Not sure if you have a two handed hammer to try this. Unfortunately not sure how you can fix it. I am sure there is a reason why the wrist looks like that.

Pohatu’s nose and chin. Everyone has talked about it. It looks weird, however it looks better than all the proposes solutions. The chin is not so bad, considering the nose is what distracts you from it. The size of the mouth hole is fine. Sorry, can’t help. However, even if I cannot find a solution I still cannot accept it. It is that distracting. Maybe I’ll get used to it over time? Moving away from it. His weapon does not give much of a sense of weight. Specially considering how unbalanced it is. Normal people would find a way to balance the humongous rock on one side, by placing it closer to their center of gravity. Unless of course, it has a counter weight. I do not see that little crystal weighting as much as the other five crystal on the mace though.

Now, to what I like.
Well, this is the majority of things here. The color schemes of all the Toa.
All the weapons. Even though they are not the official ones, I like them all.
I also like how their poses exude their personalities.
I specially like Lewa’s. If I have to pick, she is my favorite pose, I also like the creative use of her elemental power to move axes through the air. I imagine her arrogantly commanding her axes to attack her enemies like one would do dogs, while she sits back, surveying the field. However she also gives a playful side to the pose.
I also like Kopaka’s posture, very military -like. Organized and procedure based. Just from that I can imagine the Style Iho uses to fight. Rows upon rows of infantry. shield in front spears pointing towards the enemy. A little like “300” Spartans. Except more calculated, and mechanical. Shield bash, spear stab, block. Advance! Shield bash, spear stab, block. Advance!

I have to add, fantastic backgrounds.

so, having toothpick legs that go into clown feet is preferable to actually having mass?

3 Likes

It is preferable considering that it gives it a more dynamic look overall.
Giving them more mass in the legs does not work with the style of animation as much. It is possible and watchable but does not work as well. The clown feet, is being worked on from what I remember.

The proportions were made with intention.

1 Like

cool love it gali is my favorite design! but could you do a voriki design?and I think kopaka and Voriki would look better with a cape (and I mean longer cape for Kopaka)

Awesome Designs! However, i think making Lewa female is kinda too obvious, i think Pohatu would be more interesting choice to be a second female Toa.

2 Likes

Welcome to the boards, KT1
is this joke dead yet?

4 Likes

Is anything happening with this?

1 Like

if it’s been 5 years with no updates i’d presume it’s not going anywhere anytime soon

3 Likes

Unfortunately no. Brickonicle was only ever a proof of concept and the TTV crew made it clear early on they weren’t going to write anything for it. However, Brickonicle would make for an awesome open source community story. I wish they would take fan writing submissions for stories and hold contests for them to be canonized. Each canonized entry progresses the story.

5 Likes

ngl that could be cool, jump on that meso and eljay…

1 Like