Weye - Toa of Lightning, G1 Toa Community Project

Name: Weye
Toa Team: Toa Karda (formerly), Makuta Ornek’s Toa Hagah
Element: Lightning
Weapons: Thunder Blade, shield
Kanohi: Elda, Great Mask of Detection (during the mission to safe Mata Nui’s life), Kakama, Great Mask of Speed

Another Toa for @TheMoltenKing’s G1 Toa project.
The most difficult part on this MOC actually was keeping it mostly one hue of gold. What settled this colour scheme in the end was a lack of a good looking dark gold mask - correct me, if I’m wrong, but there only exist four different shapes: Kualsi, Avohkii, Kraahkan and Lhikan’s Hau, all of which would look horrible here. The shield’s colour I couldn’t change, of course and it sticks out a bit, but since it’s just equipment, it’s not that bad in my opinion.
The build itself is mostly identical to Callik’s but that is due to part shortage and - after all - they’re meant to have served in the same team, so I think it’s not that big of a problem.
Oh, and you’re going to see a picture of Makuta Ornek again. Feel free to comment on anything I could do better on him, too (he’s still lacking his proper sword and the armor on the back of one hand).

Read everything to this point? Good, because I’ve got some more for you ;). Weye’s backstory is not going to be as long as Callik’s text, though, don’t fear.

Weye on the left, Callik on the right, behind them Makuta Ornek.

Weye became a Toa in the early days of the Matoran Universe and eventually joined Toa Jovan’s team. She fought in the final battle against the League of Six Kingdoms and later helped her team locate and retrieve the Kanohi Ignika to save the Great Spirit’s life after the Matoran Civil War weakened him. Fulfilling their mission cost one of her teammates his life and turned most others into Turaga, though, which caused the remaining Toa to split up.
The following millennia Weye spent traveling, briefly joining various Toa teams, helping them out and learning from them. This was also the first time she met Escias.
Eventually she was summoned to Destral, where Makuta Ornek, the Brotherhood’s military commander, offered her a position in his Toa Hagah team. Weye accepted and helped in selecting the other members of the team - Escias, Toa of Iron, Callik, Toa of Air, Masir, Toa of Sonics, Palatus, Toa of Stone and Jaras, Toa of Fire - all of them chosen for their combat skills, since it was evident that they would see many battles at Ornek’s side.

When Ornek was charged with rooting out a band of pirates on the west coast of the Northern Continent, his Toa Hagah accompanied him as usual. However, the pirates turned out to be better organized than Ornek expected, forcing the Dark Hunters, which were to reinforce him to withdraw and thus leaving his flank open.
Before he could move his troops the pirates stormed his position. While Ornek and the other Toa Hagah were meeting them, Weye noticed something in the corner of her eye. She turned and reacted instinctively, interposing herself between Ornek and the oncoming bolt of energy, that killed her instantly but gave the Makuta time to deal with its source and in the end defeat the pirates.

13 Likes

A simple MoC. The gold and light grey don’t mix well with the blue and white. It doesn’t help that Iruni’s shield is a different shade of gold.

4 Likes

Not sure about the mask but I like everything else. post link to MOC project topic please

@ToaSonus

I personally don’t mind the gold that much, but the grey parts I would definitely replace, if I had them in white or blue.
But do the lower leg parts even exist in white or this blue?

@TheMoltenKing

It is linked.

2 Likes

Toa of lightning or white and blue. Just saying.

Oh, I added the gold due to her being a Toa Hagah.

The colours clash a bit, but otherwise pretty good.

The MOC looks alright for a simple build, but the mask look out of place with the rest of the colours.

Might have overdone the gold a little, especially since some golds don’t mix well with others.

The weapon is a great choice, but the color scheme is too much.

a little bit too much gold , other than that nice moc

While I personally don’t mind it too much, perhaps it’s the breastplate that adds this “too much gold” vibe. I wonder if Callik would have “too much silver” if his breatplate was all silver …

I guess someday, when I have the parts and nothing else to build I just might try doing a custom torso for both of the Toa.

Mm, I like the MoC, but the mask color is is kind of a big issue… Couldn’t you have given her a mask in Mata blue or white?

Also, why did you put the forearms the way you did? It looks really restrictive…

Why so many don’t like the mask is beyond me - I actually like it quite a lot and the slightly different gold tone doesn’t bother me at all.

Why I didn’t give her a different colour of mask was a) all the other masks I could have used looked terrible on her (blue Akaku, blue Hau, blue Pakari, blue Kaukau, white Akaku, white Miru) and b) she’s supposed to be a Toa Hagah, so I felt like a metal coloured mask was necessary - gold here, because that is the colour of the armor.

And the forearms just offer a different way of articulation - also Norik and Iruini had them attached roughly the same way. (ok, their shoulders were attached differently to the torso, but …)